SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 1, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #4,681 of 8,639
Using the SE plug with a cheaper cable than

Both have just one slot. I think they can both handle 1tb cards but not 100% on this, someone else will confirm.

Thanks. I'm fairly new to the DAP world, I have a great music collection (DSD, hi res etc) so space is of concern. and I use a handful of solid near TOTL IEMs (Solaris, U12t, Legend X, Nio). I would like to get a sony dap to complement my Fiio m11 pro (which I like). I'm assuming something like the ZX-300 would be a step down from what I'm used to? I was eyeing the 507 or wm1a possibly if I can get a good deal. I would love to try the wm1z but I'm not willing to plop that down much for it, especially if it can only hold one micro sd. And I have a lot of good full size cans but I've never been satisfied with their use on a DAP (exception would probably be the focal clear, since they're easier to drive). I have a good full size rig at home.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #4,682 of 8,639
Thanks. I'm fairly new to the DAP world, I have a great music collection (DSD, hi res etc) so space is of concern. and I use a handful of solid near TOTL IEMs (Solaris, U12t, Legend X, Nio). I would like to get a sony dap to complement my Fiio m11 pro (which I like). I'm assuming something like the ZX-300 would be a step down from what I'm used to? I was eyeing the 507 or wm1a possibly if I can get a good deal. I would love to try the wm1z but I'm not willing to plop that down much for it, especially if it can only hold one micro sd. And I have a lot of good full size cans but I've never been satisfied with their use on a DAP (exception would probably be the focal clear, since they're easier to drive). I have a good full size rig at home.

ZX300 isn't far behind, the M11 isn't quite as warm sounding iirc, though I prefer the form factor of the 300 and battery is slightly better. The WM1A beats it on battery life hands down, though sonically while some maintain it's superior others put them on a par, though I've read some say they couldn't tell ZX300 from WM1A in a blind test - others will strongly disagree with this.
I feel the same as you with regards to the WM1Z and many actually prefer the WM1A, it all depends who you speak to.
With the ZX507 both balanced and SE are very good, whereas ZX300 you would need to use the 4.4mm plug to get the best from it.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,683 of 8,639
Your battery time looks good to me
by the way, after last tweaks zx507 started charging significantly faster while playing music on 3.5 output simultaneously

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4,684 of 8,639
ZX300 isn't far behind, the M11 isn't quite as warm sounding iirc, though I prefer the form factor of the 300 and battery is slightly better. The WM1A beats it on battery life hands down, though sonically while some maintain it's superior others put them on a par, though I've read some say they couldn't tell ZX300 from WM1A in a blind test - others will strongly disagree with this.
I feel the same as you with regards to the WM1Z and many actually prefer the WM1A, it all depends who you speak to.
With the ZX507 both balanced and SE are very good, whereas ZX300 you would need to use the 4.4mm plug to get the best from it.

you convinced me to try the 300, I have a couple good custom IEM cables that terminate in 4.4 :)

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,685 of 8,639
you convinced me to try the 300, I have a couple good custom IEM cables that terminate in 4.4 :)

Just make sure you get an un-capped one, EU models only have low gain (shouldn't apply to you). You should get at least 15 hours playback playing flac thru balanced (WM1A gives at least 21 iirc) imo. My player is an EU version but I've rock boxed it to region U (USA).
ZX300 pairs very well with the Andromeda.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #4,686 of 8,639
If I have a £300-£500 budget, what would you recommend for a set of in ears that pair well with the ZX507? I mainly listen to edm, pop, rock, some classical. I am not looking for anything too analytical, something fun and slightly v shaped. At first I considered the M9 but I think I would prefer something with a DD as I do like my bass. There's just too much choice out there!

