SONY NW-ZX700
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,146 of 2,742
An update on my lyrics issue with the Sony music player: it looks like lyrics have to be synchronized (e.g. they must have a timestamp associated with each line) for the Sony player to display them. I only have 1 song that has synchronized lyrics and it's the only song that has lyrics available in the app, even though many other songs have lyrics without timestamps. A bit of an odd choice, as synced lyrics are harder to obtain, and going back through over a thousand songs and adding in timestamps is going to be a pain. Oh well.

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,147 of 2,742
There's a tweak worth trying for your walkman:

Settings > Advanced > Developer options > Quick settings developer tiles > Sensors Off > Toggle On

Swipe finger down from main home screen, toggle Sensors Off

How to enable developer options:
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-developer-options/

Powering down the accelerometer can help improve battery life and maybe improve sound quality for some. But you lose automatic screen rotation.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #2,148 of 2,742
Alright, for anyone in the future who wants to get lyrics in the Sony Music Player, the player is very strict about the format of the lyrics files. EVERY line must have a timestamp to be displayed. Lines without a timestamp are not displayed. And the timestamp MUST have at least 2 digits for the minute field.

So a timestamp like this is allowed:
[00:15.30]Lyrics are here

This is also allowed:
[00:17]Lyrics are here

This is NOT allowed and this line won't be recognized as a lyric line:
[0:17]Lyrics are here

This will only display the first line:
[00:17]Lyrics are here
And continue here

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,149 of 2,742
I don’t know in which firmware upgrade it happened but DC Phase is now simply rolling off sub bass extension. It used to add a bit more punch by shifting into the mid bass a bit for some of the settings.

Back to direct source I guess.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,151 of 2,742
I don’t know in which firmware upgrade it happened but DC Phase is now simply rolling off sub bass extension. It used to add a bit more punch by shifting into the mid bass a bit for some of the settings.

Back to direct source I guess.
Just checking what version of the Headphone App are you on?

For my WM1AM2, I noticed that the latest Headphone App 10.1.2 released on Sept 29 2023, Sony seems to have made some changes to the bass.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,152 of 2,742
Anybody knows what firmware would be factory installed if I import a ZX from Japan now?

I would really ike to get one on the older firmware..

I wouldn’t mind getting another one if this was possible. The original firmware to me sounded the best.
But as others have pointed out, it is hard to say which firmware version device you will get now out of the box.

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,153 of 2,742
With the lyrics kerfuffle root-caused, I don't have any other functional issues with the Walkman. It's become my main playback device these days. I'll plug in my regular headphones into it directly, and if I want to listen to my electrostatics, I'll use the USB connection to use my Ferrum Erco or I'll plug the Erco's RCA input into the 3.5mm jack on the Walkman and get a different sound. Google Play Services updated to the most recent version a few days ago, without any change to the settings. I do wish that the Headphones Connect app didn't need me to create an account for the sound personalization. I would have played around with it, but when it refused to continue without an account, laziness took over and I put it off for another day.

After more listening, I went back to thinking that the ZX707 has a bassier and warmer sound than my other gear. It synergizes very well with my MDR-Z7M2 (somewhat surprising, as I'd have thought that their similar sound signatures would be overwhelming when combined, but they aren't, the Walkman just takes the Z7's sound characteristics up to 11), and it nearly gives some life to my Aeon 2 Closed. The more pronounced bass and lower frequencies are also a nice complement to the Erco's sound, which is tonally neutral but dynamically emphasized with added punch and sizzle. This sizzle can be a bit too spicy on my electrostatics, so switching the source out to the Walkman is nice for a change of pace.

DSEE is pretty neat, and it does seem to make songs sound a bit more open (slightly and subtly) as well as adding more texture to the trailing ends of drum hits. It seems to work better on recorded instruments rather than vocals or synthesized music like EDM, and my music is predominantly EDM with vocals, so I usually just use Direct mode. But DSEE is neat technology that I appreciate. I'm trying to explore jazz these days, and maybe DSEE will help with some of the old Billie Holiday recordings.

