SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #8,386 of 8,642
You able to get 20 hours out of your ZX-507? What kind of voodoo magic did you do to it? Lol in the best conditions I only ever got about 7 hours or so with my old one, that’s why I switched to the ZX-707.
7 hours? Wow...

I easily got 15+ hours from mine. As I never went to 0% and charged it before, I don't know for sure. But a 13h flight was easily possible

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #8,387 of 8,642
7 hours? Wow...

I easily got 15+ hours from mine. As I never went to 0% and charged it before, I don't know for sure. But a 13h flight was easily possible
Yep, it was a used one I bought from eBay, which led me to believe that perhaps the previous owner was a heavy user and the battery needed to be replaced, That’s why when I saw they announced the ZX-707 I jumped on it.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #8,388 of 8,642
Yep, it was anused one I bought from eBay, which led me to believe that perhaps the previous owner was a heavy user and the battery needed to be replaced, That’s why when I saw they announced the ZX-707 I jumped on it.
Which is the better DAP in all areas anyway, so good choice.

Maybe he left it discharged for a long time or kept it constantly at 100%.

There is nothing that damages a battery more than than being below 20 or above 90 for a long period of time

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #8,389 of 8,642
You able to get 20 hours out of your ZX-507? What kind of voodoo magic did you do to it? Lol in the best conditions I only ever got about 7 hours or so with my old one, that’s why I switched to the ZX-707.

I also still get more or less 20 hours after all these years (I seldom let it run flat so let's say around 15-16 hours with 1X% left), IF I PLAY DIRECT. With DSEE on its' just short of half that.

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #8,390 of 8,642
Much better battery life. Almost three times as long in terms of battery life. I am getting almost 20 hours with the ZX707 and only around 6 to 7 hours on the ZX507. Also agree that DSD mastering is so so nice. I love it.
what is DSD mastering ?
does dac mode have a time lag when used with windows pc?

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #8,391 of 8,642
Thanks for the reply, I never stream music, so I should be good, I always visit Japan, so I can change a new battery is no problem, I still have the ZX2 and i'm on my 2 nd battery, I also have the ZX300, battery is running low on charges, so i probably have to change that battery too.
If you never stream, so why dont get WM1A, its the best in every aspects. Battery of Zx507 is really suck, drain too fast and hot like fire, I sold in just 2 weeks. Buy zx707 inst zx 507, please.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #8,392 of 8,642
I'll take that in to consideration about the battery, I do have the zx2 to now, and the ZX300, and the battery is consider good, I don't see how the ZX507 is worst, consider it's newer, the only thing I don't like about the ZX707 is the boxy shape and the size.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #8,393 of 8,642
what is DSD mastering ?
does dac mode have a time lag when used with windows pc?
There is a lag of about 350ms

But there is an USB DAC Driver on the Walkman that can be installed

https://www.sony.jp/support/walkman/download/driver_usbdac/

That is supposed to change that, but not tested yet

DSD Remastering is Marketing nonsense you don't need it

//Edit: The driver doesn't help at all

1679923537808.png

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #8,394 of 8,642
I'll take that in to consideration about the battery, I do have the zx2 to now, and the ZX300, and the battery is consider good, I don't see how the ZX507 is worst, consider it's newer, the only thing I don't like about the ZX707 is the boxy shape and the size.
You touch zx707 and see its cooler thousand times :), size same as wm1a, its wm1a that can stream. Everything is better than zx507 for sure.
1939C715-5841-4403-8136-CE9BAFDB1DD6.jpeg

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #8,395 of 8,642
Can anyone describe the sound differences between zx507 and zx707. Travelling to Japan next week and wondering if I should pick this up. The power output is the same I think and you still can’t drive full sized cans.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #8,396 of 8,642
Can anyone describe the sound differences between zx507 and zx707. Travelling to Japan next week and wondering if I should pick this up. The power output is the same I think and you still can’t drive full sized cans.
I’ve never been very good at describing differences but I’ll give it a shot, to me an untrained amateur with bad hearing, the ZX507 vs the ZX707 was a no brainer, if I could use just one word I would choose richer, the sound coming from the ZX707 feels richer and fuller than the ZX507 to me. Since you will be in Japan is very likely you will find demo units of both devices in Akihabara if I were you try both of them out and see which one works best for you.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #8,397 of 8,642

The ZX507 sounds more neutral with better layering and ddetail rendering, with more accurate timber and positional cues. ZX707 sounds fuller and richer, a tad thick and overly warm at times but gives stronger dynamic range and greater punch.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #8,399 of 8,642
I ended up keeping the zx507 despite being very critical of it. The battery was very poor and the processor and resulting lag was unacceptable for a device which costs so much.

What I struggled with the most was the power output even for iems - which I see is the same on the zx707. Yes it will go plenty loud but I never found it all that dynamic. It was simultaneously warm and punchy in the mid bass but not that deep, the mids were spacious and clean and had a special ‘Sony’ quality which was prob the highlight but the high end was etched and lacked finesse or control. I hope the zx707 resolves these issues.

Ultimately my expectations are lower now because I’ve realised that Sony purposefully holds back it ZX lineup in favour for it flagship devices rather than making the best possible device in this form factor.

A word of warning for people within the EU... if you buy zx707 make sure it isn’t capped. There won’t be any way to uncap it and you’l most likely regret it.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #8,400 of 8,642
I ended up keeping the zx507 despite being very critical of it. The battery was very poor and the processor and resulting lag was unacceptable for a device which costs so much.

What I struggled with the most was the power output even for iems - which I see is the same on the zx707. Yes it will go plenty loud but I never found it all that dynamic. It was simultaneously warm and punchy in the mid bass but not that deep, the mids were spacious and clean and had a special ‘Sony’ quality which was prob the highlight but the high end was etched and lacked finesse or control. I hope the zx707 resolves these issues.
The ZX700 uses, as the ZX500, an Digital Amp. So you have to excpect an very similar sound signature. If you don't like the sound of digital amps, i would not recommend buying the ZX700
Ultimately my expectations are lower now because I’ve realised that Sony purposefully holds back it ZX lineup in favour for it flagship devices rather than making the best possible device in this form factor.
I would not say they hold back the ZX line. It just makes no sense to create an ZX707 that costs as much as an WM1AM2 and sounds the same. They are the same device then.

The only reason the ZX Series exists is to have an chaper alternative to the WM1 series. And, of course, if you make it cheaper, you can't make it the same. But i would not say they intentionally hold back. They do the best they can given the curcumstances.
A word of warning for people within the EU... if you buy zx707 make sure it isn’t capped. There won’t be any way to uncap it and you’l most likely regret it.
Afair the ZX700 Series isn't sold in the EU. At least it is not sold in most countries i checked (including germany)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back