SONY NW-ZX700
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,636 of 2,677
No, not really. I asked what IEMs or headphones you are using with the ZX707 to be making your wild claims. You went off on more tangents that nobody cares about.

Also, I didn't personally attack you. I attacked your ridiculous claims about the ZX707.
“wild and ridiculous claims “ sounds offensive and, frankly, immature. I did not insult you. I expressed an opinion and I am open to dialogue. Again, discrediting a person contributes nothing to this thread. If you accept that this is a dialogue and people have the right to an opinion which doesn’t necessarily align with yours.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,637 of 2,677
And to answer your other question, I came to follow this thread researching this DAP and trying to find information about how to minimise lag, improve performance etc as I am a iOS user and I have minimal experience with Android. If I upset your sensibilities with “wild claims”, apologies. But on a positive there is a good chance you will not hear from me for another 9 years so enjoy your 707!

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,638 of 2,677
“wild and ridiculous claims “ sounds offensive and, frankly, immature. I did not insult you. I expressed an opinion and I am open to dialogue. Again, discrediting a person contributes nothing to this thread. If you accept that this is a dialogue and people have the right to an opinion which doesn’t necessarily align with yours.
Like I've said, everyone has their own opinions. You didn't just make opinions. You're making wild and ridiculous claims that is objectively wrong, which I have already talked about in my first response to you. You are crapping on the ZX707 over and over with those wild claims, which are patently incorrect.

I don't expect everyone to enjoy the ZX707. I like reading critiques about this DAPs. I have my own critiques too, and have mentioned them many times in this thread. Criticisms are perfectly fine, but they should be legitimate. You're just straight up hating on this DAP and using your false claims veiled as opinions to do it.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,639 of 2,677
While I am completely unqualified to comment on the 707 pre and post fw update I am qualified to post my own experience. The content of this thread convinced me to buy the 707. 4 days with it convinced me to sell it. The wild variance of opinion about the 707, am2, zm2 and the fact that sony sells different configs in different markets (Shanling, Hiby, AK, Lotoo and every other DAP maker sells the same hardware in all markets) has convinced me to just get off the Sony train ive been riding for just under a week.
I posted this in the AM2 / ZM2 thread this morning. And have now answered my own question. I must agree, from where i sit with both @nioh and @revenge
the bass on my unit is anemic. I dont know what it sounded like pre-FW but I know it was pretty lacklustre once i got over a very short honeymoon.

Thank you for all that is written in the pages that precede this post. I went through all 747 pages yesterday. I've been running with AK and Shanling devices the last decade with a momentary sojourn into the Lotoo Camp for a while. To date, irrespective of price, my favorite DAP has been the Shanling M6 Pro 21 but when the battery crapped out I started looking for another device. I almost repurchased the LP6K because of the battery life but I cant get away from my love of the Shanling sound. It's on the warmer side but doesnt compromise detail or resolution while giving me really good note weight yet all the air and sparkle I could want. Why am I sharing this? Because I'm looking for some advice / feedback and the context will be helpful.
last week I poured through the ZX707 thread and bought one - Japanese Uncapped - after my 24 hour infatuation with a new toy (it feels good in the hand and looks good to the eye and has tremendous battery life) but I really find the sound quite anemic. It's the first device in 5 years I NEED to EQ to enjoy what it's putting out.

So here's my quandary: Many say that sound of the 707 is similar to the AM2 others say the AM2 is a significant jump up from the 707. I'm just curious if there is anyone here who has spent enough time with both the 707 and 1AM2 to let me know the key differences aside from form factor. Yes, I could get an M6U or M7 or M9 but I really would like to get the Sony's battery life and something that at least approaches the musicality and note weight of the Shanling.
I'm just going to stick with what I've got - I'm happy there and this exercise has shown me that upgraditis is oftern futile.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,640 of 2,677
By the way, is anybody following Darko Audio? He has an interesting video review of the A306 on YouTube. I don’t know if links are allowed here but you can easily find his review. For those on the fence, interested in hearing opinions, it’s definitely worth a listen. It’s much better articulated than poorly translated Japanese video reviews and he makes some wild claims disguised as opinions! Keep in mind, he talks about 306 so assume that 707 is a step up in quality but much of the discussion applies to 707 as well.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,641 of 2,677
And to answer your other question, I came to follow this thread researching this DAP and trying to find information about how to minimise lag, improve performance etc as I am a iOS user and I have minimal experience with Android. If I upset your sensibilities with “wild claims”, apologies. But on a positive there is a good chance you will not hear from me for another 9 years so enjoy your 707!
If that was your true intensions, why not ask it before, instead of now? If you spent some time searching this thread or actually researching like you said, you would've found posts telling you how to improve the DAP's performance.

