SONY NW-ZX500
May 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,107 of 8,642
All the Chinese DAP's seem to sell theirs without killing the volume. We think Sony interpret the EU guidelines wrong. It was meant to cover DAP's sold with included earphones I think, but the EU/UK ZX507 is serious messed-up with low volume. I had an import A105 and its SE connector drove more power than the UK ZX507 even via its balanced!

Doubling battery life would likely add at most 2mm to thickness and little extra weight (Li-ion don't weigh much).

Should aim for 20hrs playback for off-line Tidal/Spotify/AmazonHD etc. and at least 10hrs if live streaming over Wifi. That would likely give 30+ hours for Walkman app too with own files.
Sony should have thought of that... :S I mean, it's hard to say anything without disagreement with you. 2mm increased thickness, it just sounds futile speculation guesswork.

May 15, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,108 of 8,642
it just sounds futile speculation guesswork.

I work in IT/Comms so going on sizes of phone batteries vs stated capacities when I strip them down. Anyway, just my opinion but not just speculative guesswork. A cellphone battery can be as thin as ~3mm or so normally.

ZX500 series follows similar thin/flat battery style.

1589575325269.png

You lost me with this bit "it's hard to say anything without disagreement with you"

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,111 of 8,642
Yes in my experience with modding desktop class DACs. Sub-Bass and noise floor will improve with additional shielding but improper/over shielding might actually hurt high frequency response.

Sony has even gone to the extend of milling the copper block so as to improve on increasing the surface area that reflects away radio waves.

Don’t think you will find any snake oil in any of Sony products so far.

Just look at how simple the zx507 looks from the outside. If Sony is doing snake oil, it should be placed outside instead of being hidden inside.

Just because it’s not audible or visible to the naked eye, doesnt mean it does not exist. See this video and you will learn actually how noisy your electronics get:

May 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #3,112 of 8,642
All the Chinese DAP's seem to sell theirs without killing the volume. We think Sony interpret the EU guidelines wrong.

What makes you think Sony - a huge international company - don't have enough lawyers on payroll to correctly interpret the EU guidelines?
The answer is because Sony is a MUCH bigger target than any of the other Chinese DAP makers.
In the real world for the EU it's only worth suing an entity when the target is big, visible, and has the ability to pay the fines so they become an example to the rest. Sony being a big company means if they get out of line they will be slapped with a huge fine by the EU, so they have to be extra cautious. None of the other Chinese makers faces that same risk of being fined as Sony so they can slip under the radar. Plus Chinese company work culture had always been extremely sloppy with "ah, almost good enough" being their slogan, the Chinese not interpreting the guidelines correctly is actually the far more likely reason, even though when it benefits EU customers with their mistake.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #3,114 of 8,642
I've always wondered if the copper block actually makes a difference to the SQ. It's seems snak-eoily to me.
There is a simple answer to your question. If you don't believe that Sony engineers know what they are doing, or are intentionally putting unnecessary things into the design, then don't buy the product. Problem solved, as you have voted with your money.

On the other hand, a DAP is for music. If you try it, and it creates music that you like, and enjoy, then the question is how well it creates music, not what the parts are (though of course they do matter). Does it matter that they sprinkled holy water on it, got Trump's blessing, and stuffed a voodoo charm inside? Whatever makes the music better, I am all for it.

May 16, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #3,115 of 8,642
I'm experiencing a nasty bug. If I put my phone on charge before bed it will charge to 100%, it will charge to max within a couple hours and then by the time I get up it's completely flat and back down to 0%. I get the battery empty sign when I wake but I know it's charged to 100% before I go to sleep because I check... But leaving it on charge kills the battery. Not sure what's going on but it's happened 5 nights in a row. Any thoughts?

May 16, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #3,117 of 8,642
Did you enable the option to auto idle power off? Set it to 1hour?

It is likely that your charger has some kind of autosensing feature and will stop charging once the device connected has hit 100% and what happen next is that the walkman starts to idle drain from 100% until it goes flat.

Also do you have 3rd party apps running in the foreground or background while charging? It might be the cause for faster idle drain.

Have you applied the tweaks in my guide? It should slightly help with reducing idle power drain and improve battery time.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3,118 of 8,642
I'm experiencing a nasty bug. If I put my phone on charge before bed it will charge to 100%, it will charge to max within a couple hours and then by the time I get up it's completely flat and back down to 0%. I get the battery empty sign when I wake but I know it's charged to 100% before I go to sleep because I check... But leaving it on charge kills the battery. Not sure what's going on but it's happened 5 nights in a row. Any thoughts?
whats your average sleep time? 20 hrs....lol

May 16, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,119 of 8,642

I read years ago that leaving the cable attached to something that's charged up will then deplete it over time, could it be a cheap charger? Shouldn't happen with modern gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back