SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,383 of 2,742
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,385 of 2,742
Your current iems.
Right, I am not sure. I could end up giving the Kato to my girlfriend should she decide she wants an audio upgrade. I got it cheap enough that I could just keep it for reference purposes. Anyway, the upgrade is a long time away. My wallet has been dented enough with the DAP purchase :)

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #1,386 of 2,742
If you like the N3 avoid Variations like the plague. Mine is collecting dust. It has noticeable coherency issues and an extremely thin note weight.
I don't have the N3 of the Kato but I agree regarding the Variations having thin note weight. I love the sub-bass, it's enveloping and provide a solid foundation for the music....except they built a sand castle on such a solid foundation. What appears like clarity and cleanliness comes at the cost of sucked out mids. Especially on male vocals and distorted guitars. They all sound thinner and higher pitched than they should be. I am hoping to try the Mest MK2 next.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,387 of 2,742
What appears like clarity and cleanliness comes at the cost of sucked out mids
It's all fake. It absolutely kills bass guitar, guitar and double bass. My favourite instruments are ruined.
I mean, it's fun for some modern "artificial" music or even movies, but the subwoofer effect gets old quick.
Variations taught me that should I ever listen to reviewers, I need to pay more attention at what kind of music they listen to. It's definitely not for jazz / metal folks :)

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,388 of 2,742
Are you using the IER-M7 with foam
If you mean me, I did switch to foams some days ago.

I was initially using the Radius Deep Mount, which are my favourite silicone tips, but while I had no pressure issues (I actually love the feeling and not having to adjust the tip every 20 minutes), I felt that the bass response was lacking. Switching to foams did the trick and now they're slamming like crazy. I guess the pressure was messing with the sound somehow.

I have Comply and INAIRS around. Both smoothen the response significantly as expected. The latter isolate and fit better, and eat a bit of the air (10kHz) region, whereas Comply affect the treble more giving it a more coloured sound signature. Not a fan of these.

The only problem now that I switched to foams is that while the bass improved, I feel I should have gone for the M9 instead for extra bite in the higher frequencies.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,389 of 2,742
Right, I am not sure. I could end up giving the Kato to my girlfriend should she decide she wants an audio upgrade. I got it cheap enough that I could just keep it for reference purposes. Anyway, the upgrade is a long time away. My wallet has been dented enough with the DAP purchase :)
Well, since you are interested in the dunu sa6, you can wait for the release of the new version (mk2) during this year.

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,391 of 2,742
So, after listening to the ZX707 and trying different IEM's, I discovered why some people swear by Sony DAP's + Andromeda. I almost sold my Andromeda S, I just found it sounded thin and couldn't get enough bass to my liking on the AK320. Eventually moved to the Variations to get my bass fix. But on the ZX707, the Andro S really came to life. Sounds full, excellent bass texture. Compared to the Variations on the ZX707, the midrange is much fuller and more realistic. In a world of upgraditis, I am glad I didn't manage to sell these.
Oh no! You got me wanting to upgrade now!
Recently got Andromedas (Pre 2020) and unfortunately my Hiby R5 Saber doesn't have a good enough sound floor so I'm hearing a slight hiss throughout "silent" parts of tracks.
Definitely going to demo the ZX707 to see how it deals with sensitive IEMs.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #1,392 of 2,742
Don't update your zx707....they gimped the sound quality. If anyone knows how to get a rollback done, I would be very happy. They made the blackground grey, killed the bass response even more, and killed the mids while making them sound muffled. Also slowed down the overall sound so it doesn't have the air anymore. What IS SONY DOING?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,393 of 2,742
Don't update your zx707....they gimped the sound quality. If anyone knows how to get a rollback done, I would be very happy. They made the blackground grey, killed the bass response even more, and killed the mids while making them sound muffled. Also slowed down the overall sound so it doesn't have the air anymore. What IS SONY DOING?
OMG! I am too late to see your post as I just finished the update on my ZX707. Hmmmm... let me listen and verify...

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,395 of 2,742
I did the update yesterday and can't tell any real difference from before and after. Anyone else have issues after the update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back