Here, I've done some of the legwork for you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-105#post-17512472

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,642 of 2,677
While I am completely unqualified to comment on the 707 pre and post fw update I am qualified to post my own experience. The content of this thread convinced me to buy the 707. 4 days with it convinced me to sell it. The wild variance of opinion about the 707, am2, zm2 and the fact that sony sells different configs in different markets (Shanling, Hiby, AK, Lotoo and every other DAP maker sells the same hardware in all markets) has convinced me to just get off the Sony train ive been riding for just under a week.
I posted this in the AM2 / ZM2 thread this morning. And have now answered my own question. I must agree, from where i sit with both @nioh and @revenge
the bass on my unit is anemic. I dont know what it sounded like pre-FW but I know it was pretty lacklustre once i got over a very short honeymoon.

I'm just going to stick with what I've got - I'm happy there and this exercise has shown me that upgraditis is oftern futile.

I am not sure if the hardware is different but you could be right. It would make no sense to have a 250mW amp and to limit it to 1.1mW on the EU / US market.

Apr 21, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,643 of 2,677
If that was your true intensions, why not ask it before, instead of now? If you spent some time searching this thread or actually researching like you said, you would've found posts telling you how to improve the DAP's performance.

Here, I've done some of the legwork for you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-105#post-17512472

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/
Thank you, appreciated! I will have a look.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,644 of 2,677

This is why I wish a prominent English-speaking audiophile reviewer would do an in-depth review of the uncapped ZX707, comparing several other mid-tier DAPs, DAC/amp combos, and using different tiers of IEMs and headphones in the review. Instead, Sony sent a few capped units to non-audiophile TechTubers so they could mock this thing.

I feel like I'm on drugs reading posts from the few people here who hate the ZX707 and have completely opposite experiences with the 707 than what I've experienced.

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,645 of 2,677
This is why I wish a prominent English-speaking audiophile reviewer would do an in-depth review of the uncapped ZX707, comparing several other mid-tier DAPs, DAC/amp combos, and using different tiers of IEMs and headphones in the review. Instead, Sony sent a few capped units to non-audiophile TechTubers so they could mock this thing.

I feel like I'm on drugs reading posts from the few people here who hate the ZX707 and have completely opposite experiences with the 707 than what I've experienced.
I think the sound signature has nothing to do with the output power. It would be relevant if you would use a planar or a high impedance pair of headphones but for IEMs it doesn't really make a difference, as long as you adjust the volume for the same output in dB.

It is not the low power that is responsible for this lean sound that I and several other users are hearing. The EU AM2 is capped at 1.1mW while the Japanese 707 delivers 35mW, yet the AM2 sounds much rounder / fuller.

Click, have you had the chance to compare your 707 to an AM2? You can always order it on Amazon and send it back if you think it's a waste of money! I am not asking you to believe my "wild and ridiculous" claims. But in order to make that judgement and refute them, you have to have both in hand and be able to compare them. Otherwise your are merely making assumptions. So have you had both in hand as I did? Do I have to show you the invoices to believe me?

Apr 21, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #1,646 of 2,677

https://darko.audio/2023/04/sony-nw-a306-video-review/

Again, this is the 306. But you can see where the 707 is coming from.

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,647 of 2,677
I think the sound signature has nothing to do with the output power. It would be relevant if you would use a planar or a high impedance pair of headphones but for IEMs it doesn't really make a difference, as long as you adjust the volume for the same output in dB.

