SONY NW-ZX700
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,681 of 2,677
Yeah, they missed a few... NEX line of mirrorless are good enough, I've picked up a few.. Beta did hurt them, but Sony doesn't stay down long... They're good, and they know it.. They have other businesses (non consumer) that seem to be doing well too.
I had quite a bad experience with Alpha 7R II. The camera would randomly freeze (known problem). The sensor would get dirty easily because the lens mount was flimsy, a sandwich having plastic underneath a metal plate and only held together by four screws. Heavy zoom lenses would pull the metal plate off the plastic ring underneath leaving gaps for the dust (which would be sucked in by using the lens zoom) and, eventually, causing the lens to disconnect from the body and the camera throwing an error when trying to shoot something.

The mount fault was well known but denied by Sony. You could actually buy a third party lens mount replacement entirely made of aluminium.
Eventually, in generation III, they introduced a new stronger mount, held together by six screws.

Which is why I DON’T trust Sony engineers. The R series are their premium photography cameras, targeting professionals.

1682324813823.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,682 of 2,677
Listening the Lapsley's "Leap" on the ZX-707 over Mest Mk2's and the bass depth and texture is crazy. I can only assume the bone conduction is doing something, because this is a visceral experience. Sure, not as visceral as my KEF KC62 sub going full tilt but the most physical I have experienced in an IEM, possibly outgunning my headphones.

I've been burning both of these in for the past 3 days. I can't say which item changed over that time in isolation, but the audio coming out of the end of the chain is pretty remarkable.

The fact that it takes 2 seconds for the player to respond to a FF command is mildly annoying. That has not improved, even with the software tweaks. I have no other experience with Snapdragon 665's but if someone found out Sony undervolted and underclocked these, I would not be surprised. The iPhone and iPad chips are just that much better I guess.

Amazon Japan refunded me the money spent on the Musashino hybrid case. Ordered the Dignis leather one instead. The case that came with the Mest Mk2 is quite nice so I figured why not. I cannot 3d print and stamp leather to the same level of detail for the control buttons. The rest of the case seems easy enough to make.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,683 of 2,677
Amazing bass on the 707 here with my XBA-N3. Firmware update did good things as well, no complaints here..

It's all about synergy with your kit, which some on here seem not be able to get:)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,684 of 2,677
Listening the Lapsley's "Leap" on the ZX-707 over Mest Mk2's and the bass depth and texture is crazy. I can only assume the bone conduction is doing something, because this is a visceral experience. Sure, not as visceral as my KEF KC62 sub going full tilt but the most physical I have experienced in an IEM, possibly outgunning my headphones.

I've been burning both of these in for the past 3 days. I can't say which item changed over that time in isolation, but the audio coming out of the end of the chain is pretty remarkable.

The fact that it takes 2 seconds for the player to respond to a FF command is mildly annoying. That has not improved, even with the software tweaks. I have no other experience with Snapdragon 665's but if someone found out Sony undervolted and underclocked these, I would not be surprised. The iPhone and iPad chips are just that much better I guess.

Amazon Japan refunded me the money spent on the Musashino hybrid case. Ordered the Dignis leather one instead. The case that came with the Mest Mk2 is quite nice so I figured why not. I cannot 3d print and stamp leather to the same level of detail for the control buttons. The rest of the case seems easy enough to make.
I get amazing bass rumble and slam out of the Euclid if a track has it, when paired with ZX707. Euclid's tuning isn't supposed to have much rumble or have bass punch. I get better rumble and slam from my headphones when EQ'd with a bass shelf, but the Euclid and 707 has rumble and punch without EQ. Best part about the 707 with Euclid, it has quality bass along with all other frequencies being near-perfectly balanced, detailed, resolving, and clear with no distortion, bloating, or bleeding into each other.

I'm currently looking for a basshead IEM to pair with 707. Leaning towards FATfreq Maestro Mini.

As for lag, I only get it when using USB Audio Player Pro playing tracks through Tidal. That's because it's constantly syncing with Tidal. The SoC is snappy and fast in my experience, especially when you disable all of the bloat that comes with Android and optimize the OS. It's possible they underclocked the 665 like you suspect, since the 707 never gets hot or warm, even when it's been playing songs for hours straight.

It sucks to hear the Musashino case isn't up to your standards or liking. They looked pretty nice from the few pics they released. Glad I got the official case, even though the flap/cover is a little annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,685 of 2,677
McDonalds lost a court case and was ordered to pay $600k to a woman who drove off with one of their coffees between her legs... Well guess what, off popped the lid, and off to court we go..
They'll (lawyers) simply say the kids didn't know better. Btw; this is the reason for the cap...
A little history lesson:

It was nearly 3M, reduced to 800k and then appealed, not 600k.

The woman was in a parked car, not driving.

The coffee burnt nearly 10% of her skin down to the tissue within seconds. It was served to her at nearly 200 degrees. Most restaurants do not serve coffee above 150-160. Permanent disfigurement, years of disability, and near death were the result of this spilt coffee.

She offered to settle several times for the cost of medical bills and a few thousand on top for pain and suffering and McDonald's countered with an offer of eight hundred dollars and a vicious smear campaign. She deserved every cent she got. **** McDonald's, a garbage corporation through and through.

So for Sony to lose a similar court case, the volume of their DAPs would have to jump with little warning while you turn them on to something greater than an early 80s Metallica show. Something so high that the pain and hearing loss would be instantaneous and horrific.

