SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #5,476 of 8,642
Have you forced a db update afterwards in the Sony music app?

Edit: I just checked as I have dsd albums and mine are just tagged with the album art cover and It's displayed correctly. The .jpg or .png files naming seems necessary when there is not tagging method such as .wav files. I use mp3tag software myself. Free and effective.

😅 it works after I updated the database.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #5,477 of 8,642
Wow it is amazing where the new zx507 fw has made its way. Comparing an unburned zx507 with only 5 hours on board!!! It slightly outshines the wm1a stock with dmp-wm1 fw

It is 100% true soundstage is equal as on 1a and zx507 very nice job! Sony so far this is my very intial first impressions and zx507 sounds absolutely as a winner to my ears.

I will further make more listening and burn in but I already feel it! Also bass and clarity on zx507 seems higher vs the 1a. I like the deeper bass 1a is more relaxed bass less present so its more easy for the long listener but zx507 bass is delicious how can you not like it!

I think I found my new love hehe.

But 1a stock with new dmp-wm1 fw is also extremely amazing, very musical and soul dancing sound! I kinda love both sounds and 1a feels less bass elevated its also charming!
I am impressed how details are equal and soundstage too! very nice tie!

I cant say much how the sound varies from J to international for now as the fw is different and its really hard to tell :frowning2: sound wise its phenomenal. All current impressions on done on fw 2.01

Another interesting finding is that zx507 has less hiss then 1a, when I disable direct source it has a hiss! a little unfortunate as if using the dsp then will have this slightly high hiss. not bothering but I can hear it in low passages. Direct source is ultra clear@!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #5,478 of 8,642
How do I get the ZX507 to display album artwork for DSD format file?

Use MP3 Tag. I run into this issue when I first got my DAP. Had to redo the DSD folders.

No need to rename the image.

1. After installing Mp3 Tag.Restart PC.
  2. Open the music folder you want to modify
  3. Highlight all tracks
  4. Right-click and choose Mp3 tag
  5. This will open Mp3 tag window
  6. Select all Tracks again
  7. Drop image you want as cover art in the image area
  8. Click Save.
  9. Delete the old folder from the walkman. Drop the resaved folder onto the Zx507...cover art should display correctly.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #5,479 of 8,642
@Vitaly2017

Do remember to try Hi-res streaming On with other dsp to take into full account of the sound for fw 2.01.

Considering that your unit is only 5hours old and not yet tweaked. It should fair much better once you upgrade to v2.02 Sony unmentioned 3D sound processing and finally to V3 for DSEE Ultimate along with tweaking away battery optimizations and google junks.

Also have you formatted your microsd card with the zx507 walkman?

The hiss could be byproducts of the unburnt in capacitors. Once burnt in, it should be gone or reduced to a much lesser level.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #5,481 of 8,642
@Vitaly2017

Do remember to try Hi-res streaming On with other dsp to take into full account of the sound for fw 2.01.

Considering that your unit is only 5hours old and not yet tweaked. It should fair much better once you upgrade to v2.02 Sony unmentioned 3D sound processing and finally to V3 for DSEE Ultimate along with tweaking away battery optimizations and google junks.

Also have you formatted your microsd card with the zx507 walkman?

I think if I do the update it will go straight to the latest fw which is version 3 right?

I had previously formatted my sd cards with 1z and 1a and they are full 400 gigs atm . It will take to long to re-upload my music.

I also have 1 spare free 125 gig extreme sandisk that one I will use and format with zx507.

Will try to compare how it sounds vs internal memory.
But from what I heard its a little too aggressive on sound with sandisk extreme I want to try the ultra as I know that one is more easy on dynamics.

I also felt the aggressiveness can be reduced by enabling dsee hx! Almost like it was made to be that way

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #5,482 of 8,642
I think skipping fw2.02 and jumping to latest V3 and tweaking will be a good time saving idea.

