Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Aug 28, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,276 of 1,929
Thank you Sony!

Every time they release a new a new thing the old thing drops to 50% instantly
biggrin.gif

Just grabbed a BNIB pha-3 for 450 bucks. AND IT's GOOOOOOOONE!!

So how do i make my Sony ex1000 go balanced? Tell me I need a splitter and not a whole new cable to the drivers

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,277 of 1,929
If you use a splitter then it won't be a proper balanced connection.

Here's what you need https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M20BL1-Headphone-Hybrid-Headphones/dp/B00NW35NNQ

Also, where did you buy the pha3 for $450? I want one!

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,278 of 1,929
If you use a splitter then it won't be a proper balanced connection.

Here's what you need https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M20BL1-Headphone-Hybrid-Headphones/dp/B00NW35NNQ

Also, where did you buy the pha3 for $450? I want one!

How about cutting an existing IEM cable and putting 1 of these at the end of each side?

Got it from a re-seller on Yahoo Japan. Un-opened. There are others for 500-650 but that will drop as the new Sony release approaches
So can I snip a nice cable with a 3.5 tip and re cable the left and Right to + and - on 2 tips like in the pic?

Should work.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,279 of 1,929
How about cutting an existing IEM cable and putting 1 of these at the end of each side?

Got it from a re-seller on Yahoo Japan. Un-opened. There are others for 500-650 but that will drop as the new Sony release approaches
So can I snip a nice cable with a 3.5 tip and re cable the left and Right to + and - on 2 tips like in the pic?

Should work.

IIRC the wires are different between balanced and unbalanced, I'm not 100% on that though. I know Whitigir who's usually here makes cables so he should know. Also that viablue's may be too thick for dual on the pha3, I'd go for the slim version.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,281 of 1,929
Usually SE wire has a common ground wire. If it has separated ground wires then the above solution is good to go

I just have a 4 wire 2 for each IEM but @PETEREK is going to make a balanced version for my Sony EX1000 and I am stoked.
I used to hate Sony cuz my VAIO PC was horrible and proprietary to the gills. Sony BGM is the group that put rootkit stuff to prevent piracy of DVD/CD content and violated everybodys rights and I'll be damned if they don't make the best stuff sometimes.

EX1000 balanced to a PHA-3 running from my Note 4...

Sony makin it raaaaaain!!!!  (that's my money in there
biggrin.gif
)

Thanks for the replies btw!

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,283 of 1,929
Hey gays and gals I just for the first time connected the PHA-3's line out to my Woo WA7. Now the Sony and the Woo is making really great music together. This show me the DAC in the Sony will scale up. Tomorrow I am taking delivery of the Violectric V220 and it will be paired with the Sony since I didn't get the inhouse DAC to go with the amp. Hoping for the best! Cheers.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,284 of 1,929
Hey gays and gals I just for the first time connected the PHA-3's line out to my Woo WA7. Now the Sony and the Woo is making really great music together. This show me the DAC in the Sony will scale up. Tomorrow I am taking delivery of the Violectric V220 and it will be paired with the Sony since I didn't get the inhouse DAC to go with the amp. Hoping for the best! Cheers.

Nice! I was thinking about getting the new Schiit amp and doing this since it has a balanced out also.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,286 of 1,929
What amp is it ?

This one http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim was just released. You can get it with the DAC section or just as an amp which is cheaper.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,287 of 1,929
Nice! I was thinking about getting the new Schiit amp and doing this since it has a balanced out also.

I was just forced to learn how to do it. I really did want to get the Vio's build in DAC but this unit was the closest one to me here in Vietnam and it had no DAC. It was DHL yesterday from Hong Kong and I will get this tomorrow. I can tell you this little Sony is much better then the build in Woo DAC. I am just using this set up right now with the Grado 500e and it's really. So good in fact I am listening to music at a lower volume level. I am an absolute rookie at this so YMMV. Cheers.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,289 of 1,929
  Thank you Sony!

Every time they release a new a new thing the old thing drops to 50% instantly
biggrin.gif

Just grabbed a BNIB pha-3 for 450 bucks. AND IT's GOOOOOOOONE!!

So how do i make my Sony ex1000 go balanced? Tell me I need a splitter and not a whole new cable to the drivers

where ... WHERE did you get it for 450$ O_O
i was waiting for seller to come back to city to buy it for 550$~... and it is used since 2015-12. maybe there will be a better option(s)

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,290 of 1,929
where ... WHERE did you get it for 450$ O_O
i was waiting for seller to come back to city to buy it for 550$~... and it is used since 2015-12. maybe there will be a better option(s)

He said yahoo Japan site. I looked but didn't see any new for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back