Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #737 of 1,929
  hi i noticed that we have the same UE 16Pro and PHA-3, i am wondering where did u get that balanced cable for ur IME? I want to get one too.  Do they improve the sound quality a lot by using balanced cable?

Its UE 18 Pro​ - I got the Cable from plusSound - you can google them to see their site. It took them 4 weeks to make and ship and cost me around ~$170 - I still have it laying around like new, if you are interested, I can give you a good deal for mine - pm me

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #739 of 1,929
  The UE 18Pro I already have it for a long time, it's the PHA-3 that i am talking about that it really doesn't improve the sound quality a lot.

I understand what you are saying but your UE18pro maybe a bad match with the PHA-3.  The other user with UE18pro also reported no improvement when paired with the PHA3 as well.   OTOH, the PHA-3 does a really job with everything that I own.  Do you have other phones that you can try with the PHA-3?

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #741 of 1,929
  I understand what you are saying but your UE18pro maybe a bad match with the PHA-3.  The other user with UE18pro also reported no improvement when paired with the PHA3 as well.   OTOH, the PHA-3 does a really job with everything that I own.  Do you have other phones that you can try with the PHA-3?

Shure SE315, which is a lower end IMEs.  Also a beats by dre solo(don't judge me, it was me back to the days i know nothing about sound quality, lol)

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #742 of 1,929

This is the exact same reason why I sold my PHA-3. I thought I was going crazy at first. I have the UE 18 Pro too and used the balanced out. I used it with the iPhone or PC, both sounded same with or without PHA-3.

I was told that because these IEMs are so sensitive that you don't really need an AMP to get the best out of them. In our case, AMPs are only used to "color"/change the sound signature.

my mistake

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #743 of 1,929

Oh my God, I found out how to use PHA-3 with UE 18Pro! You gotta turn on the Gain to HIGH setting. It sounds amazing! I can hear SOOOOOO MANY things I didn't hear before!!! OMG. Amazing! And I was that close to return this product. Everyone go try it! This PHA-3 won't improve the sound quality of UE 18Pro unless you turn the gain to high! Once you turn the gain to high, omg trust me, heavy.

Nice. The PHA 3 does sound simply amazing. I have mine up for sale as an interest check, but I'm not sure I can let it go. I don't need it, but man it is really simple to sit on the couch with my Z7s and the A17 and just enjoy stunning sound. I know the Z7s are not a neutral sound signature, but I like them quite a bit now. Once your brain gets used to a little plump bass it is indeed seductive. The dark side calls.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #744 of 1,929
Oh my God, I found out how to use PHA-3 with UE 18Pro! You gotta turn on the Gain to HIGH setting. It sounds amazing! I can hear SOOOOOO MANY things I didn't hear before!!! OMG. Amazing! And I was that close to return this product. Everyone go try it! This PHA-3 won't improve the sound quality of UE 18Pro unless you turn the gain to high! Once you turn the gain to high, omg trust me, heavy.

Gain should not matter much but I am glad that u found ur way on the ue18pro and pha3 combo. Don't forget to revise your Amazon review.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #745 of 1,929
I've read through a considerable part of this thread but still cannot find out if the PHA3 will play dsd files from a windows computer connected through usb? Can this be done using programs like foobar, Jriver or HQPlayer? All of those programs will output dsd and are designed to work with asio drivers from the manufacturer of the connected device. I see that there are drivers supplied by Sony but are they asio or something else? Can anyone explain if this can be done with the PHA3 using it with your home computer and a usb connection?

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #746 of 1,929
I've read through a considerable part of this thread but still cannot find out if the PHA3 will play dsd files from a windows computer connected through usb? Can this be done using programs like foobar, Jriver or HQPlayer? All of those programs will output dsd and are designed to work with asio drivers from the manufacturer of the connected device. I see that there are drivers supplied by Sony but are they asio or something else? Can anyone explain if this can be done with the PHA3 using it with your home computer and a usb connection?

Yes it can be done. I've played dsd files on foobar2000 using the pha-3 connected via USB. You have to install a bunch of drivers/components and tweak some settings in foobar2000 but I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head. If you search online I'm sure you'll find a guide/how-to easily.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #747 of 1,929

I don't know what you are talking about! The gain setting has nothing to do with sound quality. SPECIALLY for the UE 18 Pro which can be driven by anything.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #748 of 1,929

Besides foobar and the various components etc, for the pha3 I prefer using the Sony mediago software. It is fuss free and instantly recognizes the pha3 when connected to your PC/laptop. You can get it from http://www.sony.com.sg/support/download/598041/product/pha-3

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #749 of 1,929
  Besides foobar and the various components etc, for the pha3 I prefer using the Sony mediago software. It is fuss free and instantly recognizes the pha3 when connected to your PC/laptop. You can get it from http://www.sony.com.sg/support/download/598041/product/pha-3

Thanks for the tip but I'm an HQPlayer user and I would want to use HQP from my windows computer when I use the HPA3 at home. Many including myself think it is without parallel in dsd playback.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #750 of 1,929
  Thanks for the tip but I'm an HQPlayer user and I would want to use HQP from my windows computer when I use the HPA3 at home. Many including myself think it is without parallel in dsd playback.

I am myself a HQPlayer user, the biggest amount I have ever paid for a music software. I totally agree that it is unparalleled for dsd playback. Having said that I have'nt tried the pha3 via HQP. Have you? We should compare notes, I will try this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back