SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 3, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #6,541 of 8,639
Just to share a video that allows you to hear difference in sound between a typical delta sigma and R2R/multibit dac:

What I find in my opinion is that Sony's S-Master HX although technically is a delta sigma like technology, Sony has managed to produce a type of sound that sits in between a delta sigma and R2R/multibit dac would sound, especially if you listen in Direct Source mode. It has the transient speed of a DS while still having the timbre of the R2R/multibit.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #6,542 of 8,639
The way I see the ZX507 is a local file player that can stream when need be. While the streaming with the ZX507 is quite stable and apps quite functionnal which is not every DAP's forte from what I read, there are several drawbacks to streaming with the ZX507:

- Battery life takes a serious hit, 5-6 hours with mine with Wifi on, Hi-res upsampling and screen navigation. Videos? I would expect even less!
- Not bitperfect for those who care.
- Tiny screen and keyboard. Get ready to fatfinger everything.
- Player SoC barely keeps up, expect lag and delays.

I loved mine so much and was hoping for USB/BT dac to be added with FW updates to get my iPad to stream or watch videos/tv shows/movies but it doesn't seem like it's coming at all. I parted ways with my ZX507 and got something else.

Did you go with the LP6K?

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #6,544 of 8,639
This DC Phase Lineraizer is a strange beast, sometimes I can hear a distinct difference like first thing this morning where I had to adjust from A High to a more 'tamed' sounding B Standard. Other times the differences are hardly noticeable. Some recordings make the differences easier to hear.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #6,545 of 8,639
We humans are not as tuned for bass frequencies as other mammals. We have a hard time locating source positions of audio frequency under 50Hz. Also we will have some perceptual loudness differences between different bass frequencies that is played at the same output levels. Try playing a frequency sweep from 20Hz to 20KHz, you will notice that bass frequencies will vary alot in loudness(though it could be your iem/headphones bass curve).

My first pair of audiophile iem was the Etymotic ER4P, single balanced armature, even though they have excellent passive noise isolation, they are not so great at reproducing sub-bass. The only time which I get to experience really enjoyable bass with the ER4P is when listening at dead quiet of night indoors, anywhere else, subbass is always missing from the music. Especially if you listen on a metro train, bass is almost missing from the ER4P. So your exterior environment does mask away the bass that you hear from your iem/headphone.

Also listening fatigue over time does also skew your loudness perception of certain frequencies as well.

So don't worry too much about DC Phase Linearizer sounding different, it is not a system problem and likely your auditory system/listening environment affecting bass perception.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #6,546 of 8,639
Bit perfect is over rated IMHO because the ZX507 sounds better than a lot of bit-perfect DAPs I have when streaming Tidal. Sony figured out the fact that bit-perfect music doesn't necessarily translate to a wonderful audio experience but I do agree as a user, you should have the option to turn it on or off somewhere in the software.

agree on this, i owned the dx160 and the hiby r6 and the zx507 at one point together and for some reason despite being bit perfect on the dx160 and the r6 while streaming, the zx507 still sounded better. This is both on tidal masters and qobuz. Add the fact that the dx160 and hiby r6 had wonky ldac implementations made it a quick decision for me to ditch the two in favor of the sony. Almost a year afterwards, still enjoying my zx507, and sometimes even use it as source on my marantz stereo receiver instead of my mojo-poly combination. Sometimes its not just about the specs, it is how its implemented :)

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #6,549 of 8,639
I got the MDR-Z1R and the 507 but do not know what your looking for? I’ve tried the Hugo and Mojo with them but this combo with both portability, materials and sound is my end game.
There is no end game. Companies keep bringing new pieces out 🤪

Still rocking my Japanese import ZX507 with K10U and balanced silver cable. Longest I've kept a DAP!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #6,550 of 8,639
agree on this, i owned the dx160 and the hiby r6 and the zx507 at one point together and for some reason despite being bit perfect on the dx160 and the r6 while streaming, the zx507 still sounded better. This is both on tidal masters and qobuz. Add the fact that the dx160 and hiby r6 had wonky ldac implementations made it a quick decision for me to ditch the two in favor of the sony. Almost a year afterwards, still enjoying my zx507, and sometimes even use it as source on my marantz stereo receiver instead of my mojo-poly combination. Sometimes its not just about the specs, it is how its implemented :)

Yes implementation is key to sound quality. In digital audio, there is a common misconception that everything is just ONES and ZEROS, A=B, Theorems are always right, as long as you follow Nyquist Theorem to the dot, your audio output will sound EXACTLY as it was recorded. However in my opinion, in reality, things are not so straight forward, there is a lot more underlying interactions between the physics of electricity and materials that conduct electricity and how that affects timing and response strength of music signals. That is why burn-in time and warm up time exist. But of course, your audio gear must be of high resolving power and your ears must be discerning enough to notice all of these sound differences.

