Sony R10 world's best closed headphone?
Dec 4, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
If the thread-starter has a source for a new R10, I suspect he will end up kicking himself if he lets it slip away.

Agreed. I just hope I can find one in a few months when I have the money.

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #48 of 75
MarkL,

I wish I can buy an R-10, b/c according Wayne, I have one of the best amp for them. However due to the current price, R-10 is really out of my price range. I don't mind spending $1500 dollars for a pair of L3000, but for $3000 dollars for an R10 is a bit too much. I wish I landed a job and bought the R10, when it was below 2 grands.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetAsleep
So even with my RS-1 I guess some people in the house still have the need to complain about it leaking sound

FeetAsleep,

The R10 does not isolate well. As a matter of fact, I'd say it leaks as much sound as a fully open headphone. If you want isolation, it's not the best choice.

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
eek.gif
Not for this listener.
tongue.gif

Me loves the R10's emotionally.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
FeetAsleep,

The R10 does not isolate well. As a matter of fact, I'd say it leaks as much sound as a fully open headphone. If you want isolation, it's not the best choice.

True that the R10's do not isolate well. Not true that they leak as much sound as a fully open headphone, not even close. Even though the wood is not thick, it blocks some sound. Not a lot, mind you, but it is certainly more isolating than headphones like the HD650's and especially the K1000's, which have absolutely zero isolation.
k1000smile.gif

-Ed

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The R10's are not entirely acoustically sealed. While they leak a lot less sound than open phones like the RS-1's, someone sitting right next to you will probably hear something. But across the room, they probably won't.

Ed,

Basically, it was that post that prompted me to add my two Eurocents.
biggrin.gif

I am absolutely convinced that one can hear the R10s playing music from across the room. Courtesy of Nik, I once compared the W100 and the R10 head-to-head (Hi, Nik!). And while the W100 is no isolation champion (compared to closed studio monitors like the 770 Pro, for example), the R10 provided next to no isolation. So, if FeetAsleep's primary reason for substituting his RS-1 is isolation, the R10s suck at it.

They are very musical and enjoyable, though. I feel the same is true for the RS-1, btw. Never heard the L3000,though. If it was more emotionally involving than the R10, that would be high praise indeed.

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #53 of 75
Colleagues,

I'd second Patus's question re: 4070.

I did demo an early pair some 4 years ago, but had problems to get a proper fit (too wide for my head and in-adequate swivel for proper adjustments, resulting in bad bass)
Hence I now have the Omegas 2 & 007T , but I still want some closed phones for better sound insulation in & out.
I heard the 4070 was improved in the meantime - any infos in this ?

Thanks & regards

Urs

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetAsleep
So even with my RS-1 I guess some people in the house still have the need to complain about it leaking sound, sigh
frown.gif

I'm now looking for a closed headphone that will provide a fun, up front, detailed sound like the RS-1.

R10 owners, or people that have listened to it extensively should I give these a shot? I'd specifically be looking into the later production numbers; the ones that have more bass.

Thanks again

The Audio-Technica W5000 seems to be described as fun, up-front, detailed
in these threads:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150364

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151090

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
I am absolutely convinced that one can hear the R10s playing music from across the room. Courtesy of Nik, I once compared the W100 and the R10 head-to-head.

If the pads on the R10 were shot, this might be possible. If the pads on the R10 are in decent condition, you won't hear the headphone across the room if someone is wearing it. I've compared AT headphones and the R10 more than once, as I've had AT's and R10's simultaneously for years.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #60 of 75
Markl>I think you are beind led up the wrong path. From what I know of you and from your posts I read the reasons why you love your R-10's are the very same reason why you would dislike the L3000's. They sound completely different to each other.

What the L3000's offer is an alternative sound not a replacement. You like the highs present then comparitively the L3000's sound muted compared. You like the detail and transparency of the R-10's then L3000's will dissappoint as it doesn't have the ability to exceed the R-10's abilties. The midrange of the R-10 is smoother than the L3000's. From a bass point of view than the L3000's offer the quantity and the impact to go with it.

How much bass does it have? Similar to the Ps-1 albeit slightly less impact. Is it bass heavy? If you compare it to the R-10's then yes, if to the Ps-1's then no.

So why would people choose the L3000's over the R-10's. The one ability the L3000's have over the R-10's is the ability to sound better than the R-10's using modest equipment.

The L3000's offer a slice of high end sound for relatively less money when you compare it to the R-10's or he90 systems. It is still pricey though.

But please do take the opportunity to audition one when you get the chance as YMMV and a)my headphone experience is somewhat limited and b)I haven't been a member that long.

Ultimately I find even though it has decent detail and transparency over the likes of hd650's/Rs-1's etc I find it lacks compared to R-10's. Qualia's. hE90's etc.

Don't get me wrong I do like the L3000's but like all headphones a)they have their flaws b) the fanboys won't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back