SONY NW-ZX700
Jun 11, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #1,847 of 2,672
Also wondering does the 707 still have the analog level meter and spectrum analyser playback screen options like the old walkmen?
After going through the options on my own ZX707, I didn’t see it anywhere I don’t believe this version of the Walkman have those options available any longer.

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,848 of 2,672
My Musashino Label Rose Gold Case came in. Love it more than the OEM learher flap one.
20230613_211719.jpg

Attachments

• 20230613_211719.jpg
    20230613_211719.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #1,849 of 2,672
Anybody noticed that on 707, scrolling on the UI seems to not be as responsive a little slow? It looks like the item being scrolled is trying to catch up with my fingers.

Understand that the SOC on this might not be that powerful compared to phones but opening apps seems to be fast just the scrolling seems to be a little choppy.

Compared this with the A306, WM1A M2 and both of those seems to be responding fine to scrolling.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #1,850 of 2,672
Anybody noticed that on 707, scrolling on the UI seems to not be as responsive a little slow? It looks like the item being scrolled is trying to catch up with my fingers.

Understand that the SOC on this might not be that powerful compared to phones but opening apps seems to be fast just the scrolling seems to be a little choppy.

Compared this with the A306, WM1A M2 and both of those seems to be responding fine to scrolling.
I complained about this the moment I got the device and people laughed because I was comparing it to the iPhone.
In any case, I think I got used to the responsiveness and let’s just say my finger just moves slower when operating this device. Removing the animations helped a bit and so did the firmware upgrade.
Now I mostly noticed the slowdown caused by the sd card.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,851 of 2,672
I agree the UI lags at times, but it's not horrible. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the scroll bar, sometimes I can grab it without any issues, other times I get the item on the list. I can't quite tell if it's just me 'fat fingering' the scroll bar or if that part of the UI needs some adjustments by Sony.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,853 of 2,672
I complained about this the moment I got the device and people laughed because I was comparing it to the iPhone.
In any case, I think I got used to the responsiveness and let’s just say my finger just moves slower when operating this device. Removing the animations helped a bit and so did the firmware upgrade.
Now I mostly noticed the slowdown caused by the sd card.
Although the A306 has fewer cores in its SOC compared to ZX707, it feels much responsive when scrolling. However, I do feel the slight difference when launching apps and such. Yes, the ZX707 is the fastest amongst all the Sony players I tried in launching apps and such but scrolling though, hmmm.

I do hope Sony might be able to rectify this through firmware updates.

I agree the UI lags at times, but it's not horrible. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the scroll bar, sometimes I can grab it without any issues, other times I get the item on the list. I can't quite tell if it's just me 'fat fingering' the scroll bar or if that part of the UI needs some adjustments by Sony.
Agree, not horrible but you do feel it. Yes I hope that this is something Sony can fix in a future firmware update.

Not sure about the UI lag but from my experience, the device runs warmer/hot while browsing Android crap but runs ice cold when using walkman software.
Why am I not surprised.
🤣
It gets slightly warm while streaming Apple Music Lossless. But I blame mine on the weather in Singapore.

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,855 of 2,672
I noticed something I consider rather odd. I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this or can confirm or deny.

build a playlist, pick a song in the middle of the playlist. What's the next tune? I find it seems to be somewhat random, but often times track 2 (but not always). It then plays the list from that point on. I would have expected the playlist to continue after the song I picked originally. That's how it's done on nearly every other player I've owned.

I have seen this behavior elsewhere too. Just this morning while driving and using it via bluetooth, I picked a song in the middle of a multi-disc collection, and then instead of jumping to the next track, it seemed to pick something rather random. When I was at a light, I verified it wasn't on random, and if I used the players fast forward to the next track, it stayed in track order. However, using the car's next track on the steering wheel it picked something rather random. I find this quite bizarre because it really does seem random and not related to metadata about disc or song order.

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #1,857 of 2,672
lately i was trying many iems for best pairing with zx 707 . tried sony ier z1r, mdr 800st, senn ie900, final audio a4000, e5000, fiio fdx.

All of them had good pairing but final audio a4000 & e5000 makes music more enjoyable. if you are looking for a more budget oriented and fun sounding - a4000 tops it.

a4000 is more of fun sounding and energetic while e5000 is fun sounding and bit laid back.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,858 of 2,672
I can't just switch to another streaming service, because I have a very expensive NAIM Stack and Harbeth P3XD Speakers and I need Tidal for it! xD
Apple Music is sh.., because it is a closed eco system and I dont want to use Airplay! :D

I think I will just "optimize" my playlists and store everything on the internal storage. haha

EDIT: IMO, I think this is a Sony issue. Why is it working flawlessly with the ZX-507 DAP...
The 507 has a much much slower CPU than the 707 and handles the SD Card just fine!

And the 507 was at lunch also a "disaster", lots of bugs and so on.
707 still needs optimizations!

Apple Music is pretty open (incl SDK available for devs to implement it in their devices). And quality wise is the best.

What I did, because I wanted to try Tidal again (and I barely used it, but I still have it):
Subscribe to Tidal Argentina for $1.
Subscribe for Apple Music and use it as main on the walkman

I have AM/ Tidal but I still buy a lot of offline songs, so using walkman app 60% of time, AM 39% of time and Tidal 1% of time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back