Sony R10, CD3000 and Grado PS1 Match Up
Jul 26, 2007 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Boomana and I got together last night to get an idea of how far off the cd3000 is from the R10. Is the cd3000 a poor man/womens R10 solution or is it something else altogether. While we were at it we threw the PS1 in there for kicks.

First off what did we use to compare the headphones with? They were all amped with the Eddie Current HD2 and sourced with the Wadia 302.
For this short comparison we used 2 differnt types of music Jose Gonzalez's cd Veneer (highly recommended) and Led Zep ll. This gave us a range of singer acoustic guitar and full on rock to see if the headphones in question had strenghts with different types of music.

We started with Jose Gonzalez through the CD 3000s and it sounded nice but bright and somewhat thinner than we would have liked. There was less bidy to both the guitar and vocals than with the other two cans. THe headstage was excellent possibly the best of the three and if you like your headphones on the slightly brighter side (but not painfull in any way) then these should be on your vintage headphone list. They were also vert PRATy and you were instantly tapping your toes.
The R10s sounded like Jose had just upgraded his guitar as the tone had immensly more body and you could begin to pick up more of his picking style (he finger picks in a spanish style). His vocals were fleshy and sounded more filled out. The headstage was not as broad but served this singer songwriter well.
When we went to the PS1s they felt like a mix between the two in the area of body more filled out than the cd3000 but not as fleshy as the R10s. I felt like this was a nice balance. They did struggle in the headstage dept when compared to the other two. They did a great job of picking up detail and had you hearing all his picking inflections and taps to the body of his guitar. Boomana felt this was overdone a bit but I'm sure she will elaborate later.

Clearly in the acoustic/singer category the R10s ruled supreme with greater intimacy, body a headstage that felt just right.

The we said can they ROCK and put in Led Zep ll. Well first up was the R10 and I felt as though the band was being held back somehow and Robert Plants vocals were clouded. They did do the swirling effect of Whole Lotta love very well and was best in creating the surround effect of that part of the song.
The Cd3000s the cloud was immediately lifted but the band sounded thinner and brighter by comparison. They had you toe tapping and rocking but could have used some more flesh on the bone (body ) to the sound. THe headstage was as predicted nice and wide.
The PS1s were the winner for the rock category. They had the PRAT you need and delicious bottom end that was tight and restrained. The highs and mids were never overwhelmed by the bottom end.

Now on to the area of comfort, there is no comparison as the R10s are the best in this area with the cd3000s running a close second and the PS1s a distant third (it's tough when you have two chunks of metal hanging from your head). Both Sony's had you feeling like you had strapped on two headphones made of pillows.
Now was the CD3000 a poor mans R10 or another beast altogether. I felt there was no family resemblance other than fit and comfort. They threw a wider but not as natural headstage and were thinner sounding, but not in a terrible way. So for those who are trying to get an R10 on a PBJ budget sorry but they are too different for me to say they are of the same family.

I would recommed the CD3000s over any closed can in the under $800 category and find them a strong value on the used market. They also were great all around headphones.
If I listened to small combo jazz and singer songwriters the R10s would be on the list and I'd have a kidney on Craig's List to do it.
If I were a rocker than I run straight to the PS1s. We were commenting on why Grado Labs does not do another run of 100 or so. I have heard pretty much the entire line and they best (IMHO) the GS1000, HP1000s and RS1s.

Hopefully Boomana will chime in on her thoughts

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 41
Nice read, thanks.
I found CD3k lacking a lot when using with ROCK, but they were o.k. with JAZZ. However I can not recommend them, cos GS1k are much better, IMO.
PS1 are one of those that just ROCK as hell, great bass impact with full body, but some cold-metallic kind of sound, les colored than other Grado's. I would say they are not that musical sounding.
R10 never heard them and probably never will, but who knows...

Cheers
cool.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 41
Thanks for the detailed review. I own the R10s and owned the PS-1s. My experience with the Grados was somewhat different from yours. IMO, the PS-1’s bass overwhelmed the rest of the spectrum, and I couldn’t shake the feeling that there were a lot of peaks and valleys in the response. And they were uncomfortable as hell. That said, they did rock hard, but my Jena Labs–rewired R10s are no slouches in this regard, either. They just don’t have the ultra-slam of the PS-1s. But for hard rock, I use my Ultrasone Edition 9s, which I think are better balanced than the Grados and rock pretty hard in their own right. But, as with anything, YMMV. Again, nice review.

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 41
Nice comparo, nums - I'll be looking forward to boomana's take as well.

