Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 13, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,006 of 1,922
  3.5mm TRRS plugs have the two grounds adjacent. If you plug them into a single-ended headphone out that doesn't support mic/controls, the two grounds will both connect to the jack's ground. If the device supports controls (like an iDevice or android phone) then one pole will be for the controls and you will only get one channel.  I have tried many DAPs and amps that don't support controls and they usually work with balanced 3.5mm TRRS headphones.  This is not true for the AK 2.5mm TRRS because it orders the signals differently.

Having a TRRS fit a TRS jack so that the second ring and the sleeve both connect to ground is more luck than anything else I'd say: just take a look at the numerous reports on TRRS headphones (with mic) giving problems with some players. But nice if you were lucky in that regard... I'd just not take it for granted.

Plus you're correct that this lucky case can only happen if the balanced TRRS headphone is wired with the two grounds on the second ring and the sleeve.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,007 of 1,922

Having a TRRS fit a TRS jack so that the second ring and the sleeve both connect to ground is more luck than anything else I'd say: just take a look at the numerous reports on TRRS headphones (with mic) giving problems with some players. But nice if you were lucky in that regard... I'd just not take it for granted.

Plus you're correct that this lucky case can only happen if the balanced TRRS headphone is wired with the two grounds on the second ring and the sleeve.

I never even thought about this until I ordered a 3.5mm balanced TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter from Double Helix Cables. Peter wrote back and said that I didn't need an adapter. So I tested all of my equipment and that was true for my amps and some DAPs that didn't support controls on the cable. I report this to him and he agreed that he wasn't even thinking about devices with controls on their TRRS jacks, like the iPhone. You are right that it is hit and miss with smart devices, but most standalone amps or dac/amp combos are OK. 

The opposite is also true. Some amps freak out if you plug in an iCable with controls, so I use an adapter that converts those to TRS.  This is one reason that I never bought the AKG K3003 - I could only find the "i" version and most of my listening is from devices that don't support controls.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,008 of 1,922
  I never even thought about this until I ordered a 3.5mm balanced TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter from Double Helix Cables. Peter wrote back and said that I didn't need an adapter. So I tested all of my equipment and that was true for my amps and some DAPs that didn't support controls on the cable. I report this to him and he agreed that he wasn't even thinking about devices with controls on their TRRS jacks, like the iPhone. You are right that it is hit and miss with smart devices, but most standalone amps or dac/amp combos are OK. 

The opposite is also true. Some amps freak out if you plug in an iCable with controls, so I use an adapter that converts those to TRS.  This is one reason that I never bought the AKG K3003 - I could only find the "i" version and most of my listening is from devices that don't support controls.

Yes, that seems to be a gray zone with slight differences between different manufacturers of the parts... very unfortunate situation.

The K3003i comes with an adapter TRS -> TRRS btw :wink:

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,009 of 1,922
  AFAIK, TRRS in single-end jack is balanced. Then which is better, the LR Balanced or the TRRS?

TIA.

It is really depending on the amplifier end.  The ZX2 just have a separate ground for left & right, while the PHA3 is truly balanced in nature.  The PHA3 is definitely better sound wise but compared ZX2 output (not true balanced) to PHA-3 in single-end is quite comparable with efficient headphones.  The PHA3 pulls away quickly on difficult loads.  

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,010 of 1,922
Thanks a lot guys for correcting and for the additional information.

Quote:
  It is really depending on the amplifier end.  The ZX2 just have a separate ground for left & right, while the PHA3 is truly balanced in nature.  The PHA3 is definitely better sound wise but compared ZX2 output (not true balanced) to PHA-3 in single-end is quite comparable with efficient headphones.  The PHA3 pulls away quickly on difficult loads.  

Therefore, PHA-3 in balanced mode is better sounding than the ZX2 in TRRS? Sorry for the another newbie question.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,011 of 1,922
Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/tecstaff-store/ts10004.html

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,012 of 1,922
  Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/tecstaff-store/ts10004.html

Nice rig! I had an A17/PHA3/Z7 combination (but no stands or Kimber cable). That would be a great rig for somebody who had a small space, or needed solid portability. Man I love the look of that. Makes me wish I hadn't sold all of my Sony gear (I did keep my MDR 1As).

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,013 of 1,922
Input welcomed please. My Ether C order is on the way, but want to upgrade my portable rig.  I've both the Sony ZX2 and AK120 II.  Currently I've got the ZX2 rigged with ALO MK3-B balanced to Headphone.  I'm considering getting either the Sony PHA-3 or Cord Mojo and wondering which will give better bass slam/impact to the Ether-C?  

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,016 of 1,922
normal_smile .gif
!!!

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,017 of 1,922
  Please, do you know where to buy PHA-3 not EU version ?
I prefer with battery. Amazon usa does not ship to Italy

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-pha-3-portable-hi-res-dac-headphone-amplifier-black.html

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,019 of 1,922
I got mine via Amazon.com from a Japanese dealer btw. So that might be an option as well.

It's really a shame that Sony decided to cut out the battery for Europe... but maybe the sales volume does in fact make the necessary changes/tests too expensive. Still I think mobility is a main point with a product of this size... I'll just grab mine and sit outside in the sun now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back