Sony S755 Walkman initial impressions
Nov 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 58
As requested, I added lots of interface pics :D

The thing that looks awesome is the animation on this thing, it looks modern and smooth.

DaeO - start up time when you first copy new files is about 20 - 30 seconds to add ALL your music. If you add a folder after that, re-initialization is about 5 - 10 seconds. Once it's added songs to the database, turn on time is about 1 or 2 seconds after you press play. If it just goes into standby (screen blacked out), it's instant.

If you press pause and don't touch it, it'll switch off after a few minutes. If you pause it and turn "hold" on, it'll switch off in about 5 seconds.

Marcus_C - you still can't delete files as far as I can tell... yeah, this would have been useful :) I'm glad other people have music collection OCD like me :)

It sounds nice and clean compared to the old player :) Second day.... love it!

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 58
Thanks for the interface pics, I like the look of that eq, and I'm sure it's a very good EQ and parametric seeing as this is a Sony.

I'll compare the EQ to my NWZ-B153 Sony gumstick (it's the same EQ on all of the gumsticks I believe).

S755 = 400Hz - 1kHz - 2.6kHz - 6.3kHz - 16kHz

B153 = 100Hz - 315Hz 1kHz3.15kHz - 10kHz

My immediate impression is the 6.3kHz register will be able to either lower sibilance and harshness  which is common in that area, or be able to accentuate fine vocals and stringed instruments etc.

The 16kHz register can compensate for the roll-off in that area present on almost all IEM's, unlike headphones.

I'd like to see the S755 EQ expanded to 7 bands, including 100Hz for sub-bass (or hell.. why not 50Hz) and 10kHz (or 10.5 or 11) for airiness, it adds that extra touch imho.

Of course, perhaps Sony knows better than I do, I'm not sure, my 7 band eq theory makes perfect sense to me, though I have noted that the 5 band parametric EQ on my sony players does sound a touch better than a typical basic eq in a media player program, such as the 18-band EQ present in foobar.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 58
hmm really tempted... lol, I was actually going to buy the S744 not long ago, though saw these. Though imo the s744/5 looks better. sleeker design.

Btw do you guys know why the s755's are cheaper than the S745's?? It's by a fair amount aswell like over $100 AUD?

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 58

Thanks for that - I think that is perfectly reasonable.

What about gapless playback?

Quote:
As requested, I added lots of interface pics :D

The thing that looks awesome is the animation on this thing, it looks modern and smooth.

DaeO - start up time when you first copy new files is about 20 - 30 seconds to add ALL your music. If you add a folder after that, re-initialization is about 5 - 10 seconds. Once it's added songs to the database, turn on time is about 1 or 2 seconds after you press play. If it just goes into standby (screen blacked out), it's instant.

If you press pause and don't touch it, it'll switch off after a few minutes. If you pause it and turn "hold" on, it'll switch off in about 5 seconds.

Marcus_C - you still can't delete files as far as I can tell... yeah, this would have been useful :) I'm glad other people have music collection OCD like me :)

It sounds nice and clean compared to the old player :) Second day.... love it!

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 58
Sorry to fire the questions at you (or anyone else who knows) but can you use the newer sony players with the sony (nwu3 i think??) dock without butchering it like you have to for the x-series (i.e. does it come with an adapter for the dock). It's rather useful being able to drop them in the dock and a couple of hours later they're charged with fresh tunes and electricity. Failing that is there a new dock for the newer one's?

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 58
Marcus_C - It came with a dock connector, but i'm not too sure about dock types or if it's compatible. I've got one of those Suntac line out cables for my S616 in the car, and the S755 works with it, charges it too. The connector and USB cable are exactly the same as the others. The guy at the Sony store said there was a limited deal where if you buy the player, you could get a Sony speaker dock (this one: http://www.sony.com.au/product/srs-nwgu50) for $60... if I bring back my invoice I can pick it up and I just might.... Why are Sony not advertising this deal?!?!? They're insane :)

DaeO - Yeah, standby and switch on are so imperceptible, it's like the player is constantly on standby. No gapless unfortunately, but the gap is pretty small, and better than the D2 by miles.

matto - No idea why they're cheaper, especially since they come with NC33 noise cancelling headphones, which retail for like AU$100 here!! The headphones aren't amazing quality, they're sort of pretty decent, like slightly clearer CX300s, but not mega hifi. The best thing about them is the noise cancelling, which is a complete steal, considering the unit also operates as a stand alone active noise cancelling system with line input... Completely kills the really noisy AC at work, which is like being on a airplane...

Must be cheaper manufacturing processes, cheaper flash etc. This player feels HEAPS better than the previous S series with speakers and E series. Feels expensive, looks expensive, is damn cheap... I love it :)

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #26 of 58
Thenightman - it's not bad with the m50s, but it seems to be lacking power compared to my old cowon d2 or my ipad. This makes it a bit loose and flubby. Same with my dt880. I never got the impression that the sony's have very powerful amps, they seem to be earbud or iem monsters, but no good at driving full size headphones. YMMV though...

Still sounds good, just not as tight and wide as an amped sound.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 58
Arggh! I want one of these so bad but there's no confirmed release date for the UK. Sony UK customer services don't even know!

The only option is importing one. Seems they're currently available in:
Hong Kong
Japan
Australia
Germany

The Hong Kong version seems to have English/Chinese menus (some options are untranslated)... The Japanese one is 100% Japanese as far as I know... It costs 150 Euros in Germany which isn't that great becuase of the current exchange rate for Euros to £ - that on top of shipping costs to the UK make it too expensive (and it's not certain you can change the language...)

As for the AUS version.. this seems the best bet as it has English menus! Now to find a reasonably priced supplier....
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 58
I have the s639, but its old and the battery life is terrible now, so i recently bought a s545. sold that cause it was crap and HUGE. I went to the melbourne sony store at galleria yesterday and had a play with both the s755 and the s745 (last year's model). I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the s755. It sounded muddy compared to the s745 (they had one last 8gb in stock, but i listened to Rodney's one - sony staff). Pity I didn't take my 639 along cause it would have been nice to do the comparison. I tested it on my JH16s - it could be that the amp is not as powerful in the new one, hence the massive price drop?

Anyway, I have to say that with the A and X series being axed in australia, I don't think much of the current walkman lineup! Was considering getting in an A series from japan or europe - it seems quite cheap in europe but they limit the maximum output limit. The dilemma continues as to what player to buy :/

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 58
chafingbuttocks - agreed, my experience with the s755 is that it's no good with full size headphones... but the s616 was the same too. I'm going to get a LOD later so I can at least run my M50s and DT880s if I want to. My experience with my PK3, KSC75s and UM1s however has been pretty positive. The PK3 sound is to die for, really, really clean and wide. A lot tighter that the s616.

ok, mid week impressions:

battery life so far is great... i've used it about 6 hours per day since Monday, a lot of the time with noise cancelling on (so 24 hours straight so far). The battery thing only shows 1 bar out of 4 gone so far and I haven't charged it yet. I'll see how it goes.

I'm loving these noiseless headphones, sometimes I leave the music on 1 or 2 on the volume dial and just enjoy the silence at work. The amp is definitely a lot weaker than my old Cowon D2 or even my iPod classic, but it's a lot deeper and wider with my lower powered headphones. It's not as accurate as the Cowon, but more enjoyable if that makes any sense at all...

Loving the screen, it's really clear. So far the only downside i'm seeing is it can't power the M50s very well, and they're not too hard to power, so yeah, i'm definitely thinking maybe the amp has been downsized?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back