I felt that V3 with DSEE Ultimate turn out to be more gentler sounding for sandisk extreme pro. The aggression level is more nuanced/progressive with DSEE Ultimate as compared to the more excited DSEE HX AI in fw2.02

For my 1AM2, I have to switch to low gain as the extreme pro with it has a too aggressive V shaped sound. Low gain provides a more neutral presentation. But for my IER-M9, it's High gain for best sound.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #5,483 of 8,642
I think skipping fw2.02 and jumping to latest V3 and tweaking will be a good time saving idea.

I felt that V3 with DSEE Ultimate turn out to be more gentler sounding for sandisk extreme pro. The aggression level is more nuanced/progressive with DSEE Ultimate as compared to the more excited DSEE HX AI in fw2.02

For my 1AM2, I have to switch to low gain as the extreme pro with it has a too aggressive V shaped sound. Low gain provides a more neutral presentation. But for my IER-M9, it's High gain for best sound.

I also compared Spotify vs local files and playing it via zx507 has more fidelity rather ldac from phone to 1a ... with zx507 Spotify and local files has almost no gap in sound quality. It is slightly inferior of course but practically unnoticeable if you forget it...

My zx507 need 200hours of burn in it does seem to sound a little restreint, like the flow of the music isnt fluid straight a little fatiguing vs 1a who has 1200 hours 😅

I will get home soon will do all the updates first then start shopping android crap as google keeps sending me unwanted notifications! Like I dont want google pictures here Okay LoL

Can you pass me the link to your guide please

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #5,484 of 8,642
I also compared Spotify vs local files and playing it via zx507 has more fidelity rather ldac from phone to 1a ... with zx507 Spotify and local files has almost no gap in sound quality. It is slightly inferior of course but practically unnoticeable if you forget it...

My zx507 need 200hours of burn in it does seem to sound a little restreint, like the flow of the music isnt fluid straight a little fatiguing vs 1a who has 1200 hours 😅

I will get home soon will do all the updates first then start shopping android crap as google keeps sending me unwanted notifications! Like I dont want google pictures here Okay LoL

Can you pass me the link to your guide please
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-57#post-15339376

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #5,485 of 8,642
Some of the tweets from Japanese zx507 users
_20201004_025835.JPG
_20201004_030651.JPG

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #5,486 of 8,642
O.K., I've been listening on v.3.00.07 firmware with DSEE-HX <On> the last hour or so (I am someone who has preferred Direct Source); also, High Res Streaming <On> (do not care for DC Phase Linearizer...at all, so that is <Off>, YMMV). So far, so good. It is definitely, IMO, an improvement over prior iterations.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #5,487 of 8,642
If you have chinese Firmware and want Tidal and some other apps.

1. First download APKPure App downloader https://apkpure.com/apkpure-app.html?icn=aegon&ici=how_to_install
  2. Drop the downloaded file in the ZX505/507 download folder.
  3. Disconnect walkman from computer
  4. Navigate to "Files App" on Walkman , open it
  5. Tap and install APKPure, give it permission.
  6. Search for any apps you want.Including Google if you wish. Best of both worlds.Resetting walkman removes everything besides orginal Chinese firmware.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5,488 of 8,642
Though I do feel the Ultimate AI can still be improved upon. I have encountered two tracks so far which I felt that the sound enhancement is overdone. Too harsh sounding but these are very rare encounters. When the AI bit depth enhancement works correctly as with 99.9% of the time, it provides for a more nuanced transient/dynamics presentation.

Also you might encounter softer sound elements in your music that was previously masked away either by more louder elements or because the softer sound elements were previously less defined. This is more noticable when combined with Hi-Res Streaming ON.

I think like @nanaholic mentioned before, the biggest uplifting for DSEE Ultimate is with 16bit 44.1KHz music files. For 24bit music files, the nuance changes are lesser.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,490 of 8,642
Hello
I have an European volume capped ZX507. I have tried to change the firmware to international (by downloading the firmware provided in post #5397, and putting it in internal memory, after data erase / factory reset in service mode). It worked once (at least downloading after choosing "system update"), so I think I am now on international version (no way to check). But still no "high gain" option... :frowning2:
I tried to do the same again with chinese firmware, but now I only and always have the message "you are already on latest version"...
Someting I can do ?
Help would be appreciated (you can PM if better) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back