Your experience with these three is right in line with mine, and that is why I never wanted CD3000s, and why I lust after PS-1s.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll drag my GS-1000s over this weekend, and maybe we can stick them in the mix. I know you passed on them after a short ownership, so it may be interesting to give another listen.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 41
Nice to bump into this while drinking morning coffee (I stayed up way too late adding the K1000s and K340s into mix with the same cds).

I pretty much agree with everything jp11801 had said, but I want to add that what surprised me most is how these excellent headphones really show their differences when throwing the different genres at them. I'll get back with more detailed impressions later this evening, but here's a couple highly subjective toss offs:

1. The CD3000s are what the Denon D5000s should be (I gotta say it...no flames please), but for closed headphones, they leak. While jp11801 was listening a few feet from me, I could hear most everything and that was at a fairly low volume.

2. I do not hear the similarities in tone, weight, texture, emphasis, etc. between the R10s and CD3000s. If someone just popped them on my head, and I didn't know the connection, I would never have associated them with R10s. That's not a criticism of the CD3000s. I like them, but as John said, I wouldn't put them in the same family.

3. I love the PS1s. Want PS1s. If you have PS1s for sale, pm me. With that said, PS1s are not the headphone I would grab for most kinds of music, and found them utterly unlistenable on a least two tracks of Veneer (too harsh and sharp...John loved them for that alone...different ears).

4. R10s do vocals and imaging better than any headphone I know. So, how the heck do they make Robert Plant's voice sound like he was calling in his performance from a far away corner in another room surrounded by fog? I dunno. This has not been my R10 experience with other music, but it's real off here. Not right. Very not right. CD3000s: Okay, now he's in the same room, but his voice is thin. Not right. PS1s: Here we go! This sounds good. Full, forward, in your face Robert Plant as he should be...but...what happened to everything else? It's all smashed in together. Loud, proud and squished! Jimmie Page must be sitting in John Bonham's lap. Best of the three, but Led Zeppelin NEEDS SPEAKERS...or...

5. K1000s! Led Zeppelin needs K1000s! Dangit, John. I didn't believe you. I'd been loving my K1000s for giant orchestral pieces, messy choral arrangements and the occasional jazz trio. But you said they rock. Well, they do! Best outta all headphones tried! Everything where it should be, coming at you full force and with no lack of bass (that's for all you K1000s naysayers).

6. K340s (headphiled). These haven't been getting much time since the R10s came home and the K1000s got a new amp (F1). I now have new love for them. I'll have to get back with you all as I actually have some things to do other than listen to music and write about listening, but, I'll be coming back round to say that these might be the best mid-priced heaphones out there. And they also rock! They almost equalled the K1000s, but for different reasons (less airy, more enveloping = more involving).

Jp11801 was nice enough to lend me his new CD3000s for a home visit. So I'll get back with not only more impressions from last night, but also add some new.

Oh, and I never thanked you for dinner, John. Thanks. It was delicious!

And, Led Zeppelin really does need speakers with the volume turned up at least one notch too loud
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. K1000s! Led Zeppelin needs K1000s! Dangit, John. I didn't believe you. I'd been loving my K1000s for giant orchestral pieces, messy choral arrangements and the occasional jazz trio. But you said they rock. Well, they do! Best outta all headphones tried! Everything where it should be, coming at you full force and with no lack of bass (that's for all you K1000s naysayers).

Yeah, the constant-current nature of the F1 really controls the K1000 drivers like nothing else.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 41
Great update, thx.

If you don't mind, try DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT. Here is the link to particular album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Bi...ple_in_Concert

I couldn't believe how good K1000 would be, simply amazing. The record quality is very good to.

Cheers
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

5. K1000s! Led Zeppelin needs K1000s! Dangit, John. I didn't believe you. I'd been loving my K1000s for giant orchestral pieces, messy choral arrangements and the occasional jazz trio. But you said they rock. Well, they do! Best outta all headphones tried! Everything where it should be, coming at you full force and with no lack of bass (that's for all you K1000s naysayers):

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 41
Great read- thanks for the impressions.

I would say the GS-1000 would be the poor mans R10. Hell, not even poor mans since those with money can't find them anyway.

I prefer the HP-2 to the PS-1. The PS-1 bass gets tiresome long term and each CD sounds the same. The HP-2 just seems to melt away, adding nothing to the recording and works for all music.

The K-1000 is still an incredible bargain at it's current price since it goes toe to toe with the most expensive headphones.

