Sony Puts Out iPod Killer For 25th Walkman Anniversary
Jul 3, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #46 of 59
What a damned waste. It's one of (Sony) the sexiest DAP's I've ever seen, and has the ability to do gapless from the get go, and other cool features, but it's screwed up totally by those communist pencil pushers in Japan.... Words from an insider at Sony Quote:

He then goes on to say that the source of the problem lies in Japan, which wants to force products on consumers to buy products by only using standards that people need their special devices to listen to or view.

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #47 of 59
It's funny, but the availability of cheap **** videos in VHS was what made it dominate betamax (that plus the fact that betamax tapes were much shorter despite the higher quality).
biggrin.gif

Is lack of mp3 support going to kill Sony even if it has something superior? Historically speaking, yes.

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #48 of 59
I think this is about the eighth time I've linked to it, but see this Wired article. Still the best I've seen on 'the problem'.

ff_sony_100_1.jpg

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #49 of 59
blessingx, link not working..
im intersted in that artical.. the picture looks funny

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
blessingx, link not working..
im intersted in that artical.. the picture looks funny

There's an extra http:// in front of the link, just delete it that and it should work...

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 59
iPodLounge Article: When Apple Waits, Competitors Strike

Sony used to be one of my favorite companies but they seem to have really lost focus. They release a lot of neat looking gadgets that look cool but once you buy them you wonder why you did. I would have preferred they released a real anniversary Walkman, that is, the last and best cassette Walkman ever to be produced. Really go out with a bang.

biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #53 of 59
ok id just like to add

this device is SWEET. see the comparisons and u see its like an iaudio m3 but half the size which is amazing engineering. and the 30 hour battery is wicked. however that is only when using 48kb/s atract 3plus.

id quite happily sacrifce up to half that 30 hour battry for a device that plays VBR mp3

howver, sweet device otherwise tho atrac = no buy

ed

p.s. integrated fm radio would have been very nice but oh well (always want more!!)

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #54 of 59
The battery life decreases proportionately with bitrate. Sony claims 30 hours @ 48kbps, 27 hours @ 64kbps, and AV watch got 18 hours with 256 before the battery indicator began flashing
smily_headphones1.gif

AV Watch had a video report of the 25th anniversary event, and they caught Kunitake Ando (?) (president) on camera defending having multiple groups of unrelated people develop the same type of products at the same time
biggrin.gif
Was fun to watch... the Vaio Pocket is like last year's PSX.

Jul 5, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #55 of 59
Hey leon you got a link to that video clip?

Actually I'm quite annoyed there's no DD9 mentioned in that 113 machines featured on Sony's anniversary page... argh!!!

I think I've seen a pic where the Sony dude held the new hdd walkman upside down hehe

Humm I always thought the president is Idei... oh well maybe he got fired for making crap products...

Jul 5, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636
I would have preferred they released a real anniversary Walkman, that is, the last and best cassette Walkman ever to be produced. Really go out with a bang.

But who would buy them? (Actually, I'd like to see that too, but who uses cassettes anymore? DAT is probably one of the last strongholds of cassette tech... dying soon) Does anybody here use Dolby S?

Jul 5, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #57 of 59
Idei is like bigger than president now or something, hehehe. If you look on cnet or somewhere else you should be able to find the proper job titles.

Video: Go to this page, and click on the first link (with HDD walkman icon next to it). Remember to press stop after it's done, or the stream will automatically go to commercials ("Impress staff use Panasonic oxiride batteries even at home"), and then onto the previous video clips.

http://impress.tv/im/article/itn.htm

The Walkman display is at the Mediage until August 2, IIRC. If anyone makes it out to Odaiba...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
But who would buy them? (Actually, I'd like to see that too, but who uses cassettes anymore? DAT is probably one of the last strongholds of cassette tech... dying soon) Does anybody here use Dolby S?

I wouldn't say DAT is dying soon. It is still the format of choice for live tapers. It has a niche in the market. Although, I do agree that one day MD or WAV recorders, will replace it.

Speaking of Sony...I am hoping they will put out a pro HiMD deck that is portable and and designed for live concert recording.

Jul 5, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb
I wouldn't say DAT is dying soon. It is still the format of choice for live tapers. It has a niche in the market. Although, I do agree that one day MD or WAV recorders, will replace it.

Speaking of Sony...I am hoping they will put out a pro HiMD deck that is portable and and designed for live concert recording.

DAT is dying out though, many tapers have switched to HD recorders and especially laptops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back