SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,839 of 8,642
Anyone heard anything about Roon possibly working on this?

quoting my post from earlier...
Another problem: ROON is a no-no on this. The framework ROON is using requires hardware that's simply not supported by the chipset - so this will likely never be possible. I was hoping to use it as a Roon remote and listen to my library while at home.

First few days I was thinking this not to be a real issue, however, two weeks later, I consider the combination of No ROON + No USB DAC mode to be quite a deal breaker in my case.

I've already filled out the return request for my unit in the mean time... Will do a write-up of this eventually, but between the too small screen, constant worries about battery life, no roon, no usb dac and the EU volume cap... sticking with the wm1a.

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,842 of 8,642
That's a software bug, you have to let it drop below 100% battery to be able to update.
sorry it is not the bug ,even if it is 85% battery power still it would ask you to connect to ac power and code is written that way and remeber some other smart phone also ask the same thing what matter the battery power level is.Thanks

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,843 of 8,642
sorry it is not the bug ,even if it is 85% battery power still it would ask you to connect to ac power and code is written that way and remeber some other smart phone also ask the same thing what matter the battery power level is.Thanks

There is a bug, it doesn't let you update if you are at 100% charge, have to let it drop below. That's the issue goody was referring to I believe. Hopefully has been fixed with latest firmware 1.21.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,844 of 8,642
First few days I was thinking this not to be a real issue, however, two weeks later, I consider the combination of No ROON + No USB DAC mode to be quite a deal breaker in my case.

I've already filled out the return request for my unit in the mean time... Will do a write-up of this eventually, but between the too small screen, constant worries about battery life, no roon, no usb dac and the EU volume cap... sticking with the wm1a.

That‘s disappointing about Roon, but not a deal breaker for me. I can still listen to my home collection via Plex.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #2,845 of 8,642
Most devices check for a minimum charge level before allowing an update to start, due to the risk of bricking a device if it runs out of power during the middle of an update. It looks like Sony is being extra cautious, and checks/enforces if the device is connected to a power source, before allowing the update to start. So no cause for concern, as this is not a fault. Just plug it into a power source, as the User Guide recommends.

(from the User Guide)
Digital Media Player
NW-ZX505/ZX507
Updating the system software
Update the system software of the player to the latest version. This will allow you to use the most recent functions. Save
a backup copy in advance. Be careful not to delete important data.
1 Connect the player to a power source.
2 Turn on the Wi-Fi function to connect the player to the internet.
3 Swipe the Home screen upwards.
Tap the menu items in the following order.
[Settings] - [System] - [Advanced] - [System updates].
Confirm the message carefully. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,846 of 8,642
I've got no troubles logging in to tidal and registering device. I just ordered a Samsung Evo plus so hopefully that will solve it
Samsung Evo plus arrived. Offline working a treat. And what I thought was DAP lag selecting songs and load times was gone. It's instant with this card. Happy man.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,847 of 8,642
Samsung Evo plus arrived. Offline working a treat. And what I thought was DAP lag selecting songs and load times was gone. It's instant with this card. Happy man.
Yeah, sadly most microsd cards are fake. Even amazon recommended brands are often crap.
Moral of the story: Samsung, Sandisk. I'd also advise against Lexar - had 2 cards fail.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,850 of 8,642
I am considering buying the Sony as a second player, unfortunately the issue of volume limitation worries me. I buy a European device, can I change it relatively easily? Or am I buying a Japanese device, the question is whether I can set the language to German? Thank you for your opinion :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back