Sony S review on CNET
Sep 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

tstarn06

Banned
Not that CNET reviews are much, but even she says the S Series is not worth an upgrade. Good price if you want a new Sony, I guess. And it knocks my Sony (A818) and other older models out of the box in terms of resale value. $109 for 8GB Sony is cheap, and $129 for 16GB is even better. But the new Clip+ is $100 for 4GB onboard ($50) and 16GB via micros sdhc ($50). I have both a Sony and a Clip, and they have fairly equal SQ. So the clip+ and a new card is a no brainer in my view. Who wants to watch video on that screen?

Anyway...

Sony S-Series Walkman (second generation, 8GB, violet) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't want to try the S-series. I even have been disappointed with X series of the soundquality. to my ear, X series is not worth to hype. Maybe next deneration "xx"series.

But I think Walkman era have been really passed away. Walkman brand have no junk value any more. For it's cellphone also share the brand of Walkman, can it represent hifi? any Sony audio related audio product can tag with Walkman lab. Maybe someday, Sony will have a Walkman camera, who know? Sony is crazy to squeeze it's ancient elder brand before drop it to the dustbine

That is to say, if take away the tag of Walkman, the sony mp3 players can be normal as any rest cheap brands. Who can tell me what is the difference of S Series with any other 20 dollars non brand player in term of soun quality?

Japan have been selected a new generation president, also America have been voted a new president, both of them represent new generation image.

Stop Walkman. I will definitely never willing to buy any walkman series for I don't want to buy a hifi product still stay at the cassette memory.

It's time of " HIFIMAN" or AMP3-MAN. wake up please Sony!

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 26
by the way, Tstarnt 06, I am disappointed on you also, you misleaded me cost my treasure time to try to find out any new creations on Sony S series review on CNET. But I have nothing found.

I only remember the last sentence of the CNET review:

S-Series will be very disappointed by the successor to the line. Although the new version is much cheaper, it represents a diluted version of its former self. In this case, newer definitely does not mean better.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 26
Ignore him,................
confused.gif

Now, I only have 2 gripes about the new S Series: It lacks the senseMe playlist feature, and it's not 32gb!!!! Otherwise, it's not a bad deal at all. Good looking out.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 26
To me it looks like Tstarn is just pointing out an early review of a new product...
I prefer the design of the s638/s739 myself but that's just personal preferences. The cnet review makes it sound like the product range is moving backwards but I think more opinions might be needed to define whether it's really worse/better than the current S series.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's time of " HIFIMAN" or AMP3-MAN. wake up please Sony!

You need to stop. You need to understand that NOT EVERYONE HERE needs the ultimate sound quality.

I don't care about HIFIMAN or AMP3. They're too big, too inconvenient. I care about sound quality, but there is a limit to that. And that is my conclusion, after 50 cassette portables + 20+ MD portables + several portable amps. I realized I don't need all of this to be satisfied. And you should respect people like me.

So, respect other people please. And improve your language skills, please.

It's extremely annoying for you to go around and telling everyone they need an AMP3, even when they're obviously interested in something much cheaper.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 26
This thing play AAC? As much as i like the price and size of the clip+, 80GB of music would be a pain to rerip. This could work until i have time to rip to lossless. Does the E series sq compare to the S?

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to stop. You need to understand that NOT EVERYONE HERE needs the ultimate sound quality.

I don't care about HIFIMAN or AMP3. They're too big, too inconvenient. I care about sound quality, but there is a limit to that. And that is my conclusion, after 50 cassette portables + 20+ MD portables + several portable amps. I realized I don't need all of this to be satisfied. And you should respect people like me.

So, respect other people please. And improve your language skills, please.

It's extremely annoying for you to go around and telling everyone they need an AMP3, even when they're obviously interested in something much cheaper.

The AMP3 maybe a little flabby but it certainly isn't big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back