What Sony is doing here is not dropping their max volume from the equivalent of a 200 degree cup of coffee to an industry standard and safer 150-60 degrees; they're opting to sell only iced and lukewarm coffee in certain markets, which is puzzling to say the least. I'm one of many that would love to try out these two new DAPs but won't because I'm in the US. Sure, I could order them from Japan, but the pain of returning the device if I don't like it is a big barrier. I gotta believe for a niche product like this, Sony is capping their potential sales by a pretty solid number.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,686 of 2,677
What Sony is doing here is not dropping their max volume from the equivalent of a 200 degree cup of coffee to an industry standard and safer 150-60 degrees; they're opting to sell only iced and lukewarm coffee in certain markets, which is puzzling to say the least. I'm one of many that would love to try out these two new DAPs but won't because I'm in the US. Sure, I could order them from Japan, but the pain of returning the device if I don't like it is a big barrier. I gotta believe for a niche product like this, Sony is capping their potential sales by a pretty solid number.
And they sell regular temp coffee... you just have to pay more. hahahahha!

Honestly though, with my local retail prices and taxes, it's much cheaper to have it imported. Even the Dignis case I ordered is US$150 + shipping to Canada. Amazon Japan is getting it to be for around US$115 shipped all in.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,687 of 2,677
A little history lesson:

It was nearly 3M, reduced to 800k and then appealed, not 600k.

The woman was in a parked car, not driving.

The coffee burnt nearly 10% of her skin down to the tissue within seconds. It was served to her at nearly 200 degrees. Most restaurants do not serve coffee above 150-160. Permanent disfigurement, years of disability, and near death were the result of this spilt coffee.

She offered to settle several times for the cost of medical bills and a few thousand on top for pain and suffering and McDonald's countered with an offer of eight hundred dollars and a vicious smear campaign. She deserved every cent she got. **** McDonald's, a garbage corporation through and through.

So for Sony to lose a similar court case, the volume of their DAPs would have to jump with little warning while you turn them on to something greater than an early 80s Metallica show. Something so high that the pain and hearing loss would be instantaneous and horrific.

Ok, so it looks like Mickey D's and Sony are on your Sh$& list.. The Vol cap is there for a reason, lawsuits... Otherwise Sony could care less how loud you turn it up...

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,688 of 2,677
Sony did also invent CDs, DAPs and In-Ear Headphones. And they were the first who used BAs that were designed for music instead of using Hearing Aid BAs.

As far as my research goes, they were also the first company who used the following materiels for Diaphragms

Polymer Film
Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP)
Aluminium Coated LCP (which should be the first metal coated diaphragm too)
Magnesium

Also their BAs are the only BAs using silver coated OFC for the voice coils and Magnesium Diaphragms.
To give the Dutch credit, Philips coined “the compact disc” term and started work, independently from Sony, in the late 70’s, based on earlier work by Russell and an Italian, forgot his name - Rabbiani? Rubbiani? I believe Philips marketed the first commercial laser player and, together with Sony, created the Red Book standard.

To this day some of Philips’ laser mechanisms (discontinued but stockpiled by certain companies and now offered at premium prices) continue to be used in some seriously high end players on the market. Their Pro 2 mechanisms are legendary and there is a good chance your aspirational 10-30K CD player has one inside.

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,689 of 2,677
Yes, but unfortunately I don't see where Philips made good use of the massive revenue... Sony has go in to cameras, media (Sony entertainment) and still super strong in audio.. Probably many other things I don't know about..
Maybe Philips invested heavily in semiconductor process. I've always like Philips... 👍

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,691 of 2,677
Yes, but unfortunately I don't see where Philips made good use of the massive revenue... Sony has go in to cameras, media (Sony entertainment) and still super strong in audio.. Probably many other things I don't know about..
Maybe Philips invested heavily in semiconductor process. I've always like Philips... 👍
They are big in medical equipment these days. Think CT, MRI scanners etc. It’s a business worth billions and they are doing very well so far.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,693 of 2,677
Sony did also invent CDs, DAPs and In-Ear Headphones. And they were the first who used BAs that were designed for music instead of using Hearing Aid BAs.

As far as my research goes, they were also the first company who used the following materiels for Diaphragms

Polymer Film
Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP)
Aluminium Coated LCP (which should be the first metal coated diaphragm too)
Magnesium

Also their BAs are the only BAs using silver coated OFC for the voice coils and Magnesium Diaphragms.
They even invented the 3.5 mm audio jack for god sake 😂.. an invention that still the most practical , valid and convenient, most used.. from 1979 till now !!
I love this company so much and have faith on them .. the thing is they have along with their history like periods of ups and downs .. some years they introduce marvelous and unique walkman models like : X series .. ZX 1 /2 and even ZX300 , Wm series .. even some older A & S series were awesome designs and usability ....and some times they has their so so models .. they aren't bad but just not on bar with their heritage just to fill the empty spaces .

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,695 of 2,677
They even invented the 3.5 mm audio jack for god sake 😂.. an invention that still the most practical , valid and convenient, most used.. from 1979 till now !!
I love this company so much and have faith on them .. the thing is they have along with their history like periods of ups and downs .. some years they introduce marvelous and unique walkman models like : X series .. ZX 1 /2 and even ZX300 , Wm series .. even some older A & S series were awesome designs and usability ....and some times they has their so so models .. they aren't bad but just not on bar with their heritage just to fill the empty spaces .
I have 2 of the X1050's.. love'em...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back