Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,894 of 1,922
Yes that is what I meant and I'm using the walkman port to connect Sony NW-A45 to PHA3 via Fiio L27 cable (wmport to micro-usb)
Sorry, I’m not following how this is relevant to my question. Not trying to be snarky. I’m just not sure where you’re going. My question is specifically about getting hi res audio from the iPhone to the PHA-3.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,895 of 1,922
Sorry, I’m not following how this is relevant to my question. Not trying to be snarky. I’m just not sure where you’re going. My question is specifically about getting hi res audio from the iPhone to the PHA-3.
Sorry, maybe it's a misunderstanding, please refer to the below diagram
pha3-3.jpg

As you can see the iphone is connected to usb-a so I was curious if you can also get connection from iphone using micro-usb ie "walkman" port.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,896 of 1,922
Sorry, maybe it's a misunderstanding, please refer to the below diagram
pha3-3.jpg

As you can see the iphone is connected to usb-a so I was curious if you can also get connection from iphone using micro-usb ie "walkman" port.
I apologize but you’re losing me.

Here is the connection I’m using: iPhone —> Lightning Camera Adapter —> USB A male to micro USB female —> micro USB male to Walkman/Experia port on the PHA-3. That is the only way I know to get high resolution audio from an iPhone. That is the setup I’m talking about. It works, but if you move the cable, the PHA-3 often loses its connection to the phone.

Yes, obviously you can connect the iPhone to the USB A female port on the PHA-3. However, the iPhone CANNOT pass high resolution audio to this port.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,897 of 1,922
All, I have the PHA-3. Have had it for a couple of years. I use the Apple camera adapter to get high res from my iPhone. I have to use the Sony cable supplied with the PHA-3 (don’t recall the special port name but it has two holes that the cable plugs into). Then I need an adapter cable between that cable and the Apple camera adapter to complete the connection.

It works, but the cables are VERY sensitive to even the tiniest movement. If I move the camera adapter even slightly, I lose the connection from my phone to the PHA-3. I’ve tried two different camera adapter cables at this point. It seems like there’s something very twitchy about the connection and I’m stumped. Anyone else have this issue?
Anyone else seeing this issue?

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,898 of 1,922
Anyone else seeing this issue?
I own pha-3 since 2015 and I don’t recall having this issue, I use it very rarely though nowadays.
But when I do I still enjoy it a lot - awesome combo with XBA-Z5

I just decided to pull it out again and everything seems to work just fine - camera adaptor into micro usb cable into Walkman/Xperia port.
No issues when moving cables/device/adaptor.

Attachments

• 1EA8FDE1-AACD-4E23-A9DD-B6C0E38DB6AF.jpeg
    1EA8FDE1-AACD-4E23-A9DD-B6C0E38DB6AF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,899 of 1,922
following on... (yeah, 'no issue either') (so didn't upvote complaint).

like many reports arcorss the web, my fibre optic input is flakey, but the other jacks and ports work fine.
I bought second hand and the fibre optic was ' a little poor' .. but still worked fine.
my best transports and better cables worked reliably at that point.
after six months it was good for thirty minutes (from a cold start), and then it would start dropping out...
six months further on it is good for five mins from a cold start.

only issue being the fibre optic input (for me)..

(and some static on left channel when moving volume pot)(as always since day one, albeit, "second hand purchase")

still fantastic amp.
smashes an iFi Diablo (to the gutter). (as an amp)
sounds as good as decent 'old school' desktop amps.
still worthy to use: 100%

I am always keen to put it in chain, on a range of audio projects- this speaks volumes as to my brain VOTING for the actual sound quality given... (I own a few costlier amps).
Sony have muscial solder recipe etc... this makes them more special than mass market stuff generally.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #1,900 of 1,922
I own pha-3 since 2015 and I don’t recall having this issue, I use it very rarely though nowadays.
But when I do I still enjoy it a lot - awesome combo with XBA-Z5

I just decided to pull it out again and everything seems to work just fine - camera adaptor into micro usb cable into Walkman/Xperia port.
No issues when moving cables/device/adaptor.
Why do u need a camera adapter when any Apple charging cable will work directly into the iPad port on the PHA-3?

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,901 of 1,922
Hi - Anyone come up from a PHA-2? Mine is on it's last legs and is probably close to 8 to 9 years old with almost daily use, so well and truly used.

Also, would used PHA-3's be ok? or is it recommended to get new only?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,902 of 1,922
Why do u need a camera adapter when any Apple charging cable will work directly into the iPad port on the PHA-3?
I’m pretty sure one doesn’t get hi-res using standard lighting to usb cable. PHA-3 confirms this through its light indicator status.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #1,903 of 1,922
Can iPhone do hi-rez out of a camera kit? Are we using an Onkyo apps here? Would u mind explain a little bit here?

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,904 of 1,922
I am not an expert, but I think using lighning to usb connection is limiting you to 24-bit/48kHz (or maybe it's a limitation of PHA-3 actually since it's stated in the manual https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en1/contents/TP0000537279.html - I have never tried other DACs with my iPhone), what I observe is that PHA-3 only recognises that I play hi-res (above 24-bit/48kHz to be precise) when camera kit is used.

I do not own premium version of Onkyo, here's a quick test of DSD playback with FiiO app (camera kit vs regular lighning to usb).
IMG_3523.png
IMG_3524.png

This looks like a good high-level summary on hi-res with Apple devices https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #1,905 of 1,922
Thought I should mention, I've made a protective custom hard case for these, anyone interested PM me.
Its main body is watertight and is made out of 4mm thick PETG outer shell. Can also add carry strap mounting holes (similar to the orange battery holder, straps are standard $2 AliExpress camera ones) or rear connections access.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg