SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #721 of 2,824
So far I am undoubtedly, extremely happy I returned my WM1AM2 and imported this from Japan instead.
Quick side note: the “media Volume” setting, found under “sound settings” affects the “overall volume” and comes set at 50%. The volume switches do not adjust THAT volume setting - if left at default, it will sound thinner and underwhelming!!

A few key points:

1. Far better battery life when streaming so far
2. Way more ergonomic than I anticipated compared to wm1am2 - way more pocket friendly and more enjoyable to handle.
3. I find this screen to be better looking
4. Android 12 is so much prettier
5. The shown ram is HIGHER in developer setting. Go figure this has more ram than it’s “big brother”
6. The OS is SO MUCH swifter and more responsive, by an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE. This new DAP is Smooth and responsive and compatible to my R62020. My previous wm1am2 was sluggish compared to the r6.
7. Last but not least, I prefer the sound to this over my hiby and I can say as a matter of fact I did NOT prefer the sound of the w1am2 to my hiby.

Overall doesn’t seem to be a model below, but rather one to replace the w1am2 from my perspective and use case. I don’t have it next to me to compare directly, but I used it extensively for the near 4 weeks I had it and judged it inferior to my R6 for price to performance. I returned it in favor of keeping my R6 - something I did not expect at the time of purchase.

However with this new, more attractive, longer running, smaller footprint, snappier and better looking OS I believe I’ll be selling my r6 2020. I’m very glad I returned the w1am2 at this point and gave this Japanese import a shot.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #722 of 2,824
Got it, and thanks for the info! Would Japan sellers on Ebay be trustworthy, shipping to the USA?
That would highly depend on the seller. Be wary and take note that eBay tends to side with sellers rather than buyers. Therefore, I am sure most of us in this thread would recommend from someone more established like Tenso and Buyee. Feel free to ask around if you need more info.
For imported units, I am assuming the warranty is only valid and Japan and that if the unit croaks, we are out of luck outside Japan?
Contact your local Sony service centre. It will be treated as an out of warranty repair/service request.

That is at least how Sony Singapore treats it.

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #723 of 2,824
So far I am undoubtedly, extremely happy I returned my WM1AM2 and imported this from Japan instead.
Quick side note: the “media Volume” setting, found under “sound settings” affects the “overall volume” and comes set at 50%. The volume switches do not adjust THAT volume setting - if left at default, it will sound thinner and underwhelming!!

A few key points:

2. Way more ergonomic than I anticipated compared to wm1am2 - way more pocket friendly and more enjoyable to handle.
5. The shown ram is HIGHER in developer setting. Go figure this has more ram than it’s “big brother”
6. The OS is SO MUCH swifter and more responsive, by an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE. This new DAP is Smooth and responsive and compatible to my R62020. My previous wm1am2 was sluggish compared to the r6.
7. Last but not least, I prefer the sound to this over my hiby and I can say as a matter of fact I did NOT prefer the sound of the w1am2 to my hiby.

Overall doesn’t seem to be a model below, but rather one to replace the w1am2 from my perspective and use case. I don’t have it next to me to compare directly, but I used it extensively for the near 4 weeks I had it and judged it inferior to my R6 for price to performance. I returned it in favor of keeping my R6 - something I did not expect at the time of purchase.

However with this new, more attractive, longer running, smaller footprint, snappier and better looking OS I believe I’ll be selling my r6 2020. I’m very glad I returned the w1am2 at this point and gave this Japanese import a shot.
Did you have the Japanese AM2? Did you try debloating android on the AM2?

Also can you give us sound impressions for AM2 vs ZX707? I'm trying to decide which one to buy

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #724 of 2,824
I returned the North American model via Amazon and purchased the Japan model through 365-Shop-Japan via eBay. Arrived today and sharing some thoughts after working through settings.

I had concerns about volume levels even with High Gain switched on using the balanced 4.4mm port. At 120 it was loud(ish) but when compared to my Z Flip4 with Fiio KA3 it was woefully lacking. I can barely get to halfway with the KA3 without blowing my eardrums out.

1.) Without question this is #1 important. As EpictAurelius said, go into settings, sound and max out media volume (it's set to 50% by default). Then use the device's side +/- buttons to adjust playback volume. This is HUGE and now at 50 my IEM's are bumpin!

2.) Don't forget to enable High-Res Streaming in the same Sound screen. It requires a restart once enabled.

