SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #6,994 of 8,642
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,997 of 8,642
The new firmware seems to place more emphasis on the pronunciation of S by female singers. The syllable S now has more sharpness in it's peak transient and more decay than before. I think it is a nice calibration by Sony to make things sound more accurate and life like.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #6,998 of 8,642
I felt that DSEE Ultimate now sounds alot more smoother and refined than before, there used to be hints of edginess/artificial treble glare/noise that can pop up from time to time in certain recordings. Especially with string instruments, it is now even more silky smooth like with more airy feel. Blackness of the background and sound stage depth also seems improved. I think Sony's AI is sounding better as the update progresses.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #6,999 of 8,642
100% perfect! I wish Android would release a vanilla Android experience which would be perfect for things like DAPs. We probably utilise about 10% of what is loaded onto the operating system in a DAP. Battery drain and resources getting eaten by things other than what is needed from a DAP.

Sony really do some amazing things, and then there is the rest of Sony.......and that is me currently listening to his IER-Z1R (former) with ZX507 (latter).
I'm about to take delivery of the Z1R. Would you recommend the ZX507 to power it? What's been your experience with the combination?

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #7,000 of 8,642
Hi. Fortunately i'm very lucky to be working in a shopping centre where there is a Sony store. They do centre staff discounts (insane right?) and it seems like these "centre partner discounts" are very generous. 40% off the ZX-507 at $999AUD.
I got a sweet deal on the IER-Z1R as well.
What's been your experience been like with the ZX-507/IER-Z1R combination? Would you recommend?

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #7,001 of 8,642
What's been your experience been like with the ZX-507/IER-Z1R combination? Would you recommend?
Personally i don't.

I think the IER Z1R needs alot more power to make it sound to it's potential. Something like an ibasso DX300.
Anyways I struggled with the Z1R because i found the weight too much for me on the go and purely used it as a home iem as the IER Z1R scales up beautifully with good desktop equipment. It absolutely sang with my Questyle cma400i.

However in the end i decided to sell the IER Z1R as i use headphones for home and i'm actually in the process of selling the ZX507.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #7,003 of 8,642
I'm about to take delivery of the Z1R. Would you recommend the ZX507 to power it? What's been your experience with the combination?

I was impressed with the combination but I have nothing to compare it to as I don't have a desktop/home solution for an A/B comparison. I did buy the uncapped version of the ZX507 and i'm not sure if this makes a difference to others experiences.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #7,005 of 8,642
Personally i don't.

I think the IER Z1R needs alot more power to make it sound to it's potential. Something like an ibasso DX300.
Anyways I struggled with the Z1R because i found the weight too much for me on the go and purely used it as a home iem as the IER Z1R scales up beautifully with good desktop equipment. It absolutely sang with my Questyle cma400i.

However in the end i decided to sell the IER Z1R as i use headphones for home and i'm actually in the process of selling the ZX507.
I also assume z1r need more power, as it has same or almost the same specs like ier m7, and I was surprised that it was not easy to drive on 4.4mm 200 mW.
and I may assume the it's not enough. thus more power may improve the sound.
what cable do u use with xba z5? i tried one lc re fiio. it had issue with left earphone. (right was OK) sound (particularly sub-bass) is much better vs stock cable or stock + dual 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back