SONY NW-ZX700
Dec 25, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #2,341 of 2,672
Are you hearing improved dynamics(stronger feeling/impact of bass, more instantaneous sensation of beats) or actual increase in loudness of sounds?

It could be one or both. Improved dynamics can be done by Sony by improving the slew rate of the amplifier or via signal processing but without increasing the actual max power output.

As to whether one actually hears differences in firmware, I think this answer is going to be very variable as Sony can tune different aspects of the sound on the Walkman. They can change how DSEE Ultimate process sounds but if one doesn’t use this DSP, then they won’t hear any difference.
No. Just louder. I typically a, around 90/120 using IER M9, but now I’m around 80 if not lower.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #2,342 of 2,672
DSEE is buggy and DC Phase started rolling off the sub bass instead of adding mid bass like it used to do.

The filters are a massive waste of time.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #2,344 of 2,672
How much power does it make? I cane not find this rating anywhere.
If you're referring to power output, it's 1.1 mW for the US/Canada/Europe version (or any capped version). That's from here. Go to the Specifications tab and click "See More".

For the uncapped versions, it's 50 mW for the 3.5mm jack and 230 mW on the balanced jack when using High Gain on each (you can enable High gain separately for each jack). On low gain it's lower, but still higher than the 1.1 mW on the capped versions. That info is from here.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,346 of 2,672
Hi everyone, I went on a trip to Japan and scored a ZX707 (2nd hand) for around 450$, very happy! (For anyone interested, you can find tons of 2nd hand ones in great condition).

Either way, I am very new to DAPs and I have a few questions:

1) This is maybe super silly, but is there any way to prevent the player to play music if no audio cable is connected? I found multiple times that the player was accidentally playing endless amount of music while it was stored away. This also messes with my Last.fm stats which is also a bit annoying

2) Is there a preferred way of listening? I am currently in Direct mode, which I assume is "play the file as intended", but am I missing out on all the high tech shenanigans?

3) To me it was *shocking* how detailed everything sounded, but I have to say this has been a bit of a double edged sword: there have been some records (ie In Times New Roman by QOTSA) that sound so crisp and detailed that I almost feel overwhelmed by the sound itself. Is it a matter of finding a better EQ setting? Is it a matter of just getting used to the new richer sound?

4) I assume that using BT bypasses all of the hw qualities of the DAP, is that a correct statement? Ie playing via BT from the ZX707 is the same as playing via BT from my phone. Or is there some form of benefit here as well?

Thank you for the help

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,347 of 2,672
Hi everyone, I went on a trip to Japan and scored a ZX707 (2nd hand) for around 450$, very happy! (For anyone interested, you can find tons of 2nd hand ones in great condition).

Either way, I am very new to DAPs and I have a few questions:

1) This is maybe super silly, but is there any way to prevent the player to play music if no audio cable is connected? I found multiple times that the player was accidentally playing endless amount of music while it was stored away. This also messes with my Last.fm stats which is also a bit annoying

2) Is there a preferred way of listening? I am currently in Direct mode, which I assume is "play the file as intended", but am I missing out on all the high tech shenanigans?

3) To me it was *shocking* how detailed everything sounded, but I have to say this has been a bit of a double edged sword: there have been some records (ie In Times New Roman by QOTSA) that sound so crisp and detailed that I almost feel overwhelmed by the sound itself. Is it a matter of finding a better EQ setting? Is it a matter of just getting used to the new richer sound?

4) I assume that using BT bypasses all of the hw qualities of the DAP, is that a correct statement? Ie playing via BT from the ZX707 is the same as playing via BT from my phone. Or is there some form of benefit here as well?

Thank you for the help

1) This is maybe super silly, but is there any way to prevent the player to play music if no audio cable is connected?
Not aware of any setting for this

2) Is there a preferred way of listening?
Every user has different preferences, IEM, music, etc., etc. Trying the different settings is a MUST to find out what is right for your preferences, mood, music. Each users system and preferences are distinct, and different, so try the settings and see what sounds good to "you".
- Direct mode is preferred by many. It bypasses all EQ and DSP settings.
- DSEE enhances lower quality music
Take a look at previous discussions on settings for the WM1AM2. They are relevant, as the Walkman family shares most of the settings.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-17299472

3) To me it was *shocking* how detailed everything sounded, but I have to say this has been a bit of a double edged sword:
See item 2 above. The different EQ and DSP settings are there exactly for this situation.

4) I assume that using BT bypasses all of the hw qualities of the DAP, is that a correct statement?
This would be true, if the hardware/firmware was all exactly the same. But there are an infinity of differences in how the hardware, electronics and decoding are done.
- Using an extreme example to illustrate: A system is using an external DAC. Would the $20K DAC have the same output as a $300 DAC, as they are just processing bits? There is a world of engineering going into components, design, power, noise, circuit layout, RF control, etc., etc.
- So while it is true that the BT signal from your phone is similar to the BT signal from a DAP, there are still differences in the signal. And while it is the BT earphone that takes the digital signal and decodes and amplifies it, and all the source is doing is sending a digital signal over BT, a different System combination can sound different. Not so much in gross changes to the sound, but in differences in timing, transparency, dynamics, etc., etc.
So, YES, different BT systems can sound different. It would be nice if there was no difference, as that would save a lot of money and be more convenient. But unfortunately that is not so.

THOUGH FOR SOME PEOPLE, there is no difference. Whether there is a difference FOR YOU, only you can decide.

Try, and if you hear no differences, then you are fine, and happy.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #2,349 of 2,672
Anyone else with 2.00 (Android 13) update not able to install the Amazon Music App? It simply says this app won't work for my device.
I don't think Android 13 is enforcing 64 bit-apps on Walkman devices but it might be possible. I know Amazon has been very lazy updating their apps to 64 bits.

You could try installing this apk manually (it is the arm64-v8a, 64 bit version ) and see if it works: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/amazo...-songs-podcasts-23-16-0-android-apk-download/

(apkmirror is safe btw)

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2,350 of 2,672
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #2,352 of 2,672
Any specific stores to look around Tokyo? I'm going in a couple of weeks and want to get some IEMs (IER M9) eventually tax free now that I can :k701smile:

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,353 of 2,672
Jan 2, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,354 of 2,672
Any specific stores to look around Tokyo? I'm going in a couple of weeks and want to get some IEMs (IER M9) eventually tax free now that I can :k701smile:
Also note that if they have very huge second hand selections, and they have a full-on setup I was completely unaware of:

* If you wanna try a DAP, they ask you if you have your headphones and your SD card with you
* If you don't have your music with you, they can give you a temp one with a few Hi-Res songs in it, but obv it's difficult to judge music you don't know
* If you don't have your headphones, they streight away ask you "which ones do you wanna try?". I just asked for HifiMan Ananda (the ones I had at home) and they just brought them to me haha

Final note is that all items do get a quality rating (if there are damages etc), so you will know exactly if the item is good, and it will be priced accordingly.
Go prepared if you can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back