Sony Playstation MOVE
Mar 12, 2010 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
god damn this is cool; if you think it's just like the WII-mote, you're wrong. granted the games they're showing are lackluster, but that's nothing. what matters is that this is the FIRST time we're going to finally have REAL 1:1 ACCURATE MOTION TRACKING in games. the possibilities are endless. i've been waiting for this for so long. and in a lot of ways, the WII-mote set us back (well, not really, BUT....) because it worked, but only had VERY VERY LIMITED amount of motion detection. so people went "oh, well i guess it doesn't work" when they tried it in swordplay games for example. this is like microsoft saying "i guess it doesn't work" concerning tablet-PC's just because they botched the implimentation of it. IDIOTS! tablet-PC's are the future. apple realizes it, and they're gonna do it right (sort-of) with the iPad. but MS ****ed it up, didn't even have MS-office support tablet-mode, and they think the entire thing is broken? so now they're giving up on tablet computers? stupid, stupid stupid. sorry for digressing, but damn that's stupid. anyone can see that IF DONE RIGHT, tablet-pc's are the future. it can do everything a normal laptop can, but you can also write on it like with a pen or do all sorts of things INTUITIVELY................in the same vain, the playstation MOVE is gonna do it right. we're finally going to have real fencing in video games. i'm so damn exclited about this. hell, the thing even looks like a lightsaber with the glowing ball on top. i can't wait to wield a lightsaber, or a sword, or to do hand-to-hand fighting RIGHT for the first time ever. it may seem very evolutionary considering the WII-mote, but this is being done RIGHT, and i'm proud of them for not abandoning this, but coming out with the type of hardware that i truly believe will revolutionize hardcore gaming in the same way that the trackIR did for the PC, and the WII did for casual gaming. underestimate it at your parrel. just one of the reasons i'm selling my xbox and buying a ps3. for years the xbox360 beat the **** out of the ps3, mainly because it just had better games. but now there isn't one exclusive on the xbox that i feel i need to have (granted halo and gears qualify certainly, but i've played them), but i feel i need to play: god of war series (so excited to play god of war collection (1 and 2) on ps3, and then gow3, uncharted 1 and 2, little big planet, and metal gear. not to mention a bluray player for my new 120" projector screen

...........ok, sorry for spewing word vomit, but people should be more excited about this thing. FINALLY, somebody is doing it for real, REAL motion detection, with REAL 1:1 accuracy. finally finally finally. you're going to see implimentations for this you NEVER considered. this is revolutionary, not evolutionary, the wii-mote had a good idea, but the playstation move is the actual device that produces what that idea actually was, the wii-mote is fun, the move will be fantastic

peace

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 15
i'm also damn proud of sony for putting that colored ball at the end. why you ask? if you look at mo-cap (motion capture) being done for any film (search for a video of billy crudup being suited-up for WATCHMEN) ...........you'll realize that you have to have that little white ball. without it they just wouldn't have had the precision that we need, and we NEED that perfect precision. because half-way precise means COMPLETELY UNUSABLE. THAT, right there is the most important thing to remember. think about it. it has to be perfectly precise, or it's just UNUSABLE completely. the power-glove for the original nintendo is the perfect example. it wasn't precise, it was worthless. so even though it maybe looks a little strange, they did it because it's necessary. we NEED the accelerometer and gyrometer in the remote, we NEED the colored ball and the camera. put it all together and you have THE controller that will finally take us to the next level. do you realize that basically since the beginning of video games controllers have not changed? the atari joystick had the same amount of motion as a moder xbox360 or ps3 controller. we just have more buttons, more comfortable fit, and rumble. granted, all of which make a massive diffence, but it's all evolutionary. this is the thing that is going to open up completely new ideas for game design. ideas we haven't even thought of yet. but for the IDEA and the POTENTIAL of mo-cap, we finally are going to have the controller that provides the possibilities. LOTS AND LOTS of possibilities.

god damn i'm excited. finally finally finally.

..............finally

...................where's my lightsaber? can't you just see you and your friend saber-battling each other. it's also good that they have rumble, even if it's weak, because that can tell you when you and your buddy hit each other's sabers; of course it won't be able to physically stop your arm from moving forward like you would when actually fencing, but it'll still be damn cool

......think about a fighting game with real accurate punches. and how bout an accessory you strap to your shoes for kicking too? totally and completely do-able

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 15
wall-of-text.jpg

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 15
I can tell that you're excited!