3.) Sony's built-in Equalizer App, using DIRECT mode does slightly reduce volume. If you turn it off and tweak the Equalizer to your liking, you'll hear the volume levels bump back up a bit.

All this was through Tidal. Can't emphasize enough #1 above the adjusting the media volume to max. A little weird how media volume and volume are separate when it comes to the side buttons but once this adjustment is made, your headphones will sing beautifully. It reminds me of old school Bluetooth in cars where you had to max out your phone's volume then adjust the car volume. This is the same concept.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #726 of 2,824
Did you have the Japanese AM2? Did you try debloating android on the AM2?

Also can you give us sound impressions for AM2 vs ZX707? I'm trying to decide which one to buy
It was American (Uncapped). I disabled ALL apps that were non essential and trimmed ALL the bloat. I had even turned off window animations in hope of fighting off the sluggishness of the system - as well as numerous other “hacks”.

The battery was trash and just died in real time. The “green” just slid out of the battery indicator - even when playing from sd card where those files never even Exceed ALAC 24bit/48khz quality. So had they been “higher” in “quality” the battery would have drained even faster.

I played my Zx707 for near 7 hours last night with non stop streaming high quality through Apple Music, plenty of screen time on mostly high gain setting and had over 40% battery left before I put it on charger! My AM2 could NOT have done that.

I would not go back to the AM2. I don’t see any advantage it has over this in any real world and practical sense. This is simply a “better” DAP imo.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #727 of 2,824
It was American (Uncapped). I disabled ALL apps that were non essential and trimmed ALL the bloat. I had even turned off window animations in hope of fighting off the sluggishness of the system - as well as numerous other “hacks”.

The battery was trash and just died in real time. The “green” just slid out of the battery indicator - even when playing from sd card where those files never even Exceed ALAC 24bit/48khz quality. So had they been “higher” in “quality” the battery would have drained even faster.

I played my Zx707 for near 7 hours last night with non stop streaming high quality through Apple Music, plenty of screen time on mostly high gain setting and had over 40% battery left before I put it on charger! My AM2 could NOT have done that.

I would not go back to the AM2. I don’t see any advantage it has over this in any real world and practical sense. This is simply a “better” DAP imo.
Ok so from a practicality perspective it's seems like the ZX707 is miles ahead. Do you remember a noticeable difference in sound quality between the AM2 and ZX707?

Edging towards 707. The cost is just much more palatable.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #728 of 2,824

A few key points:

wow, 707 better and cheaper than 1am2 ... sony have a problem now

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #729 of 2,824
wow, 707 better and cheaper than 1am2 ... sony have a problem now
Having both, I cant agree here that 707 would be a better DAP then 1AM2. My subjective impression is a way better look & feel (OS wise and grip wise) where 707 wins. But the soundstage is two steps higher with 1AM2, but again, as of subjective point of view. My impression is that it sounds richer then 707. I would rather put AM2 close to WM1Z, as to 707. If somenone wants a good PORTABLE DAP, where all mentioned subjects matter, then 707 is a way to go.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #730 of 2,824

A few key points:

Personal taste and preferences aside, no manufacturer would release a newer product to cannibalize another a recently launched new product, this just doesn't make sense. And this is Sony that has so much corporate and market experiences! I'm pretty sure that the 1AM2 sonic / technical / engineering / quality specs must be higher than that of 707. As to personal choice well at the end of the day its a personal choice that differs among consumers ..

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #731 of 2,824
Personal taste and preferences aside, no manufacturer would release a newer product to cannibalize another a recently launched new product, this just doesn't make sense. And this is Sony that has so much corporate and market experiences! I'm pretty sure that the 1AM2 sonic / technical / engineering / quality specs must be higher than that of 707. As to personal choice well at the end of the day its a personal choice that differs among consumers ..

I made no objective claims that the predecesor is inferior to the newly released dap on the basis of sound quality - I did so however, on the basis of ergonomics, user interface responsiveness, and battery life when comparing similar usage styles. And Nor did I assert that Sony has made another iteration of the same family line obsolete from any objective sense. This is not my claim. I said, “for my personal use case and perspective” (of what makes a great portable DAP), I prefer this newer model - and especially taking into considering the cost savings and from that, I do not feel this is a “downgrade” in any sense, but rather a lateral transition at worst and a clearly vertical translation at best - all depending on what we are comparing and from what context of value one has.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #732 of 2,824
Having both, I cant agree here that 707 would be a better DAP then 1AM2. My subjective impression is a way better look & feel (OS wise and grip wise) where 707 wins. But the soundstage is two steps higher with 1AM2, but again, as of subjective point of view. My impression is that it sounds richer than 707. I would rather put AM2 close to WM1Z, as to 707. If somenone wants a good PORTABLE DAP, where all mentioned subjects matter, then 707 is a way to go.
As I said, I do not have my wm1 to compare directly to. So I stayed away from direct auditory comparisons and to more readily apparent easily Recalled features such as battery life and ergonomics.

