Sony S review on CNET
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #16 of 26
Just picked one up, let me tell you, getting video to work on it is a pain! Music is indeed drag and drop, but the AAC files in my itunes go over to the player as MPEG 4 movie files, so it wont play on my car stereo. Grr.
Nice size, lightweight, sounds great.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 26
I was considering the S-series 8gb, but most reviews Ive seen show that the Sansa Fuze has much better sound quality and output volume. And its considerably cheaper!

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering the S-series 8gb, but most reviews Ive seen show that the Sansa Fuze has much better sound quality and output volume. And its considerably cheaper!

Unless the S series sound has gone down hill from since the A series, I don't see how the Sansa Fuze can sound much better. I have the clip ( which sounds the same as a Fuze ) and a A828, they both sound great with no discernible differences

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I briefly listened S545, it sounded similar to my S639, it's good.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #20 of 26
Watching video is slightly irritating. While i have found a free conversion program that lets me do so, (format factory 2.10), the viewing angle is a pain. Its primarily designed to be viewed vertical. So if you flip the image to make it larger, you have to angle the player a bit.
Oh and the radio doesnt work too well if you dont have headphones attached, they act as the antenna. FM sounds excellent!
Still havent found a way to get my Honda Fit to play the AAC files on the player. Anyone have any ideas?
I am nitpicking at this point, for its size, this player works extremely well as an all in one, with great sound quality (to my ears). Small enough to work out with, and carry around.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ignore him,................
confused.gif

Now, I only have 2 gripes about the new S Series: It lacks the senseMe playlist feature, and it's not 32gb!!!! Otherwise, it's not a bad deal at all. Good looking out.

I have compared this new S-series (with and without speakers) and neither of them compare to the quality of my two A818's. The newer S-models feel cheap...cheap...cheap... Very Disappointed.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have compared this new S-series (with and without speakers) and neither of them compare to the quality of my two A818's. The newer S-models feel cheap...cheap...cheap... Very Disappointed.

Girlfriend dropped mine today, (grr), about 2 feet, bounced off the concrete curb. Minor scuff, unharmed, works fine.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #23 of 26
Old S series is a gem and cheap too! New S series is ugly and big... speakers? Come on! I'd get the older model over the new one. I don't know how the clip sounds, but whoever said the Sony player sounds cheap is half deaf.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #24 of 26
This would be a good portable recorder capable of playing MP3s. As for the gentleman who says Sony's SQ sucks, I completely disagree..I think Sony X1061 has the best SQ among all players in current market. You really got to hear it to make the right judgement.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 26
Well I just returned my Sony S545 to Best Buy for a few disappointing reasons. I've owned an A818 for the past two years for comparison. The new S series d-pad is ergonomically inferior to previous models. On previous models the d-pad was slightly grooved and the middle button was higher so you knew what you were doing just by feel. The new s545's d-pad is straight level with unit and so is the middle button. It's hard not to push the wrong direction/choice when not looking right at it. Another bad thing is the screen. On the model I had, the screen glared so bad on certain videos and was too dark overall that I would take anything over it. It looked fine for music but when you turn it sideways for videos I didn't like it at all. And the whole thing was so "glossy" black you couldn't keep dust off of it. Sony also cut out a lot of nice features that previous models had such as being able to change the background wallpaper and theme. Best Buy had two of the NWZ-S639F models on clearance so I quickly bought one of those. It's my opinion the previous walkmans are better - by a landslide.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 26
Can anyone on here who has owned or heard all the Sony models (A818, A829, S639 etc) tell any difference in the sound quality of them?

I always thought the sound quality went X series> A series> S series > E series, but lots of people seem to say the S ones sound a lot better than the others?

Looking back from memory my old A818 was actually a bit better sounding than the one I'm using now (A729) shame the A818 only went up to 8gb though and not 16gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back