SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 31, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #1,426 of 2,750
@laegoiste It depends what you listen to. If you primarily listen to piano, you'll realize how screwed up transient attacks are. the piano attack is blunt, and the resonance is messed up. I can listen to my iphone with a dongle, and it sounds more correct than the zx707, what's the point of paying for this dap. Everything sounds blunted, subbass is gone. They tried to make the piano do this weird 3d sound to make it sound good, but it just sounds completely off. Just listen to the same track on another source, and then the sony, and just realize...how off it sounds tonally. They should fire whoever made this firmware adjustment and put "General performance improvements".

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,428 of 2,750
@laegoiste It depends what you listen to. If you primarily listen to piano, you'll realize how screwed up transient attacks are. the piano attack is blunt, and the resonance is messed up. I can listen to my iphone with a dongle, and it sounds more correct than the zx707, what's the point of paying for this dap. Everything sounds blunted, subbass is gone. They tried to make the piano do this weird 3d sound to make it sound good, but it just sounds completely off. Just listen to the same track on another source, and then the sony, and just realize...how off it sounds tonally. They should fire whoever made this firmware adjustment and put "General performance improvements".
I see. I do have some piano specific tracks from Einaudi. Do you have any specific tracks that I can try out? I'll try to do a comparison at some point.
On another note, how about those of you that are experiencing a problem start a post on Sony support? I believe that's how the A306 users got a fix.

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #1,429 of 2,750
I see. I do have some piano specific tracks from Einaudi. Do you have any specific tracks that I can try out? I'll try to do a comparison at some point.
On another note, how about those of you that are experiencing a problem start a post on Sony support? I believe that's how the A306 users got a fix.
I already contacted Sony support yesterday !
Not being able to revert to an older firmware, lesson learnt to be careful in buying a Sony DAP in the future or updating the firmware. This is one good thing about chi-fi DAPs, easier to revert if the sound signature changes and you don’t like it. Over at the Dx320 forum I know people who still stick to the original firmware while some prefer an intermediate version and others use the latest one !

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,430 of 2,750
A lot of users reporting issues after the firmware upgrade are using streaming services. Do you hear those as well in the stock music app?

I don’t use any of these services so I cannot comment but both the stock app and DAC mode seem unaltered to me.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,431 of 2,750
A lot of users reporting issues after the firmware upgrade are using streaming services. Do you hear those as well in the stock music app?

I don’t use any of these services so I cannot comment but both the stock app and DAC mode seem unaltered to me.
I'm using Apple music with my entire playlists downloaded, not sure if that makes a difference.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #1,432 of 2,750

If you are happy the way it sounds to you, just leave it at that and be happy. Just because you don’t hear any difference, it doesn’t mean others don’t. There are several variables here - source, headphones, genre of music, hearing etc.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,434 of 2,750
Does anyone remember the exact build number before the update ?
It's under Settings->About and scroll all the way down.
20230401_142550.jpg

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #1,436 of 2,750
If you are happy the way it sounds to you, just leave it at that and be happy. Just because you don’t hear any difference, it doesn’t mean others don’t. There are several variables here - source, headphones, genre of music, hearing etc.
There are a lot of people that hear and difference when knowing which firmware, that is true.

But no one is able to tell firmware Versions apart in blind Test.

Also playing songs and recording them with different firmware Versions also always results into the exact same result.

So it is absolutely safe to assume that there is no change with the firmware update.

As long people don't proof that there is an difference, there is none.

Just because you are able to hear one doesn't mean there is one.

People on head-fi hear the differences between cables, in which region the player was bought, which firmware they use, what time and date we have, the arrangement of the planets and the religious beliefs of the listener and so on.

The are even people here who think that High-Gain sounds better than low gain and then listen at 040/120 on high gain to their In-Ear

There is a reason why people make fun of head-fi, but please keep in mind

Either proof what you say, or a accept that people won't believe you. But don't complain that others don't believe such statements on an forum where people talk most of the time about Voodoo and Magic

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,437 of 2,750
I did the update yesterday and can't tell any real difference from before and after. Anyone else have issues after the update?
Did the update today and no difference noted.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #1,438 of 2,750
There are a lot of people that hear and difference when knowing which firmware, that is true.

But no one is able to tell firmware Versions apart in blind Test.

Also playing songs and recording them with different firmware Versions also always results into the exact same result.

So it is absolutely safe to assume that there is no change with the firmware update.

As long people don't proof that there is an difference, there is none.

Just because you are able to hear one doesn't mean there is one.

People on head-fi hear the differences between cables, in which region the player was bought, which firmware they use, what time and date we have, the arrangement of the planets and the religious beliefs of the listener and so on.

The are even people here who think that High-Gain sounds better than low gain and then listen at 040/120 on high gain to their In-Ear

There is a reason why people make fun of head-fi, but please keep in mind

Either proof what you say, or a accept that people won't believe you. But don't complain that others don't believe such statements on an forum where people talk most of the time about Voodoo and Magic
I don't need to prove anything to you nor to anyone else here.
We all have our opinions and this is a discussion forum. I hear a difference, you don't ? Sure !

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,439 of 2,750
I don't need to prove anything to you nor to anyone else here.
We all have our opinions and this is a discussion forum. I hear a difference, you don't ? Sure !
I also hear a difference, as most of the IEMs I owned are bass heavy. If anyone who has such type of IEMs/headphones, he/she should hear the difference. I think the difference can be heard on bass heavy IEMs/headphones is because the characteristics of them is the pronounced and emphasised sub-bass part and now the deep punchy, groovy texture of the bass of the ZX707 is tamed quite a lot. Through all the IEMs that I have tested listening after the firmware update, the punch is still there but definitely the wonderful texture and quality of bass that came with the previous firmware ver. 1.00.12, is gone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back