What I feel is that most of these misconception is likely the result of the lack of understanding of the rather complex effects of electromechanics and how it affects audio input and output sound quality.

If digital audio can be as perfect as those believe, then the market of audiophile products should not exist as audio output should be perfect even with the cheapest dac/recording mic out there and people won't need to spend the extra money to buy mega expensive headphones, iems, dacs and daps to listen to music.

Fact is, we live in an imperfect world, there are many things in the audio chain that affect the quality of the recording and resulting audio output. Especially for digital audio, there is a rather difficult problem with time smearing, which does affect the clarity of music being played. If you don't understand the effects and how time smearing sounds like, this video does provide a very good simulated example of how it sounds and explanation.

Sony's DSEE, MQA, Chord/Rob Watt's WTA Filter, Schiit's time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter all are algorithms and oversampling systems trying to correct/address what is wrong with digital audio's time smearing. Other than quality of the components, what you are paying for in high end digital audio gear is for the processing power that is required to run all these complex sound altering algorithms/filters and oversampling systems.

I think for Sony, they are well ahead of other audiophile companies in terms of developing new audio technology. Most other audiophile companies are still improving on digital oversampling through fixed function algorithms and improvements to computational power, Sony is already ahead by making use of Artificial Intelligence for bit depth expansion, oversampling and the further development of 360 spatial audio.

Wish Sony would develop their next flagship Walkman soon, I believe it will be a game changer for sure, given how much innovative technology that Sony has in it's "war chest".

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #6,551 of 8,639
If Sony can build on the ZX507 with a larger battery and screen with more processing power and a higher output they can take my money straight away. Although in some ways it’s a shame they couldn’t do this with the ZX507. Had they made this player slightly bigger and increased the cost they probably could of made all the upgrades on my wish list. Instead they’ll prob release something of the sort made with exotic materials carrying a $2k price tag.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #6,552 of 8,639
Agree - from my point of view the main problem is the battery and the OS ... which are linked : Sony should use a stripped down version of Android instead of the full version with all useless apps and services running in the background for a DAP.
That's why I went back to AK : their DAP have streaming abilities without having to deal with the full Android version and battery problems

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #6,553 of 8,639
If Sony can build on the ZX507 with a larger battery and screen with more processing power and a higher output they can take my money straight away. Although in some ways it’s a shame they couldn’t do this with the ZX507. Had they made this player slightly bigger and increased the cost they probably could of made all the upgrades on my wish list. Instead they’ll prob release something of the sort made with exotic materials carrying a $2k price tag.

I’d rather they gave us the same internal in a DAC. Too bad that feature was lost from the ZX300

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #6,554 of 8,639
Agree - from my point of view the main problem is the battery and the OS ... which are linked : Sony should use a stripped down version of Android instead of the full version with all useless apps and services running in the background for a DAP.
That's why I went back to AK : their DAP have streaming abilities without having to deal with the full Android version and battery problems

I bought the ZX507 for its streaming too, so has to have Android currently for offline support. If I only played my own files I'd stick with ZX300 or the 1A.

They would have my money as upgrade if they double battery, make bit-perfect system wide (and MQA), use a minimal, closed Android purely for need to support offline streaming services like Spotify/Tidal/AmazonHD. All through Walkman App interface which you also use to access any Streaming Apps.

Build & Sound quality must remain the same or better, and not be over £750.

For using purely with Walkman App with Wifi/BT/NFC off battery is already fine, just not great.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #6,555 of 8,639
I bought the ZX507 for its streaming too, so has to have Android currently for offline support. If I only played my own files I'd stick with ZX300 or the 1A.

I also use streaming services from time to time, as well as Youtube, and the BT Receiver function works wonders for me, on my WM1A.

If I had to go outside, I wouldn't have a data connection on the ZX507 anyway, so I'm just streaming from my smartphone - and in any case, if I like something on Tidal/Youtube, it would almost 100% end up as local files on the player's SD card.

Even SBC (on Sound Quality preferred setting) sounds great, and not having to worry about the battery is a big plus in my book.

I almost went for the ZX507, which I ordered from Amazon, but I'm so glad I decided to not go for an Android DAP again and went with the 1A instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back