SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #3,812 of 8,642
I just gave up on DSEE HX (although its height effects sound interesting) after experiencing a couple of songs where DSEE HX effected the vocals with an incorrect sibilance emphasis when streaming from Qobuz at 44.1kHz/24bit and 96kHz/24 (note: High-Res streaming=On was set in Sound settings so everything was being SRC’d to 192/32). This sibilance was very obvious, and immediately went away when I turned DSEE HX to Off.

So now I have been going between [Direct=On] and [Direct=Off with DSEE HX=Off (and all other effects= Off as well) ]. I find the latter more accurate and pleasing. This is still with Settings->Sound->High-Res Streaming=On.

I’m not sure why [Direct=On] sounds different than [Direct=Off plus all effects Off]. But it does to me. Try it yourself with your favorite songs and post what you think. Maybe it’s all psycho acoustic perception on my part and you won’t have the same experience.

So, after all the posts from me hoping for bit-perfect playback of high-res audio from 3rd-party streaming apps on the ZX507, I can honestly say, I really like the sound from the Qobuz app with the settings: Sound->High-Res streaming=On; Sound adjustment -> [Direct=Off, with DSEE HX=OFF, as well as all other DSP = off].

I’m not obsessing about the “bits” anymore, just enjoying the sound.

Cheers,
Gus

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #3,814 of 8,642
Well there’s plenty of DSP to play with the Walkman.

I am now trying a new DSP setting: all turned off except Vinyl Processor Surface Noise on Low gain.

This sound signature reminded me of the analog chrome cassette tape of the late 80s/early 90s. Soft and relaxing to listen to.

Low res audio sounding but I am digging it.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #3,815 of 8,642
ZX507 > USB C Hub > Q5S

USB C hub will have one port labeled USB-C PD.

this is the port which you connect the USB-C wall charger. It will supply power to the zx507. As for charging the Q5S, it will depend on the mode you set.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #3,817 of 8,642
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #3,820 of 8,642
ZX500/A100 Optimization and Tweak Guide.
All these can be reversible back to original settings without any issues.

Please restart your device after disabling the apps/services to take effect:
To restart: with screen turn on, hold the power button for a few sec, then tap on restart

Updates to my tweak guide for June 2020, additional DSP:
you can access to the old Sony ZX2 walkman DSP settings on your ZX507/A105:

Clear bass
Surround (VPT): Studio, Club, Concert Hall
Crossfade Playback

Go to Google app store, download Sony Music Centre.

Launch App, tap on This Mobile , Sound&Playback , Uncheck Direct Source tick box.

From there you can find clearbass adjustment in EQ. VPT and Crossfade.

To reset from these DSP, just check back Direct Source in this app

Do note these DSP settings seems to only work when you play music using Sony Music Centre App only.

Updates to my tweak guide for May 2020:
This advanced tweak is mostly recommended for those who mainly uses the ZX507/A105's Sony stock Walkman Music app to play offline files on SDCARD.

This should provide better battery performance by further limiting/reducing google's constant background data collection/scanning on your walkman.

Do note that If you are using streaming app, you will NOT be able to update the app in google play store until you reverse this tweak or using alternative app updating store e.g. APKPure etc.

1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps >

Google Play Store > Disable

Google Play services > Permissions > turn off everything listed

Google Play services > Advanced > Modify system settings > Not Allowed

Google Play services > Storage > Clear Storage > Clear ALL DATA

2) Settings > Accounts > youraccount@gmail.com > Remove Account

Disabling of Android Battery Optimization:
This tweak can improve stability of streaming apps. It will prevent Android from stopping or slowing down processing time of the streaming app or music player app.
You can also disable battery optimization for all apps in your walkman if you want a more responsive feel
This tweak might cause your battery life to decrease or cause extra heat. It really depends on the app's cpu usage & network usage on the system.
more info:
https://www.theandroidsoul.com/doze-mode-android/

To disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Battery Optimization >
Select App and Tap on Don't Optimize
choice of:
A) only don't optimize the streaming apps & music player that you use
B) don't optimize for all apps

Tips to improve battery time:
1) Settings > Security & Location > Find My Device > OFF
2) Settings > Security & Location > Privacy > Location > OFF
3) Settings > Accounts > Automatically Sync Data > OFF
4) Settings > Security & Location > Location > Advanced > Scanning > Switch OFF Both WIFI and Bluetooth Scanning
5) Settings > Google > Tap on Top Right of Screen at Vertical Three Dots, Usage & Diagnostics > OFF
6) Settings > Google > On-Device Sharing > Turn OFF all listed
7) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Usage Access:
Switch off for Digital Well Being, Google, Google Play Services, Google Play Store
8)Turn off NFC: Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > OFF

Tips to Improve DAP responsiveness:
1) Settings > Accessibility > Remove Animations > ON
2) Download Google Files from Play Store
Clean Junk Files once in a while(weekly or daily)
3) Use GPU Acceleration: Settings > System > Advanced > *Developer Options > Force GPU Rendering > ON
* = To enable Developer mode: Settings > System > About Device > Build Number (tap 10 times on it)
4) Limit Background Process: Settings > System Advanced > "Developer Options > Background Process Limit: No Background Processes or At Most 2 Processes
This setting depends on what you are using your DAP for. If it's dedicated to just playing offline music, then no background process. If you are using USB Audio Player Pro along with Tidal, then increase the limit accordingly to the number of apps running.
More info here:
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...des-or-risks-to-limiting-background-processes

Apps that can be disabled safely without affecting playback functionality or performance:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps:
Calculator
Calendar
Chrome
Contacts
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Google
Google Japanese Input
Google Pinyin Input
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text to Speech Engine
Maps
mora
Photos

Redundant System Apps to disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps
Touch the three vertical dots on top right of screen then tap on [Show System]
Disable these:
Blocked Numbers Storage
Calendar Storage
Contacts Storage
com.android.soundrecorder
Default Print Service
Google One Time Init
Google Partner Setup
Google Backup Transport
Market Feedback Agent
Print Service Recommendation Service
User Dictionary

Hidden deep inside ZX507 settings, you can adjust bluetooth connection quality:
Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality >

LDAC Sound Quality Pref.
LDAC Connection Pref. (This is default)
Aptx HD
AptX
AAC
SBC Sound Quality Pref.
SBC Connection Pref.

After these, should battery saver be set on or off ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back