Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 19, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,582 of 1,922
What did you compare with ? And I agree that PHA-3 is no joke
biggrin.gif

​ The Dap in your avatar.
tongue.gif
 The OPUS #1 and #2 The latest iBasso, The AK380 Cowon Plenue, FiiO X7, X5iii

I have been on a Obsessive compulsive search for a DAP with all the things folks claim is ideal. Stage that matches master and not DAC sig. Dynamics that give instruments their space without being too analytical/digital/stone cold neutral. Ability to EQ if desired and hearing that applied clearly to the track.

The bass arena was a chaotic mess that depended on what time you were logged in and who was hyping what and whether they were into rec'ing stuff. The # of pissed off folks was high as an audiophile would rec a basshead (without disclosing the don't like too much bass) and think they were doing him or her a favor.  A lot of what was said then is not said anymore (gross over statements of low end ability). I spent 18 months and a ton of loot with cb3723 and made something slightly resembling a basshead friendly list based on visual manifestations of low freq resonance and SPL.

I cannot do that with DAP but I can get a better understanding using a well regarded set (EX1000) in it's best mode (balanced) using the same identical track (Pink Floyd   -  On the Run).

You can see in my sig I am quite a Sony fanboy. but I am confident that my ears have been oddly disappointed with 3 separate $1500+ DAPS.  The PHA is stupid in it's balanced design and requires special cables and it is not very portable and ....it sounds so so so damn good.

just my 2 cents

lucky it's not worth anymore than that in the DAP world or I would be bursting bubbles left and right with glee.
but I can't......so it's just 2 cents...my 2 cents

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,583 of 1,922
You should check out the MDR-Z1R as well. That thing is a bass monster :D specially sub-bass. Pha-3 will have no problem with it out of balanced 3.5. It doesn't come with stock dual 3.5mm balanced to pha-3 though. You can try and buy part from MDR-z7 (stock cables)

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,584 of 1,922
Is RSA Ray Samuel's Audio? And what amp would that work with?

Yup, ray samuel audio.  They and ALO use the same balanced plugs.

I'm not selling my pha-3, it basically my reference amp, but if you have a pono player or a pha-3 already, then this would be a good adapter if you have any of your cables terminated in the rsa/alo plug.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,587 of 1,922
DSD is a way of storing data.  The two formats are DSF and DFF.  The internal audio stream is identical between the two formats but DSF allows for metadata (tags etc.) to be stored within the DSF.  DFF on has the audio stream.  I've stopped purchasing DSD files as I can't hear much difference between these and a 24/192 FLAC file.  Also, the latter are usually less expensive.  On some recordings I have the impression that the DSD reproduction is fuller (if that makes any sense).  However, this may also be my brain playing games.  

I don't believe you can use the PHA-3 while it is charging.  

What I notice is that if I plug it in and use it at the same time the battery seems not to drain. If the battery is dead, and I plug it in and play music, it will cut out every 10 seconds. So I mainly keep it plugged in and still listen and when I go portable it has lots of juice.

( I don't leave it plugged in all the time, only when I'm playing music at my desk...So I know it doesn't drain the battery when I'm playing music because I rarely am charging it unless I'm playing music)

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,588 of 1,922
I had the PHA3 for eight months now. I just landed the new z1R and then after a month decide to get the balanced cable from Kimber. So during the break in I had this thing plug in and played for days on end. It will absolutely charge and play as long as the temp doesn't get too high. You might think this is nuts but at night I just put a cold beer on top of the unit so the temp even in Saigon doesn't turn off the charging. The sound from this set up is A+. Now leave it alone and play and charge it will drain down in 8 hours or so because it gets hot the charge will end. It's all about the temp. Cheers.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #1,589 of 1,922
Does anyone know the pinout for 4 pin XLR used on HD800?  I want to make an adaptor with female 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm jacks to allow use of HD800 balanced on PHA3.  Thanks in anticipation.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,590 of 1,922
  Does anyone know the pinout for 4 pin XLR used on HD800?  I want to make an adaptor with female 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm jacks to allow use of HD800 balanced on PHA3.  Thanks in anticipation.

You might want to hold off - I mean AFAIK there will be a PHA-3 replacement... maybe PHA-4 ? At some point and I bet it'll use the 4.4mm TRRS standard 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back