I’m assuming your 707 is newer than your am2 yes? If so; Do you suspect that part of the difference you experience might relate to the difference in accumulated hours of use (burn in?) as supposedly those capacitors benefit from accumulated exposure to an active and strong current - I assume, based on the suggestion by Sony to Have a moderately high volume played through both ports for 200+ hours before reaching peak sonic performance - I believe it was?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #733 of 2,824
I owned WM1A
And i just bought WM1AM2 last week
While im at the store i did try the 707 i was actually planning to get 707 to complement my WM1A, not the Wm1Am2.

But after listening and testing it for few hours, i ended up getting the WM1AM2

Dont get me wrong
The 707 does sound nice
And also the os fluidness is much better than rhe Wm1Am2
BUT
Paired with my Ier Z1R , the 707 just can’t match the detail clarity, sound stage and punchineness of the WM1AM2.

Sound wise I’ll put it like this
707<wma1<Wma1a2

But the differences between the Wm1A and 707 is far greater than the Wm1A vs Wm1Am2 .

Wm1Am2 just more powerful
Cleaner
And more dynamic.

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #734 of 2,824
A week in with the DAP. Sony has nailed it ! A real portable, stylish DAP with excellent battery life and performance in this era of bulky DAPs.

High-Res streaming on, Wi-Fi on, apps etc. factory installed (meaning no de-bloating). I just disabled some apps which I don’t need, like the Japanese music purchase app.
Apple Music - 9.5 hours
Screen time - 4.5 hours
Battery left - 55%

Performance is very close to that of Snapdragon 660 (comparing to my iBasso DX320). Smooth and snappy enough for a DAP. UI is really cool with the Analog volume dial interface, full dark mode option throughout the OS (even the keyboard is dark. On my DX320 some menus and keyboard are still white in dark mode). The buttons on the side are easy to use even in dark. Volume Up and Play buttons have an etched dot which you can easily make out when placing your finger on them. Rest is just muscle memory. I have a 1TB Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD in it and it works fine.

I’m quite happy with the soundstage and imaging (still haven’t burned in 200 hours yet). Sound is clear and crisp. It has a slightly warmer and musical signature, typical Sony style but still with excellent details throughout. The DAP has a fast decay compared to the DX320‘s slow decay. Definitely pairs well with Sony headphones. I have the MDR-Z1R. Plenty of volume already in low gain, never reached the cap yet and never used High gain so far. Also the DAP remains cool even during longer sessions, never gets warm !

On the DX320 I get some cracks sometimes while playing, especially at the beginning of a track when Bitrate changes. It also skips a bit at the beginning of tracks. On the Zx707 no such issues. All songs so far play pretty smooth and the Crossfade between tracks works seamlessly.

The genuine leather case is a bit bulky but has a snug fit and it’s hard so offers good protection also on the move since it covers also the front. I also have a screen protector on.

I also love how the headphone connectors are on the top of the DAP. It’s more convenient to hold it this way while changing tracks etc. in the UI.

Overall this one’s a keeper !

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #735 of 2,824
I owned WM1A
And i just bought WM1AM2 last week
While im at the store i did try the 707 i was actually planning to get 707 to complement my WM1A, not the Wm1Am2.

But after listening and testing it for few hours, i ended up getting the WM1AM2

Dont get me wrong
The 707 does sound nice
And also the os fluidness is much better than rhe Wm1Am2
BUT
Paired with my Ier Z1R , the 707 just can’t match the detail clarity, sound stage and punchineness of the WM1AM2.

Sound wise I’ll put it like this
707<wma1<Wma1a2

But the differences between the Wm1A and 707 is far greater than the Wm1A vs Wm1Am2 .

Wm1Am2 just more powerful
Cleaner
And more dynamic.
Zx707 is pretty new. Could it be that the store unit was not fully burned-in yet ? I have not heard the 1AM2 but I’ve heard from others who have it that the Zx707 is quite on par after the suggested 200 hours. Heck I compared it with my DX320 which is a beast and the Sony sounds pretty good to my ears !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back