SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #5,551 of 8,642
@Sonywalkmanuser sorry bro they have burst your happy bubble with zx507 boo boo

It is an amazing dap I think its worth the fame, though it cant beat desktop but it sound so alike!

For example wm1z sound good without any dsp I always set it to direct source only. With wm1a I sometimes play with dsp...
Zx507 seems to love dsp even more. I guess its a sign. Higher grade the gear less dsp it needs to sound optimal in my opinion.

I still use my A17 for some tracks, with heavy sound processing, its soothing and satisfying but it can’t beat the genuine quality of a high end dap. Hilariously, I like karaoke mode in it when used mildly and it delivers great results for handful of songs. It all comes down to how thin or thick of a digital blanket (Sony sound signature) you prefer on the original audio, but agreed that high end daps sound natural without any digital processing. Sony gives all the bells and whistles with all their daps so that most of the music listeners find their peace. But unfortunately, tweaking a mediocre dap 100 times won’t yield a premium result.

Feeding raw hi-res files from usb to a decent Sony receiver will make those premium tower speakers sing for their money, no sub needed, no walkman needed here and the entire music team would be performing in our large room, instead of our head. Sometimes head gears just don't cut it in all cases, you need a good sound studio/listening room, a real one to feel the music. And yes DSEE sounds good on receivers too, but not for all music. Sony slaps that proprietary technology in all their products, but its application and appreciation is highly subjective. We all have good ears, thats why we are here but we may prefer different sound signatures.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #5,552 of 8,642
I still use my A17 for some tracks, with heavy sound processing, its soothing and satisfying but it can’t beat the genuine quality of a high end dap. Hilariously, I like karaoke mode in it when used mildly and it delivers great results for handful of songs. It all comes down to how thin or thick of a digital blanket (Sony sound signature) you prefer on the original audio, but agreed that high end daps sound natural without any digital processing. Sony gives all the bells and whistles with all their daps so that most of the music listeners find their peace. But unfortunately, tweaking a mediocre dap 100 times won’t yield a premium result.

Feeding raw hi-res files from usb to a decent Sony receiver will make those premium tower speakers sing for their money, no sub needed, no walkman needed here and the entire music team would be performing in our large room, instead of our head. Sometimes head gears just don't cut it in all cases, you need a good sound studio/listening room, a real one to feel the music. And yes DSEE sounds good on receivers too, but not for all music. Sony slaps that proprietary technology in all their products, but its application and appreciation is highly subjective. We all have good ears, thats why we are here but we may prefer different sound signatures.
Not to mention Sony sound signatures are mostly just dsp. As evidenced by the DMP-Z1 sound signature port to the WM1A/Z, ZX300, A50/40/30

It blew my mind considering how vastly different the DMP-Z1's hardware is to their portable DAPs.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #5,553 of 8,642
Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't want it.

It's a very useful feature especially with phones dropping headphone jacks.
Agree, but all I'm saying is it was never sold as having or going to have these features.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #5,554 of 8,642
Agree, but all I'm saying is it was never sold as having or going to have these features.
Absolutely, I would never compromise on sound to get more features.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #5,555 of 8,642
Not to mention Sony sound signatures are mostly just dsp. As evidenced by the DMP-Z1 sound signature port to the WM1A/Z, ZX300, A50/40/30

It blew my mind considering how vastly different the DMP-Z1's hardware is to their portable DAPs.

Manufacturers like Sony have to compensate for a mediocre product by introducing fancy technologies to keep fanboys in fantasy. Firmware updates one after another, changes in sound screens to keep the listeners busy ranting or appreciating. Sony does a far superior job in keeping most type of consumers happy, thats a business win. Purists have ample options to explore and discover, but fanboys worship what they have.

Apple did that with their ipods by giving them cool looks and white headphones and majority people bought those without questioning that garbage sound quality. But that 120 GB ipod only served me as a usb mass storage device since the first day. I couldn't return that crap since it was a gift. I felt like stomping on that waste of engineering.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #5,557 of 8,642
Manufacturers like Sony have to compensate for a mediocre product by introducing fancy technologies to keep fanboys in fantasy. Firmware updates one after another, changes in sound screens to keep the listeners busy ranting or appreciating. Sony does a far superior job in keeping most type of consumers happy, thats a business win. Purists have ample options to explore and discover, but fanboys worship what they have.

Apple did that with their ipods by giving them cool looks and white headphones and majority people bought those without questioning that garbage sound quality. But that 120 GB ipod only served me as a usb mass storage device since the first day. I couldn't return that crap since it was a gift. I felt like stomping on that waste of engineering.

Here come the pitchforks... :upside_down:

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #5,558 of 8,642
@Dapman. That's overly harsh. Sony just want to cater to as many people as possible. For some purists like me, Sony has the "Direct mode", where I found the base sound of the ZX507 is perfect, I preferred it to the AK SP1000M, while for others that want a larger than life sound, Sony has best in class DSP's. I would never compare any dap to a desktop product either. Also all other dap manufacturers I've experienced have also tweaked their sound through firmware updates as well, and in all cases it's always been an evolution rather than revolution.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #5,559 of 8,642
This is where Sony zx507 doesn't appeal to purist, they will steer clear of that wifi, android mess with baby battery. It could be their secondary player, but never primary.
I disagree. If it was a $350 dap it would be my first choice. But at $800? Pass.

There are better sounding options at $800

But the thing with Sony DAPs is that you're exchanging pure SQ for battery life and the Sony sound signature.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #5,560 of 8,642
@Dapman. That's overly harsh. Sony just want to cater to as many people as possible. For some purists like me, Sony has the "Direct mode", where I found the base sound of the ZX507 is perfect, I preferred it to the AK SP1000M, while for others that want a larger than life sound, Sony has best in class DSP's. I would never compare any dap to a desktop product either. Also all other dap manufacturers I've experienced have also tweaked their sound through firmware updates as well, and in all cases it's always been an evolution rather than revolution.
Always had a way with their processing that Sony

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #5,563 of 8,642
Sorry to say this but 99% of the dap/dacs out there has sound processing algorithms/systems inside. Even inside the ESS or AKM dac chips, there are digital filters that is based on algorithms.

If you seek a purist player without any kind of sound processing maybe you should consider this player instead:
http://www.tera-player.com/

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #5,564 of 8,642
If we go by this logic then all DAPs are waste of money north of 1K and absolutely no no above 2K

But then speaker guys will say headphones are waste of money. There is absolutely nothing wrong if someone enjoys sony DSP

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #5,565 of 8,642
@Vitaly2017
This would not have been an issue if Sony released their flagship Walkman with this DSEE Ultimate included this year. Everybody would have been singing praises about the new sound quality of both the new hardware and new software.

it is just too bad Covid-19 hit us all. And the only 4.4mm balanced player that has this Sony AI technology happens to be on this non-flagship android based ZX507. Many android haters will ready their pitchforks and also those who think the ZX507 isn’t any good.

This DSEE Ultimate AI technology is by no means perfect but it can recreate/adjust tiny details that is harder to notice. Like the tap dance sound that I mentioned.

Technology is forever evolving, what is considered as high end in 2015 is going to be mainstream in 2020. This Sony DSEE Ultimate will likely be introduced into Sony next flagship and other future high end sound products and not just for ZX507/Xperia 1 II. And Sony will likely improve the Ultimate’s AI Algorithms moving forward.

Hey all Sony ZX507 owners! Hope you guys are enjoying the new sound experience on the DSEE Ultimate like I am. It isn’t perfect but I guess it can sound awesome most of the time especially with lossy and cd audio quality music.

Back to my music listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back