But yes, I can certainly see good things coming with the PS Move. I'm going to stay cautious and won't buy it until I see good things coming out that use it though.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IDIOTS! tablet-PC's are the future. apple realizes it, and they're gonna do it right (sort-of) with the iPad. but MS ****ed it up, didn't even have MS-office support tablet-mode, and they think the entire thing is broken? so now they're giving up on tablet computers? stupid, stupid stupid. sorry for digressing, but damn that's stupid. anyone can see that IF DONE RIGHT, tablet-pc's are the future. it can do everything a normal laptop can, but you can also write on it like with a pen or do all sorts of things INTUITIVELY...............

youngfrank72.jpg

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 15
As a system for people who are reasonably serious gamers, the Wii sucks, due to subpar graphics capabilities and a the uselessness of its motion control. The Wiimote isn't bad in theory, just in its execution - hopefully the MOVE will make motion control a more serious gaming function (combined with powerful PS3 graphics). I'm rooting for Sony to succeed on this one.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 15
But... Natal can supposedly do all of that without having to hold some wii-mote knock-off with a glowing ball on top. For me, motion control is all or nothing. The Wii is fun at times, but if I want to play a game with motion control I want REAL motion control. It's like saying, "Finally! They finally brought virtual reality home! The Virtual Boy!"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Most likely, if I'm holding a controller it's because I don't feel like swinging my arms and legs around for a couple of hours like an idiot. Would you rather punch and kick in a game while holding a controller, or using nothing but your fists and legs?
popcorn.gif
And if you want the real MOVE experience, just hold a couple of 1lb. weights in your hands.
tongue_smile.gif

Also, I think all this motion control is utter crap just to appeal to a wider audience. I'd personally prefer head tracking and slight arm movements. You know how when you're playing an FPS and you're about to turn a corner, and you instinctively want to move your head to see around it? Why can't they just implement that in games? Or when you're playing a racing or platform game, and you always turn your controller to the side to make a smooth turn or try to avoid jumping into a pit. I know the PS3's six-axis does this to a degree, but it doesn't work the way you'd like it to. I think this would make gaming MUCH more immersive than making someone stand up and flail their arms around.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely, if I'm holding a controller it's because I don't feel like swinging my arms and legs around for a couple of hours like an idiot.

Also, I think all this motion control is utter crap just to appeal to a wider audience.

i agree with these points.
i don't play video games looking forward to waggling my arms like an air traffic controller covered in beetles. moreover, i believe that motion control is a novelty without proper force feedback. i want to be able to feel the resistance of swing a tennis racket or the opposite reaction to punching a guy in the face. but then again, i guess i could just go outside for the former and wouldn't even think of the latter because i'm a pansy.

so to sum up my feelings about the sony move, project natal, new video games, and almost anything that is described as "innovative" or "groundbreaking": i'm very skeptical.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with these points.
i don't play video games looking forward to waggling my arms like an air traffic controller covered in beetles. moreover, i believe that motion control is a novelty without proper force feedback. i want to be able to feel the resistance of swing a tennis racket or the opposite reaction to punching a guy in the face. but then again, i guess i could just go outside for the former and wouldn't even think of the latter because i'm a pansy.

so to sum up my feelings about the sony move, project natal, new video games, and almost anything that is described as "innovative" or "groundbreaking": i'm very skeptical.

Totally. Maybe some things should be left for the arcades (dying breed
frown.gif
). Once you bring certain 'fun' things home, the novelty wears off very quickly. There's a reason most people go to fancy restaurants once in a while; if they went every night they would get bored of it (that and the lack of money). I'd love to play a game with real motion control and have a great time, but when they start dedicating an entire gaming console to ONLY motion control games, it really starts to deter the real gamers and sucks the fun out of gaming after a while. Having a choice to play a game with motion controls or a regular controller would be a big plus. How am I going to bash my controller against the table when I'm losing if I'm just flailing my arms around?
redface.gif

I was so excited when the Wii came out that I waited outside Circuit City at 6 a.m. (a couple of weeks after pulling an all-nighter on Black Friday and having no luck), but I haven't played it in probably 1.5-2 years, aside from Wii Sports with my parents or friends. At first it was incredible, but I realized I really prefer using a regular controller.

I really can't wait to see what Natal has to offer, but I have a feeling I'll get tired of it after a few months.

Also, semi-related, but while I'm ranting about my hatred of new crap, this 3D BS they're trying to peddle now just adds fuel to my fire.
ph34r.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Mar 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 15
When I move my mouse around, stuff happens. There. PC has been doing motion control for decades.

I see the MOVE comes in different flavors, too. There's orange, and lime, and what looks like blue raspberry. Blue raspberry was always my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back