SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5,356 of 8,639
^^ Pretty sure you can't "side-grade" that way... At least I tried that on version 2.x (was on JP firmware, wanted to go same version # except International); loaded manually downloaded UPG and tried updating. Didn't work. :shrug: You'll have to wait until the next version and try again with a manual upgrade with a downloaded UPG.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #5,358 of 8,639
did pair mdr z1r with zx507? how does it sound? is it proper driven? to what degree is it proper driven? especially bass and sub-bass section.
maybe u also tried z7m2 with zx507...
Never tried it sorry.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #5,359 of 8,639
It really depends on each persons taste and what they prioritize in sound characteristics. I had MDR-Z7M2 and Ier-z1r for long enough to give a precise judgment on them and for me they dont touch the performance of my tia noirs no matter how much uber are the specs in those iems and headphones .

Sony best sounding iem is Ier-z1r it outclasses even mdr-z1r.
But its sony sound... and I like 64a sound tuning. As it sounds much more appealing with edm!

Plus tia fourte iem class has technology that sony dont have!
-Tia ba drivers
Tia acoustical air chambers per driver!
-true tubless design!
-Apex technology (anti air pressure system)
-supper light and comfortable

I like sony but they dont make the best headphones or iems.
In my long journey 64audio is the best in iems!

This being said Tia Fourte vs Ier-z1r is simply a monster of capabilities and advantages over Ier-z1r.
Outclasses in résolution, détails retrieval, nuances too tonality, transition in notes, decay of bass is more tight and fast, totally kills z1r in treble department ( more refined smoothe silky and supreme fidelity)

Ier-z1r is a very good performer but its far behind the fourtes.
OF COURSE THIS IS my personal opinion dont take it as a definitive description for each their own end game!
On its own the IER-M9 sounds better than the IER-Z1R imo. But when paired with the DMP-Z1R unbalanced the IER-Z1R stands right at the pinnacle of iem sound quality. Gargantuan soundstage, super holographic sound, near perfect tonality, super crisp yet never piercing.

You should try the combo if you get the chance

20190516_184850.jpg

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #5,360 of 8,639
On its own the IER-M9 sounds better than the IER-Z1R imo. But when paired with the DMP-Z1R unbalanced the IER-Z1R stands right at the pinnacle of iem sound quality. Gargantuan soundstage, super holographic sound, near perfect tonality, super crisp yet never piercing.

You should try the combo if you get the chance

20190516_184850.jpg

Definitely something to try out but as goes practicality and comfort I cannot own neither of the two...

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #5,361 of 8,639
Definitely something to try out but as goes practicality and comfort I cannot own neither of the two...
Oh yeah the IER-Z1R is a really big and heavy iem.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #5,362 of 8,639
Oh yeah the IER-Z1R is a really big and heavy iem.

I had it for 3 months and also had custom advanced eartips and was not doable. To uncomfortable can't get along with it.

My 64a iems I ware them 5 to 8 hours a day 5 days a week . Sometimes I have weeks with 35 -40 hours of listen lol so you can imagine the comfort level

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #5,363 of 8,639
Yes!
They finally shipped my zx507 so it deserves a little Hallelujah!
😅😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-215545_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-215545_Chrome.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 1, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #5,364 of 8,639
heya everyone, potential owner of the zx507 here. ive got a question, im wanting to pull the trigger on one but im a bit hesitant and maybe you guys can clear some air. 1. i own an a&k sr15 for a few years now and i enjoy it but its time to move on and upgrade. do the sonys have a better battery life?

2. do the sonys sound objectively better?

3. do you guys find it nicely pocketable and doesnt get warm after 3-4hrs of flac 16bit use ?

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #5,365 of 8,639
I was able to do it with the same version last time, just took 3 or 4 tries, I just don't know which file to use.

we have 0000 through 0009.

0000 is international I believe. You can always sidegrade. Make sure to turn off WIFI and Battery charged above 60%.

I personally went back to the Chinese version so as not to deal with google services. Had to reset the DAP to completely remove any google traces. Battery seems to be doing much better and the slight warmth during listening sessions has reduced to non.CPU has a reduced workload.

Loving the sound on this 3.0 firmware.

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #5,366 of 8,639
^^ Welp, gonna have to try a sidegrade again. What's the 4 digit code for Chinese firmware? I'll see if I can download that. Running without having to disable all the Google stuff (and undoubtedly some stuff still running in the background) sounds nice.

EDIT: I think code for China is 0003

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #5,367 of 8,639
I wasn't able to sidegrade this time. I did a factory reset since it seemed slow, still slower than V2.

with V3 I can not see my files with USB-C cable to my PC now.

this is the best sound I have heard from the 507 tho. :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #5,368 of 8,639
V3 Factory reseted ZX507 feels really sluggish with google apps running and without GPU acceleration. Aggressive Android battery optimization also causes UI slowdowns and reduces smoothness of the sound.

Its is a day and night difference when it comes to tweaked ZX507 graphical user interface fluidity.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #5,369 of 8,639
Yeah, I just came back to say I did try to side-grade to China firmware and it just won't let me. I was pretty sure I wasn't misremebering that I couldn;t do it on earlier firmware version either.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #5,370 of 8,639
Am I the only one who wishes this DAP had a proper analog line-out to connect to an external amp? Don't get me wrong, just using the HPO and increasing the volume to 120 on high gain works okay, but it is kind of annoying and a feature that in my opinion should be available as it is standard on every other DAP I've had.

Looking forward to downloading the new firmware and hearing the sonic improvements. And the search feature is a nice addition too!
I'd recommend low gain on 110 to remove any chance of clipping, not to mention low gain sounds better anyway.

Also since sony daps don't have dacs its simply not possible to use line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back