Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Apr 4, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,863 of 1,922
What are the usb power adapter requirements for fast 6 hour charging? I’ve read people mentioning 5v 1A (1000ma) as the maximum and any higher and the ph-3 will not charge. The user manual mentions Sony AC ud20 charger will fast charge and that has an output of 5v 1.5A (1500ma). I have sourced a Sony branded usb C pd and A charger which has the same usb A output of the AC ud20 @ 5v 1500ma. The model is Sony CP-ADRM2. Please advise as I don’t know what will work. The older AC ud20 can be found on eBay but costs a lot because it’s rare and out of production.

Also, will the pha-3 maintain power if plugged into a usb power bank? Example to use portability for and extended time greater then 6 hours with the internal pha-3 battery?

May 11, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,864 of 1,922
Hello, I am using the pha3 with a pixel 3 via usbc to micro USB cable.
When I have android volume on max and the pha3 at middle volume there is massive distortion like the volume is over driven.
It doesn't make sense to me because shouldn't the phone only be sending digital data to the pha3?

May 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #1,865 of 1,922
I'm realizing now that after deleting wavelet and restarting my phone that the problem doesn't exist anymore. Is this because wavelet is eq'ing with gain instead of lowering the preamp?

*Edit* helpful Reddit or suggested You can use the "preamp gain" with the "channel balance" option in wavelet to avoid clipping issues like this.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,866 of 1,922
Hi all, I have some issues with my PHA-3 that I've bought 6 years ago.

Issues:
1) Scenario: Power not plugged in (playing from battery):

If I use the DAC, the whole thing turns off within minutes (around 5 to 10 minutes) playing normal music or DSD files. I've tried charging it fully, but same thing occurs. If I were to only use the amplifier function (with 3.5mm audio in) without charging, it would function normally and play for hours.

Scenario: Power plugged in

When I play normal files plugged in (with 2 micro USB cable for the both the DC port and the USB line in), it would then play normally. But if I play DSD files, it would turn off again within minutes.

What is the matter with this? Could I fix it with a battery replacement (I saw instructions on a pha3 service manual and may be able to do this)? Or is this something sinister like a capacitor issue (then this is probably something beyond me)?

2) Crackling sound while turning the volume knob, which I assume to be a faulty potentiometer? Any suggestions on replacement part?

Its well out of warranty and I've contacted Sony in my country but they've told me that they are unable to repair it as it is out of warranty and they do not have the necessary parts to fix it (whole country is locked down due to the pandemic). I've tried to reach out to some audio repair guys here but nobody seems to have an idea about how to fix this and hence, I am turning to experts here. I've actually browsed through this whole thread for clues and I would appreciate any help I get.

Update (7th September 2021) - PHA-3 Repair and Battery Replacement​

Out of desperation, I did the unthinkable and did the repair myself. I think I will share here for the reference of the other owners who may have similar issues.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.04.58 PM.png

First, I googled for the PHA-3 service manual pdf - low res online copy would do. I disassembled the unit using the instructions given - again I am not encouraging anyone to repair yourself if you have better options; I would have paid someone skilled to do it if I had the choice because many things could go wrong if you aren't careful.

I purchased a replacement battery from out of the country, and replaced the battery myself - issue number 1 solved.

I got a can of electronics contact cleaner, and sprayed some on the volume potentiometer (through a small hole on the body (red arrow in the picture below) and on the knob area) - issue number 2 solved.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.05.17 PM.png
It took me around 45 minutes to take everything apart, fix, and reassemble everything again. After testing it for the past 1 week, everything seems to be functioning perfectly well now, but I hope I do not have to do this again :p

Lastly, I would just like to say to Sony Malaysia, thank you for your nonsensical service.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,871 of 1,922
Hello, dear PHA-3 users,

I started to think about getting this little beast. Is it worth getting in 2021? The main scenario is listening to Hi-Res files in the office, Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato DAP as a source via USB OTG. I believe, DSD would play as DoP only… And of course, the balanced out would be used only. The cans are ATH-AD2000X and ATH-W5000 (I’ll recable one of them, I guess. At home I have a decent “big” non-portable setup for headphones). Maybe I would buy ATH-WP900 someday (I also have some IEMs, but they sound great just out of 2.5mm Onkyo balanced output)… I looked through the thread and could not find the pin-out for dual 3.5mm jacks to re-terminate the cable. If anyone can share the diagram, I would appreciate that greatly.

And all in all, do you think this would be a good combo (Onkyo DP-S1 + PHA-3+ ATH cans)?

Onkyo has dual DACs playing really nice balanced, but I need more “juice” J

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,874 of 1,922
Hi all, I have some issues with my PHA-3 that I've bought 6 years ago.

Issues:
1) Scenario: Power not plugged in (playing from battery):

If I use the DAC, the whole thing turns off within minutes (around 5 to 10 minutes) playing normal music or DSD files. I've tried charging it fully, but same thing occurs. If I were to only use the amplifier function (with 3.5mm audio in) without charging, it would function normally and play for hours.

Scenario: Power plugged in

When I play normal files plugged in (with 2 micro USB cable for the both the DC port and the USB line in), it would then play normally. But if I play DSD files, it would turn off again within minutes.

What is the matter with this? Could I fix it with a battery replacement (I saw instructions on a pha3 service manual and may be able to do this)? Or is this something sinister like a capacitor issue (then this is probably something beyond me)?

2) Crackling sound while turning the volume knob, which I assume to be a faulty potentiometer? Any suggestions on replacement part?

Its well out of warranty and I've contacted Sony in my country but they've told me that they are unable to repair it as it is out of warranty and they do not have the necessary parts to fix it (whole country is locked down due to the pandemic). I've tried to reach out to some audio repair guys here but nobody seems to have an idea about how to fix this and hence, I am turning to experts here. I've actually browsed through this whole thread for clues and I would appreciate any help I get.

Update (7th September 2021) - PHA-3 Repair and Battery Replacement​

Out of desperation, I did the unthinkable and did the repair myself. I think I will share here for the reference of the other owners who may have similar issues.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.04.58 PM.png

First, I googled for the PHA-3 service manual pdf - low res online copy would do. I disassembled the unit using the instructions given - again I am not encouraging anyone to repair yourself if you have better options; I would have paid someone skilled to do it if I had the choice because many things could go wrong if you aren't careful.

I purchased a replacement battery from out of the country, and replaced the battery myself - issue number 1 solved.

I got a can of electronics contact cleaner, and sprayed some on the volume potentiometer (through a small hole on the body (red arrow in the picture below) and on the knob area) - issue number 2 solved.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 10.05.17 PM.png
It took me around 45 minutes to take everything apart, fix, and reassemble everything again. After testing it for the past 1 week, everything seems to be functioning perfectly well now, but I hope I do not have to do this again :p

Lastly, I would just like to say to Sony Malaysia, thank you for your nonsensical service.
THANKS FOR YOUR POST. FINALLY AN INSIDE OF PHA3 :)

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #1,875 of 1,922
Like @lancefire, I think I have to replace the battery of my PHA-3AC as it switches off sometimes :frowning2:
Does anyone know what battery it contains? It might be different from the regular PHA-3.
In the process I can clean the volume control too, as it has some crackling and imbalance when turning down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back