It is not the low power that is responsible for this lean sound that I and several other users are hearing. The EU AM2 is capped at 1.1mW while the Japanese 707 delivers 35mW, yet the AM2 sounds much rounder / fuller.

Click, have you had the chance to compare your 707 to an AM2? You can always order it on Amazon and send it back if you think it's a waste of money! I am not asking you to believe my "wild and ridiculous" claims. But in order to make that judgement and refute them, you have to have both in hand and be able to compare them. Otherwise your are merely making assumptions. So have you had both in hand as I did? Do I have to show you the invoices to believe me?
Sound signature definitely changes as you change the volume and output power. I listen to the uncapped ZX707 on high gain at about 80-115 out of 120, depending on the IEM or headphone I'm using, what track I'm listening to, and what mood I'm in. If I go below 80, everything changes. Little to no bass, not resolving, details are not there, everything is bland, not engaging, not exciting.

Maybe this is why you hate your 707 so much. Maybe you're listening at low volume? Which is also why I asked what IEMs or headphones you're using, and you never answered.

It's why I've been saying in this thread that the capped version is not worth buying, especially at $900 USD. It's why I said Sony is dumb af nerfing the 707 in western countries and even some Asian countries.

I don't need to spend over $1,200 and buy a DAP I don't want, just so I can compare it for you. I already know the WM1AM2 has better sound quality than the ZX707, from a few of the users' comments here and elsewhere. Also on some foreign language reviews on YouTube. It should sound better, as it's twice the price of the 707.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-49#post-17401708

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-58#post-17411085

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-103#post-17508245

I know the difference between AM2 and 707 isn't close to as extreme as you've been claiming. They're not assumptions, as you've claimed. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone. You can show your proof you have both the uncapped AM2 or 707. Or not. I couldn't care less to be honest.

I bought the 707 for its smaller, lighter, more portable size. The good battery life. The newer, faster SoC. The newer, better Android version. The high build quality. And of course the cheaper price (imported from Japan) compared to other DAPs of this quality/tier. I'm very happy and satisfied with the sound quality of the 707 and don't feel the need to spend 2x the money to get maybe 20% increase in SQ at best, while sacrificing the other qualities I've listed.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #1,648 of 2,677
https://darko.audio/2023/04/sony-nw-a306-video-review/

Again, this is the 306. But you can see where the 707 is coming from.
I listen to Darko all the time while I am cooking. Not sure why he did a whole review and then mentions that a firmware update fixed a lot of his issues in the back third of the review. I don't think you can draw a straight line between the known and measured (by Head-Fi users no less) issue with a 10db drop in the bass shelf on the 306 to the currently unmeasured (with measurements showing no change) drop in bass in the 707.

Apparently the 10db bass drop was not on all 306 units either, so I still think (i) everyone here is being honest about their experiences and measurements (and throwing shade at each other is unproductive), and (ii) unit variance is most likely the culprit on differing opinions. Especially with respect to Sony, I trust their engineering more than their manufacturing quality control. Lemons happen, sometimes lemons happen more than they should. Software, especially built on Android, is a hot mess. So who knows what voodoo misalignment causes some players to go off spec.

Also, if Revenge is used to super high quality gear, and the ZX707 isn't appealing to him/her, that's perfectly fine too. It's a mid-tier DAP and while I think it's competitive in its price bracket (especially imported with a discount and weak FX for Yen), it's not end-game nor is it meant to take out the AM2 and ZM2. The more interesting question is if there is an alternative player at around the same price that is more satisfactory and if the trade-offs are worth it. I still want to try the M6 Ultra to see if their fuller sound is to my liking.

Right now though, this bulge on my Musashino hybrid case is bothering me more than the audio coming out of the player.......I don't think this case is worth considering. I e-mailed them already to see if I got a defect or if this is normal.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,649 of 2,677
I listen to Darko all the time while I am cooking. Not sure why he did a whole review and then mentions that a firmware update fixed a lot of his issues in the back third of the review. I don't think you can draw a straight line between the known and measured (by Head-Fi users no less) issue with a 10db drop in the bass shelf on the 306 to the currently unmeasured (with measurements showing no change) drop in bass in the 707.