I definitely agree that Led Zepplin sounds better on LP and with my speakers than any headphone set up, but we're not going there right?

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 41
Nice read. I've never had the CD3000 and R10 side by side but I had my CD3000 for nearly two years so my impression should be accurate. IMO, the R10 are more suprior in every respect of the sound out of my SP SDS amp. The CD3000 can be very good but the R10s are two of three levels above that. That is just my opnion though.

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 41
LZ does sound great on the K1000, but I don't think they demand such a big soundstage (just my preferences). As such I really enjoy listening to all their albums with the MS-1, HF-1 or HP-2 (all using flat pads). But in my setup the L3000 reigns king with LZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely agree that Led Zepplin sounds better on LP and with my speakers than any headphone set up, but we're not going there right?

Yes I agree the Classic Records reissues on vinyl sound the best. Even better than my first pressing Target CDs.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 41
Great read, thanks.

Have not heard side by side is the GS and R10. Although there may be no phone that gets vocals and clusters of transients as accurate in the dynamic category as smooth, or as fast as the PRaT on the R10, these abilities are not constantly a desired effect for all genres of music. This too why I initially (like a tard) sold my pair years back -big mistake.

In particular, the R10 present small chamber pieces, some blues, acoustic passages, and the rhythm of jazz with the master detail efforts and extended head imagery. However, with Horns,stringed instruments, and woodwinds sounding more natural on other phones, the Sony is pretty much the end all for most music but not all.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice read. I've never had the CD3000 and R10 side by side but I had my CD3000 for nearly two years so my impression should be accurate. IMO, the R10 are more suprior in every respect of the sound out of my SP SDS amp. The CD3000 can be very good but the R10s are two of three levels above that. That is just my opnion though.

And that's what it should be at nearly 8 time the price used hehe. The CD3000 are the best i got in therm of SQ up to now and i love them, but they are too costy for me. I would love to have the kind of money to buy the R10, or at least listen to a pair one day. Maybe someone will appear with a pair in Quebec or Montreal meet one day i keep my finger crossed hehe.

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

1. The CD3000s are what the Denon D5000s should be (I gotta say it...no flames please), but for closed headphones, they leak. While jp11801 was listening a few feet from me, I could hear most everything and that was at a fairly low volume.

In every review about CD3000 I read everybody said that they don't have enough bass!
Does the CD3000 have bass of the Denons?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the PS-1’s bass overwhelmed the rest of the spectrum, and I couldn’t shake the feeling that there were a lot of peaks and valleys in the response. And they were uncomfortable as hell.

the ps1s seem to be highly amp dependant I have he soundquest 84 and they suck on that amp while the rs1s shine but on the eddie current the bass is controled and never overwhelms the mids or highs. The moral for me is pair these cans carefully

Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice comparo, nums - I'll be looking forward to boomana's take as well.

Your experience with these three is right in line with mine, and that is why I never wanted CD3000s, and why I lust after PS-1s.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll drag my GS-1000s over this weekend, and maybe we can stick them in the mix. I know you passed on them after a short ownership, so it may be interesting to give another listen.

you have good taste sir hope all works out and we can hang

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great read- thanks for the impressions.

I would say the GS-1000 would be the poor mans R10. Hell, not even poor mans since those with money can't find them anyway.

I prefer the HP-2 to the PS-1. The PS-1 bass gets tiresome long term and each CD sounds the same. The HP-2 just seems to melt away, adding nothing to the recording and works for all music.

The K-1000 is still an incredible bargain at it's current price since it goes toe to toe with the most expensive headphones.

I did not enjoy the GS1000s and found them really sibilant in the highs but I want to give them another crack. The ps1s to me as of right now are leagues better.

Speakers and beer for Led Zep listening

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I concur the r10 in most situations is better
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In every review about CD3000 I read everybody said that they don't have enough bass!
Does the CD3000 have bass of the Denons?

Thanks!

yes they do if you like tight and defined bass if you like you bass slightly sloppy but prevelant then the denon is your can

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 41
I wasn't present for this get together but did hear the CD3000 and PS-1's a week ago. I've heard the R10's a number of times. I pretty much agree with everything said. You guys did a great job with you impressions!

If the R10's are Bill Gates, the CD3000 are the people that clean up after Bill Gates (they probably make more $ than me). The PS-1s are nice headphones, in particular, for rock. I'm not lusting after them like many seem to be these days. I think I prefer a pair of RS-1s. I'm going to spend some time with them on Saturday at the mini meet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back