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #4,687 of 8,639
If I have a £300-£500 budget, what would you recommend for a set of in ears that pair well with the ZX507? I mainly listen to edm, pop, rock, some classical. I am not looking for anything too analytical, something fun and slightly v shaped. At first I considered the M9 but I think I would prefer something with a DD as I do like my bass. There's just too much choice out there!
u set impossible task. fun and V shaped, and same time IEMs (in ear monitors). monitors have flat sound signature.
I recommend headphones. sony mdr 1Am2 . V shaped sound for $200-300. balanced cable will deliver u enough power from zx507.
they are lite comfortable and pretty compact in size.
(I use them, I also tried ier - m7, boring monitors compared to 1Am2)

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4,688 of 8,639
I sold my IER-M9 a few weeks ago, however I spent yesterday listening to the new firmware with a 64 Audio U12t, which arguably goes one step even further than the M9 in the imaging department.

It sounds sublime with the ZX507.

I must say, the last few firmware updates have really elevated the ZX507. I used to feel that the ZX507 was a great sounding dap but felt the staging capabilities were a big compromise compared to the WM1Z. But, the improvements from the latest firmwares have brought me to the point that my WM1Z is redundant. The 1Z probably still has a slight edge overall, but the gap between the two is now very small imo.
just curious what DAP did you move from are you running your A12t with standard cables i have the effect audio Leonidas, whats the sound signature like with your 64 Audios thanks, did you get yours through Minidisc? the guys are great there.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,689 of 8,639
New ZX507 (JP) owner here. I purchased for the streaming (read: ability to download stream content offline and listen to that music saved on SD card) as I use (and rather enjoy) a modded ipod classic for my database of music. The form factor and battery life of the ipod is outstanding and I only use IEMs with portable devices. The ZX507 blows the ipod out of the water as far as sound quality is concerned. Specifically detail retrieval and depth/width of the sound.

I have both a Tidal and an AmazonHD account. I prefer Amazon HD for the price... but the app is SLOWWWWWW on the ZX507. I don't find that big of a difference between the two in SQ or the overall app experience when I am using my iphone with external BT dac but on the ZX507 the difference between Tidal and AmazonHD is night and day. Tidal sounds significantly better and using the app is smooth with very little delay/load times. Even with downloaded offline content and everything turned off that I can think to turn off on the android side of things the AmazonHD music app is VERY slow, jittery, or just outright crashes. When it does work, the music does not sound as good.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, and can you offer any suggestions!?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #4,690 of 8,639
just curious what DAP did you move from are you running your A12t with standard cables i have the effect audio Leonidas, whats the sound signature like with your 64 Audios thanks, did you get yours through Minidisc? the guys are great there.

Prior to the ZX507 I was using a WM1Z. I still use the WM1Z but less and less over the past few months.

Also using a Leonidas II on my U12t. I bought mine from a dealer based in Hong Kong. But yes, Minidisc are great :)

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #4,691 of 8,639
Prior to the ZX507 I was using a WM1Z. I still use the WM1Z but less and less over the past few months.

Also using a Leonidas II on my U12t. I bought mine from a dealer based in Hong Kong. But yes, Minidisc are great :)
just out of curiosity did you have trouble connecting your cables, mine had to be forced in with brute force, thought we might break the shell on my CIEM A12t

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #4,692 of 8,639
just out of curiosity did you have trouble connecting your cables, mine had to be forced in with brute force, thought we might break the shell on my CIEM A12t

Havent had any issues with the U12t pin connectors thankfully, but it’s been a problem on some other IEM’s. They should loosen a bit after a few insertions, but if you’re not planning on swapping cables and you’ve got it in now, I would just leave it. Tighter is better anyway 😉😄

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4,693 of 8,639
I am getting goose bumps listening to this track:

Hymn of the Fayth ~ Bahamut
Final Fantasy X Original Soundtrack

The Soundstage height is infinite. The voice is insanely holographic. Do find this track and give it a listen with hi-res streaming on and DSEE HX on .

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #4,694 of 8,639
So I've been using SE for a day as I read that once volume matched you cannot hear a difference. Today I switch to balanced and can hear the difference straight away, the sound is more vibrant and fuller. I'm liking DSEE HX once more.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #4,695 of 8,639
Hi, I am trying to use a remote control for my NW-ZX507 , so I can leave it inside the bag, I have tried the Sony RMT-NWS20 and iRiver IAA01 remote control but both does not work.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back