Sony S755 Walkman initial impressions
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #46 of 58
Nov 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 58
Nice man, now I want one and I already own an X series :p One thing that bugged me about sony walkmans though is that they never had on-the-go playlist support. Does yours have that feature?

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 58

The on the go playlist and the gapless playback would 2 of my top wish lists for the walkman also.  I would bet that the new s series has the on the go playlist because the new E series walkman has it.
Quote:
Nice man, now I want one and I already own an X series :p One thing that bugged me about sony walkmans though is that they never had on-the-go playlist support. Does yours have that feature?

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #50 of 58
Well, it's been one week, time for an update! I'll go the things I've found, comparing it to my old Sony s616 and my Cowon D2+ (which i no longer have). Here's a couple points I've found:

Playlists - the good: yes it supports playlists on the go. the bad: it only lets you add one song at a time. stupid? yes. I never use it, why even bother implementing it if you're not going to do it right! Cowon and ipod have some of the best on the go playlist generating, i used it a bit on both my ipod and my old d2.

The interface - although it's pretty, high-res and transitions are smooth, it is a tiny bit slower than the s616 to navigate. i take the good with the bad, it's still very nice. Album art just looks awesome, and finding music is quick and easy!

Random - I always use the random "shuffle all" functions on my mp3 players. On the old s616, if you hit random and found something you like, you could just press down a couple of times and then play everything by that artist or album. The removed that function from this new interface, which is a shame. The intelligent shuffle function is the thing that makes this player, it is how i listen to music every day. It's very intuitive, and the "morning, daytime, evening, night" function is fricken awesome!

Battery life - Amazing. I didn't charge it for an entire week and it was only down to half bars. Very similar to my s616 in terms of life, it keeps going and going. I estimate I had it running for about 30 hours through that week. A lot better than my old Cowon D2+.

Sound quality - I did a couple more side-by-sides with my old s616 and my ipod classic. It's nearly identical to my s616 in terms of tone, but with a clearer bottom end and slightly more detailed top end. But only marginally. The s616 is slightly warmer. Still has that great Sony sound. I have a feeling it doesn't play nice with the M50s because they have quite a V shaped tone to them and so does the Sony, meaning the highs and lows get boosted a little too much. The bundled headphones are quite fun and amazing for stock buds. Plus they noise cancel. It's summer here, and the cicadas just kicked in, the headphones cancel them completely, which has made my day better :) They can drive my DT880 to listenable volume at about 25/30 volume, but it's a bit floppy.

Is this player good value? A resounding yes for AU$199, it can't be beaten. I've got a LOD on the way, so I'm looking forward to that. Add proper playlisting, maybe a memory card slot and gapless and you might have the greatest player ever...

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #52 of 58
Starting to see some of last year's S series models getting discontinued.  But it's really shocking to me that Sony puts so little into marketing the Walkman anywhere other than parts of Europe or Japan.  There was no one even at the booth when the S series first appeared this year and there has been no marketing for it whatsoever.  With xmas upon us I would think from a business standpoint they would have this thing in all markets and really making a big push. 

I guess the Walkman is such a small market for Sony they just don't really bother.  Such a shame.  It's one of the best players available. 

I sure hope we start seeing these pop up in the US markets in late Jan or Feb next year.  The battery on my S639 is starting to wear out on me. 

I wonder if there is any significant sound quality difference between the new S series and the new E series. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #53 of 58
My s639 battery wore out several months ago unfortunately. was a great little player. For my ears, I thought the s739 sounded better than the s755 (no amp, just into JH16 IEMs). The s755 didn't seem to have as much power output, so the music sounded a lot more muddy.. just not as precise and clean as the s739. I didn't compare the same track side by side though so that could be part of it. Also, according to the sales rep, E series << S series

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #54 of 58

Quote:
My s639 battery wore out several months ago unfortunately. was a great little player. For my ears, I thought the s739 sounded better than the s755 (no amp, just into JH16 IEMs). The s755 didn't seem to have as much power output, so the music sounded a lot more muddy.. just not as precise and clean as the s739. I didn't compare the same track side by side though so that could be part of it. Also, according to the sales rep, E series << S series

I've decided now after getting told that EU a845's are pretty much useless and what you've said about the S755, I'm going to opt for the S745 since it's still fairly cheap and well IMHO it looks better than the S755's curvy shape.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #58 of 58
bought this player a day before yesterday... I'm impressed with the build quality.

Maybe someone knows what is the optimal album art size for the screen of this mp3 player? 250x250?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back