Sony Puts Out iPod Killer For 25th Walkman Anniversary
Jul 1, 2004 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
Jul 1, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 59
No mp3 support... brainless. If MD had supported mp3 (they used it as a 100 something meg data drive too when it first came out!) the portable landscape would be so different right now.
I think if they have any chance of really cutting into the US online music market it will be with the PSP. They may call it a gaming handheld, but its a trojan horse for their digital audio marketplace.

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 59
It was nearly an iPod killer when I got a peek at it, for your average consumer. At the prices that they were talking about selling it for it was definitely an iPod killer. But I suppose 'protection of brand value' won out in the end. Under the circumstances, not an iPod killer.

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 59
I just dont understand it.

It looks really nice, really compact and has amazing features. Looks like one Id deffers go for cos its so small and so light and has a mammoth battery life.

But OMG, my brother has a minidisc and to listen to mp3 on it, you have to convert them all which takes something like an hour for 5 albums or so. If they removed the atrac3 crap and put mp3 support they would have something that a lot of ipod users would want.

Unfortunately, sony, a very clever company, has too many blonde bits when it comes to mp3 players.

Maybe they will change....maybe.... Also, im not a big fan of the inline remote, its too old and dont like the design. Would prefer an irivr style remote.

Ed

Jul 1, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 59
utdeep said:
No mp3 support... brainless.
I agree. Sony used to be the leader in portable audio, but with the ascendance of portable HD players they are getting left behind. One day we will all be downloading uncompressed albums off the web and walking around with 100GB HD players in our pocket and Sony better be sure they provide support for the lastest/most popular compression technology and not force people to use only thier technology. I think ATRAC sounds great, but you got go with what the market dictates. Their problem is they thought they could dictate the market.

I have always thought Sony designed very sleek, simple, and nice looking portables. They could have been the iPod of today if they weren't so singleminded.

I like the look of the player. Similar in appearance to an MD player. I'm curious how it performs and what features it has. Anyone read Japanese?

Jul 1, 2004 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 59
yet another great looking sony player messed up by themselves...

prepare another grave on the graveyard for killed ipod killers.

Jul 1, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 59
Ipod killer what a joke. I love to use my ipod when jogging or on longs walks. Nothing right now can beat their aac encoding, not even mp3.

Jul 1, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 59
Yea I didn't realized that it can't play uncompressed audio until I read some of the english sites... sigh! I wish it did, cuz they're not making a tape player this time around meaning no analog = similar to = uncompressed digital audio... Turns out they also have a VAIO variant of this player, so it's just a re-packaged machine nothing special about it...

The thing I really don't get is why keep pumping out those closed earphones, they suck at it and should have stuck with open air ones as they are pretty good at that...

Jul 1, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 59
Ahh... my old '83 WM-20 is shown.
tongue.gif
Still beautiful for a cassette player.

Jul 1, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 59
Sony sure came up with some nifty cassette players in the '90s... I always thought I would get one of those some day when I had $$$
biggrin.gif
Not knowing the superiority of the CD in comparison...

Jul 1, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 59
Wait, Sony came out with an "ipod killer" that doesn't even support mp3s?? Are they insane? Do they think I'm going to re-encode 500 CDs??? Do you know how much time that took me to do in the first place? Insane...

dave

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How many iPod Killers have there been so far?

And to add to that, how many have been successful? I am going to go out on a limb here and say none.

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 59
did anyone else have headphones on and the volume up when going to that site? because i did, i was listening to the pearl jam album ten, which is a pretty quite album, anyway im deaf now.
eek.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How many iPod Killers have there been so far?

I think what he meant was how many supposed iPod killers have there been so far? With tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back