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2,154 of 2,742
With the lyrics kerfuffle root-caused, I don't have any other functional issues with the Walkman. It's become my main playback device these days. I'll plug in my regular headphones into it directly, and if I want to listen to my electrostatics, I'll use the USB connection to use my Ferrum Erco or I'll plug the Erco's RCA input into the 3.5mm jack on the Walkman and get a different sound. Google Play Services updated to the most recent version a few days ago, without any change to the settings. I do wish that the Headphones Connect app didn't need me to create an account for the sound personalization. I would have played around with it, but when it refused to continue without an account, laziness took over and I put it off for another day.

After more listening, I went back to thinking that the ZX707 has a bassier and warmer sound than my other gear. It synergizes very well with my MDR-Z7M2 (somewhat surprising, as I'd have thought that their similar sound signatures would be overwhelming when combined, but they aren't, the Walkman just takes the Z7's sound characteristics up to 11), and it nearly gives some life to my Aeon 2 Closed. The more pronounced bass and lower frequencies are also a nice complement to the Erco's sound, which is tonally neutral but dynamically emphasized with added punch and sizzle. This sizzle can be a bit too spicy on my electrostatics, so switching the source out to the Walkman is nice for a change of pace.

DSEE is pretty neat, and it does seem to make songs sound a bit more open (slightly and subtly) as well as adding more texture to the trailing ends of drum hits. It seems to work better on recorded instruments rather than vocals or synthesized music like EDM, and my music is predominantly EDM with vocals, so I usually just use Direct mode. But DSEE is neat technology that I appreciate. I'm trying to explore jazz these days, and maybe DSEE will help with some of the old Billie Holiday recordings.
Since you do have the MDR-Z7M2, I highly recommend for you to take the effort to create a Sony account and upload your ear photo for your own personalized HRTF spatial sound optimization. I feel it is an important enough step to get better music enjoyment. In my own experience, It really helps with improving the imaging of vocals and instruments and spacial stage reproduction, which closed back headphones like the Z7M2 are not as good at(as compared to open back). Do try to ensure you follow the head shape outline and ensure that both ear photos are of equal size for better results.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #2,155 of 2,742
Im really enjoying the zx707 with Sony ier m9 iems. Just sounds really nice

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #2,156 of 2,742
I wouldn’t mind getting another one if this was possible. The original firmware to me sounded the best.
But as others have pointed out, it is hard to say which firmware version device you will get now out of the box.
I just file a request to Sony again, requesting them to restore the bass timbre of firmware ver. 1.00 in the next firmware update.

After auditioning the ZX707 with all my IEMs for several months, I still feel that the power and quantity of the bass is still not up to the level that firmware ver. 1.00 delivered. The bass is improved with ver. 1.02 for sure, it is better than 1.01 but it is still lacking those punchy sub-bass.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #2,157 of 2,742
I wonder about people talking about the sub bass since im using quite bassy IEM i dont know what am i missing and i dont feel like adding more bass to my IEM. Is the ver 1.0 sound way better overall?

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,158 of 2,742
I wonder about people talking about the sub bass since im using quite bassy IEM i dont know what am i missing and i dont feel like adding more bass to my IEM. Is the ver 1.0 sound way better overall?
When the ZX707 was on 1.00, on my all IEMs the Walkman delivered very punchy and deep bass (you know, the Sony signature bass sound). After my ZX707 was upgraded to firmware 1.01 this beautiful bass was gone. Bass is still here but I strongly sense that it is tamed a lot and that deep punchy signature is totally gone. Additionally, the mid and treble is more pronounced, as some users describe as 'shouty'.

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #2,159 of 2,742
When the ZX707 was on 1.00, on my all IEMs the Walkman delivered very punchy and deep bass (you know, the Sony signature bass sound). After my ZX707 was upgraded to firmware 1.01 this beautiful bass was gone. Bass is still here but I strongly sense that it is tamed a lot and that deep punchy signature is totally gone. Additionally, the mid and treble is more pronounced, as some users describe as 'shouty'.
Agree. Latest update is much more fatiguing, less pleasant for extended listening compared to the previous firmwares. Also miss the rumbling bass of the 1.0 firmware.

Sony, give us a new firmware update and this time do it right please!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,160 of 2,742
Just checking what version of the Headphone App are you on?

For my WM1AM2, I noticed that the latest Headphone App 10.1.2 released on Sept 29 2023, Sony seems to have made some changes to the bass.
I am on 3.0.2

Edit: Ah nevermind, headphone app. I have that one disabled an on 9.3.0.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back