SONY NW-ZX700
Dec 21, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #2,326 of 2,742
Btw DSEE Ultimate is only for low quality sources like Spotify or YouTube. For Lossless audio like Apple or Amazon, this is useless.
I have a few FLAC records in which the DSEE Ultimate is causing distortion and very strange sound artifacts.
Most of those effects cause more harm than good in my experience.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #2,327 of 2,742
disabling the Sony Headphones app

I disabled most apps including this the moment I unboxed the product. The fact that I haven't heared any significant sound changes between firmware upgrades might be related. Just wanted to add some more context on my claims.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,328 of 2,742
I disabled most apps including this the moment I unboxed the product. The fact that I haven't heared any significant sound changes between firmware upgrades might be related. Just wanted to add some more context on my claims.
I did some more testing yesterday.
Clearly there’s a difference between
1. Music Player
2. Streaming with High-Res On
3. Streaming with High-Res Off

From the most natural to the most processed to me it was 1 > 3 > 2

#3 is where I hear quite some difference between firmware versions.
I assume most people here use #1 and there’s not much of a difference here as the playback here is anyway bit-perfect.

TLDR (for self): Don’t ****ing buy a Walkman unless you have local files and you will use it exclusively with the Music Player app.

Dec 21, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,329 of 2,742
Uapp on zx707 can stream tidal and qobuz bit perfect, it doesn't upsample.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,331 of 2,742
It can be done.
Luckily I did hear back from the seller last night, and they told me they're getting in touch with the previous owner (whom I assume simply forgot to wipe the Walkman before selling it in the first place) to get the passcode/log in info. Hopefully things work out without having to do the FRP bypass method myself (the video I found for the AW-105 didn't work anyway, as the ZX-707 is on a newer version of Android).

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,332 of 2,742

I felt that Sony has been making steady improvements to their HTRF/360RA during 2023. There was a recent update to the HRTF algorithms during 3rd quarter of 2023 and Sony recommended for users to reupload their ear photos to generate a new improved experience.

The only issue with this kind of spatial sound processing is that the headphone in use has to be great at soundstaging and imaging or else it’s just not going to sound impressive.
Sony is pushing this HRTF/360RA:

I noticed a new settings tab: '360 Reality Audio' present now under Sound Adjustment in the Sound Settings which wasn't available in the previous firmware. It states hearing profile info and type of Sony headphones/IEM selected.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #2,333 of 2,742
Try experimenting with:

1) disabling the Sony Headphones app

this app in conjunction with High res streaming mode On has alot to do with expanding the soundstage.

If you turn off high streaming, disable headphone app and use direct source mode on, this is likely least sound processing configuration on the Walkman, this sounds most natural in my opinion but not really that enjoyable to listen to in my books.

this is from my experience on the WM1AM2, I don’t own the ZX707.

Personally for me, I like headphone app enabled, wired headphone profile added, ear scan done with high res streaming mode On and DSEE Ultimate switched on. It’s a big hit on the battery life but sounds more enjoyable to me with the expanded soundstage and stronger dynamics.
Nine months on and didn't know the music app had a say in sound. But I did open it right after installing 2.0 and unceremoniously closed it. Now the sound is back to the normal warm, musical Sony sound. Thanks! Your info on streaming normalization makes sense. I have always felt the same sound in Apple music sounds better than the default Sony player. The Sony player sounds a bit flat and low but I guess that's where the real sound is.

Personally, I like DSD Remastering turned on mostly or direct. If I am using the equalizer, I use DSEE Ultimate and DC Phase and Vinyl processor.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #2,334 of 2,742
I’m surprised no one’s talking about the change in sound after latest firmware update. It’s a massive difference compared to the previous version. Bass was bloated in the previous version, now tamed just a bit to make it sound more natural. Soundstage is over the roof ? I’m not sure if it’s too much even, sometimes I feel like everything has a “Hall Reverb” effect now (especially with open back headphones)

Any other impressions ?
It sounds to me it is about the same as the last firmware, haven't detected a big difference yet, I might need more audition to verify.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #2,336 of 2,742
Look at my recent comment above with the 3 different ways people use the Walkman. Not all of them show differences.
Yes, I read your comments and know that some users here listen to their ZX707 with different ways. For me, I just use the stock Walkman Music Player app, with heavy EQing (9 presets for my 9 IEMs) and also with Vinyl effect enabled in the EQ app. I never do wifi streaming or use other functions of the EQ app (such as DSEE).

I agree with you before, that the bass was fantastic with firmware ver. 1.00, the 1st firmware that came with ZX707. I don't have a strong impression about the mids and high, but I remember they sounds a bit hollow at that time.

After updating to firmware ver. 1.01, the sub-bass was tamed and felt quite a lot of its power/punch was reduced, didn't sound like the bass of Sony's signature. However, that was also the period that my ZX707 only reached about 100 hours of burn-in or less, the SQ produced by the 4.4mm jack is not mature yet.

When it came to version 1.02, the bass had become even worse. I was disappointed at that time but the bass quantity and quality starts to improve and achieve to a reasonable state after it reached between 300-400 hours of burn-in.

Now it comes to version 2.00, and my ZX707 has reached more than 650 hours of burn-in on the 4.4mm jack. I would say the whole sound signature is more refined, but not very obvious if I really focus on comparing between 1.02 and 2.00. I did pay attention to the SQ after the update but to my ears, it sounds just the same as before. An additional note is that I am a bass lover and I adjust the band 32, 64 and 128 EQ bars to the top level 10. As this setup produces the most powerful bass that the ZX707 can offer. I can sense immediately if there is any change made to the bass after the firmware update.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #2,340 of 2,742
I have the US version, and after the update to Android 13, it appears to have more power. Does anyone else notice this or am I making it up?
Are you hearing improved dynamics(stronger feeling/impact of bass, more instantaneous sensation of beats) or actual increase in loudness of sounds?

It could be one or both. Improved dynamics can be done by Sony by improving the slew rate of the amplifier or via signal processing but without increasing the actual max power output.

As to whether one actually hears differences in firmware, I think this answer is going to be very variable as Sony can tune different aspects of the sound on the Walkman. They can change how DSEE Ultimate process sounds but if one doesn’t use this DSP, then they won’t hear any difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back