Apparently the 10db bass drop was not on all 306 units either, so I still think (i) everyone here is being honest about their experiences and measurements (and throwing shade at each other is unproductive), and (ii) unit variance is most likely the culprit on differing opinions. Especially with respect to Sony, I trust their engineering more than their manufacturing quality control. Lemons happen, sometimes lemons happen more than they should. Software, especially built on Android, is a hot mess. So who knows what voodoo misalignment causes some players to go off spec.

Also, if Revenge is used to super high quality gear, and the ZX707 isn't appealing to him/her, that's perfectly fine too. It's a mid-tier DAP and while I think it's competitive in its price bracket (especially imported with a discount and weak FX for Yen), it's not end-game nor is it meant to take out the AM2 and ZM2. The more interesting question is if there is an alternative player at around the same price that is more satisfactory and if the trade-offs are worth it. I still want to try the M6 Ultra to see if their fuller sound is to my liking.

Right now though, this bulge on my Musashino hybrid case is bothering me more than the audio coming out of the player.......I don't think this case is worth considering. I e-mailed them already to see if I got a defect or if this is normal.
I am curious. Any of you use Apple Music? Play anything, put the song in full screen mode. Then use the volume buttons. Do you get artefacts on the screen when you use the volume buttons?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,650 of 2,677
Sound signature definitely changes as you change the volume and output power. I listen to the uncapped ZX707 on high gain at about 80-115 out of 120, depending on the IEM or headphone I'm using, what track I'm listening to, and what mood I'm in. If I go below 80, everything changes. Little to no bass, not resolving, details are not there, everything is bland, not engaging, not exciting.

Maybe this is why you hate your 707 so much. Maybe you're listening at low volume? Which is also why I asked what IEMs or headphones you're using, and you never answered.

It's why I've been saying in this thread that the capped version is not worth buying, especially at $900 USD. It's why I said Sony is dumb af nerfing the 707 in western countries and even some Asian countries.

I don't need to spend over $1,200 and buy a DAP I don't want, just so I can compare it for you. I already know the WM1AM2 has better sound quality than the ZX707, from a few of the users' comments here and elsewhere. Also on some foreign language reviews on YouTube. It should sound better, as it's twice the price of the 707.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-49#post-17401708

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-58#post-17411085

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx700.966466/page-103#post-17508245

I know the difference between AM2 and 707 isn't close to as extreme as you've been claiming. They're not assumptions, as you've claimed. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone. You can show your proof you have both the uncapped AM2 or 707. Or not. I couldn't care less to be honest.

I bought the 707 for its smaller, lighter, more portable size. The good battery life. The newer, faster SoC. The newer, better Android version. The high build quality. And of course the cheaper price (imported from Japan) compared to other DAPs of this quality/tier. I'm very happy and satisfied with the sound quality of the 707 and don't feel the need to spend 2x the money to get maybe 20% increase in SQ at best, while sacrificing the other qualities I've listed.

Mate, I have already told you three times: JH 13 Pro.
https://jhaudio.com/iem?group=custom

Also the AKG K872 (not necessarily a massive fan of the sound but it’s a AKG nostalgia from back in the day which you probably wouldn’t understand but some people here might) and Sennheiser HD800S because it’s a decent headphone for the money which is pretty tame in terms of sound signature and also lightweight (hate the 600g woody cans these days, big clamping pressure etc).

I listen mostly at low/average volume with headphones because my ears are quite sensitive.

People like yourself are strongly opinionated about things they simply have not experienced. I accept that you like the 707 but would you still like it if you would have the chance to play with a AM2? And do you think that you are in a position to advise people like myself to buy a 707 or dissuade them from buying a AM2 based on what you read on the internet?

I came here looking for ways to improve the midling performance of this DAP but I wrote the above opinion because some users have specifically asked that question: is there a big difference between AM2 and 707? And I happen to have an answer for them based on MY experience. Can you say the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back