Sony NWZ-A846 Review
Mar 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #31 of 45

You're right, I didn't catch on to your true intent.....sorry! Yeah, i don't use lossless on my DAPs either, and I'll never call myself an audiophile.
L3000.gif

Quote:

Perhaps some may not have understood the 'humour' in point # 5 on my earlier post and my views on the often recommended, if not downright mandatory, use of FLAC files.

I personally DO NOT use, nor do I feel inclined to use, FLAC files. I didn't even use lossless files when I had my two 160GB iPod Classics. I believe there's a bit too much snobbery, exaggeration & misinformation re: the use of FLAC files or other lossless file formats, particularly true when people talk about top-tier IEMs and (high-end) customs, and some DAPs. It often seems to me that if you use FLAC or other lossless formats, you suddenly become an audiophile, when that clearly is not the case.

The same is often true when people think that because they have the most expensive customs, aftermarket cables, expensive amps and use FLAC files, they are an audiophile. In fact, the word audiophile makes me cringe every time I see it.

​

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:
I also felt that a couple of later posts focused namely on certain negative aspects...

Ok, in a blatant attempt to make up for the negative aspects I posted, let me repeat "the Sony A840 has outstanding synergy with some IEMs", one of them being the RE1. I even made a thread about that fact some time back. A few pictures from the thread didn't survive the migration to the new forum, but it's still understandable. So if you happen to have both of these (or have the RE1 and can get a good deal on an A840
wink.gif
), take a few minutes to try it out. IMO one of the cheapest tickets to top-tier level SQ that you can find.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #34 of 45
That would be cool if you got one. How tempted are you? Heh heh. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it in comparison to the X. More space would be great for sure. Can you get a Japanese unit to function in English though? I haven't kept up enough with this Sony NWZ-A8## series to know. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #35 of 45
I haven't one myself although am pretty tempted, but fwir the menu on a Japanese unit is only in Japanese.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #36 of 45
What happened to this review? It all started out nice and good. I happened to mention some problems I had with the unit, but I see no problem at all in the review. Strange happenings here at headfi.

Regarding menus: mine was Japanese and everything was in Japanese from OS to artists. Now, if your artists are foreign, they will display in whatever readable typeset the Sony can display. So, English and French artists who up in Roman letter, while Japanese artists show up in Japanese.

Lovely menu system Sony have.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 45
Apr 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #39 of 45

Quote:
Would a Sony NWZ A846 bought from Hong Kong have the Volume cap issue which is present in the E.U version??

No, it would not. The EU volume cap is ONLY for European Union countries, hence EU.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #40 of 45
Hi Mark,

I own the Sony NWZ-A846 which I really like.  This morning I orded some UM3X headphones to go with it without listening to them first.  I was a bit worried how they would sound together but after reading your review you have put my mind at rest. Thank you.
smile.gif

Great review by the way.  I agree with everything you said about the Sony NWZ-A846 (except for the bit about the volume control position).

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #43 of 45

Quote:
I'm absolutely loving them.  The Sony A-Series Walkman and Westone UM3x earphones sound unbelievably good together.  A great combo.

glad you like, the UM3x is a weird one.  i dont think ive heard anything that changes so much depending on the source as it does

Users who are viewing this thread

Back