SONY PHA-3/C AND SONY PHA-3AC DIFFERENCE
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 13
Can someone explain differences between SONY PHA-3/C and SONY PHA-3AC. I'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards.
The USB-C port
Nevermind. I had a different amp in my head

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Same thing, probably named slightly different for different region of the world. For example, Sony named the same IEM as MDR-EX800ST in Japan but called it MDR-7550 for the rest of the world.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 13
Same thing, probably named slightly different for different region of the world. For example, Sony named the same IEM as MDR-EX800ST in Japan but called it MDR-7550 for the rest of the world.
Gues it is not the case, I think it has something to do with battery and charging issues but dont know exactly thats why i am trying to find out

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 13
PSX_20230314_161044.jpg

Here is a screenshot of PHA-3 service manual. As you can see, 'AC' is regional specific model name for AEP (= Europe) and UK. The service manual goes back to the original PHA-3 release date in 2014, so we can be sure the AC model is not a reversion.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 13
PSX_20230314_161044.jpg

Here is a screenshot of PHA-3 service manual. As you can see, 'AC' is regional specific model name for AEP (= Europe) and UK. The service manual goes back to the original PHA-3 release date in 2014, so we can be sure the AC model is not a reversion.
Don't you tkink that pha-3 stands for portable headphone amplifier and pha-3ac stands just for headphone amplifier( as shown in rightdown side of this manual) so I think when the unit has pha-3ac sign it means that is not portable and needs constant outlet/ other source power???? What do you think?

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 13
Don't you tkink that pha-3 stands for portable headphone amplifier and pha-3ac stands just for headphone amplifier( as shown in rightdown side of this manual) so I think when the unit has pha-3ac sign it means that is not portable and needs constant outlet/ other source power???? What do you think?
Could very well be.

As I recalled from an old iFi Audio thread regarding certain feature on their devices. iFi Audio mentioned that EU (and of course UK before Brexit) has certain power saving regulations regarding small home appliances including DAC / amp (battery powered included) that they need to meet in order to be certified for sale. It could be that Sony was simply trying to sell PHA-3 in EU but didn't want to change the design too much so they made an AC only version for the region to avoid certain EU laws

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 13
Could very well be.

As I recalled from an old iFi Audio thread regarding certain feature on their devices. iFi Audio mentioned that EU (and of course UK before Brexit) has certain power saving regulations regarding small home appliances including DAC / amp (battery powered included) that they need to meet in order to be certified for sale. It could be that Sony was simply trying to sell PHA-3 in EU but didn't want to change the design too much so they made an AC only version for the region to avoid certain EU laws
Mayby you are right, pitty that battery only lasts no more than 4-5 hours of total working time , later unfortunatly it has been rechardged that takes to long to complete. Besides this issue the unit is great.....

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 13
The “AC” designation only run on AC power and doesn’t have the battery built in. Think of that model as a small but capable desktop amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back