Sony PSP - As a Source - Will it Support FLAC
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
I've asked this before, but no one seemed to have a clear idea Will the PSP support FLAC files at Lossless quality? Or is there simply software that accompanies the PSP that will convert FLAC to a supported file at 356 playback? Anyone aware? Thanks.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks kikkomang. I know the PSP is "homebrewed" all the time. Any clue about where to find etc.? Thanks.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 31
it takes a little skill to get custom firmware on a psp, but it's worth it. maxconsole forums has a nice area for that sort of stuff. my biggest turn of though is all the pirating of psp games that goes down. its the reason dark_alex stopped work on his firmware.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleMAUS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it takes a little skill to get custom firmware on a psp, but it's worth it. maxconsole forums has a nice area for that sort of stuff. my biggest turn of though is all the pirating of psp games that goes down. its the reason dark_alex stopped work on his firmware.

Dark_Alex still makes the custom firmware and never actually stopped. He was M33. 3.80 is going to be out in a few days, but only on the Dark_Alex website as they don't like the news sites and others making money off of them. Don't be scared to install the custom firmware, it is what makes the PSP worth its salt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Try PSPUpdates.qj.net.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there is one program called lightmp3
File Details-LightMP3-v1.7.1-(FLAC-bugfix)-PSP-Homebrew-Applications -

Coolplayer plays flac files as well (i don't have a link for this one)

Yes, I like light mp3 as a FLAC player, it can be a bit glitchy. Its too bad, I don't think of the PSP as being a good source.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 31
The Sony PSP I think would make a great portable device if it would support FLAC. It is quiet, cool runnning and very nimble. I'm not sure about DAC etc. but I'm interested in pursuing because of the limited universe of FLAC players. Thanks all.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony PSP I think would make a great portable device if it would support FLAC. It is quiet, cool runnning and very nimble. I'm not sure about DAC etc. but I'm interested in pursuing because of the limited universe of FLAC players. Thanks all.

Did you read!? It does. Man.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 31
Have not been able to read it yet, so I said that somewhat rhetorically. Now I just hope my computer skills can accomplish the installation of applicable homebrews. I don't care so much about the gaming, video ability etc., I would be happy if the homebrew in effect dedicated the unit to FLAC audio. Many thanks.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 31
Manaox2

I downloaded the files that you recommended. I am such a PSP hack know nothing that I'm not sure that I know completely how it should be downloaded. Are you conversant with how to install the program, launch it etc.? Thanks for the kindness.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Manaox2

I downloaded the files that you recommended. I am such a PSP hack know nothing that I'm not sure that I know completely how it should be downloaded. Are you conversant with how to install the program, launch it etc.? Thanks for the kindness.

You have to put custom firmware (or at least firmware v1.5) on your PSP. Is your PSP a slim or the old fat one?

For now here are some good links, some of the information is outdated, but the basics should all be there.

Pandora battery for fat and slim:
[GUIDE] Make the Perfect Pandora's Battery - QJ.NET Forums

Installing 3.71 m33 custom firmware and updates:
[GUIDE] Installing 3.71 M33 Custom Firmware. Get Help Here. - QJ.NET Forums

Installing homebrew and the best emulators guide:
ULTIMATE Homebrew Guide / FAQ v2.17 (Updated Sep 11, 2007) - QJ.NET Forums

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 31
Thanks man. Really kind of you. I have the new slim one. The program looks great, I just have no idea how to install. Many, many thanks.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 31
To make a pandora battery/memorystick used to downgrade you need an already homebrew capable PSP as well don't you? So the OP will not be able to do that. Also I fear that if the OP tries to do anything to downgrade to 1.5 to make it possible to go up to a custom firmware they might screw something up and brick it... Remember to always follow all instructions TO A T and if your not sure about anything SEEK ADVICE before acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back