SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,356 of 2,672
Jan 6, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #2,358 of 2,672
Just FYI, DSD works up to 256. I really hoped for DSD 512 but 256 is the limit.

I got some stuff from NativeDSD so I can test the IER M9s when I get to Tokyo, I just really, really hope I'll not walk out with IER Z1R because my boyfriend will kick me out or ask me to sleep in the garage =))

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #2,359 of 2,672
Just FYI, DSD works up to 256. I really hoped for DSD 512 but 256 is the limit.

I got some stuff from NativeDSD so I can test the IER M9s when I get to Tokyo, I just really, really hope I'll not walk out with IER Z1R because my boyfriend will kick me out or ask me to sleep in the garage =))

44 100 Hz * 256 = 11 289 600 Hz (11.2 MHz) / 1 bit
11 289 600 Hz / 32 bits = 352 800 Hz (352.8 kHz)

So 11.2 MHz DSD (DSD256) and 352.8 kHz PCM, the specs of the S-Master HX inside these players.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #2,360 of 2,672
I am the owner of an uncapped ZX707 bought at EBay. I almost liked everything. 1 thing (not unimportant) that I don’t like is the lack of bass. I have the IMR Acoustics Dark Matter (In ear monitors) with a Dunu Hulk pro cable and his strong point is his dynamic and deep bass. But it sounds flat on the 707. Will the bass become better when I burn in the player for a longer time? It is now burnt in for around 100 hours. I read something about the change in sound because of the firmware update. How do you guys handle this?

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #2,361 of 2,672
I am the owner of an uncapped ZX707 bought at EBay. I almost liked everything. 1 thing (not unimportant) that I don’t like is the lack of bass. I have the IMR Acoustics Dark Matter (In ear monitors) with a Dunu Hulk pro cable and his strong point is his dynamic and deep bass. But it sounds flat on the 707. Will the bass become better when I burn in the player for a longer time? It is now burnt in for around 100 hours. I read something about the change in sound because of the firmware update. How do you guys handle this?
I hate to be that guy but

1. These are not Monitors
2. They do not have strong bass to begin with

I assume whatever you used before, boosted the bass and the ZX707 just doesn't do that.

In that case, I recommend to just use an EQ or buy something that boosts the bass. Burnin will not change the sound a lot from 100 to 200h, the biggest difference is in the first 20h or so

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,362 of 2,672
I hate to be that guy but

1. These are not Monitors
2. They do not have strong bass to begin with

I assume whatever you used before, boosted the bass and the ZX707 just doesn't do that.

In that case, I recommend to just use an EQ or buy something that boosts the bass. Burnin will not change the sound a lot from 100 to 200h, the biggest difference is in the first 20h or so
Hmm.. I read from a lot of people that sound continuously changed with the firmware updates. How long do you have the 707 and Whats your experience with the firmware updates?

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #2,363 of 2,672
Hmm.. I read from a lot of people that sound continuously changed with the firmware updates. How long do you have the 707 and Whats your experience with the firmware updates?
From what I know about IMR, they make a lot of bass heavy IEMs and looks like Dark Matter’s main focus is bass as well.

Did you try updating the Zx707 to the latest firmware ? It has decent bass compared to some of the previous versions and still sounds okay.

What player/source did you have before this if I may ask ? If you want heavy bass and good overall sound, get yourself a DAC/AMP from IFI Audio that comes with their XBass feature. Even a ZEN DAC will do.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #2,364 of 2,672
The Dark Matter has big bass with Zx507 and Nw-WM1A so it's not the iems that are lacking I don't own the zx707 so I can't compare.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #2,365 of 2,672
From what I know about IMR, they make a lot of bass heavy IEMs and looks like Dark Matter’s main focus is bass as well.

Did you try updating the Zx707 to the latest firmware ? It has decent bass compared to some of the previous versions and still sounds okay.

What player/source did you have before this if I may ask ? If you want heavy bass and good overall sound, get yourself a DAC/AMP from IFI Audio that comes with their XBass feature. Even a ZEN DAC will do.
Yes I updated to the latest firmware. The 707 is my first DAP. Before I listened to music on my IPhone 14 Pro Max with a Lightning to 3.5 cable or with my Ifi gold bar. My experience now is that Dark matter looses his main character (Deep Full bass and rumble) when using with the 707.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #2,366 of 2,672
Yes I updated to the latest firmware. The 707 is my first DAP. Before I listened to music on my IPhone 14 Pro Max with a Lightning to 3.5 cable or with my Ifi gold bar. My experience now is that Dark matter looses his main character (Deep Full bass and rumble) when using with the 707.
You can trying a factory reset, to see if that helps. Sometimes, there may be a setting affecting it, or it is just not working properly, for whatever reason.

Do note that the factory reset will reset the Audio Played hours to "0".

Have you tried another IEM/Cable? Reseated the IEM plugs, cleaned the pins, jacks, etc. with Deoxit? A bad connection can make the sound really off.

The ZX707 should not sound as you describe it.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,367 of 2,672
It measures flat with a very gentle and tasteful linear boost on the higher frequencies. And sounds just like that, a bit on the softer side.

If anything I wish it was more colored sometimes, but sounds way better than some of the stuff that errs on the analytical side.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,368 of 2,672
Don't expect IFI levels of bass in the Zx707. I don't know if there are any bass heavy DAPs tbh. I own a few of them and they are all a bit warm/neutral or simply neutral sounding.

If still possible, return the Zx707 and next time before you buy a DAP research a little bit or even better try to audition it before buying.
On the other hand, if you want a real bass-head IEM get an Empire Ear IEM like the Legend X. This way you can enjoy the bass with any DAP or DAC/AMP.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #2,369 of 2,672
It’s no use having a 3000£ headphone with a 600£ DAP. In fact I would argue that a 3K pair of headphones is the equivalent of a 10K pair of speakers so you should consider a 10K DAC at that level.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #2,370 of 2,672
Maybe you need to do factory reset to your unit? Or you have eq on the sound adjustment and forget to turn it off? I use mine (uncapped version) with U18s and it provide me more than enough low end..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back