SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,786 of 8,639
I just wanted to clarify a few points.

ZX507 also gets warm.

I installed the fiio player on my ZX507 and it has the same sudden change in signal popping noise I had on M11 Pro. It can be heard better if you keep hitting the play/pause button. So I guess this effect is on the software level. Also, I am not noticing any downsampling compared to the native app. Again, maybe it's just me and I just can't tell the difference. Or maybe I misunderstand the problem.

I find it annoying that the native player app takes some time doing some processing accompanied by the crackling noise before playing 44kHz tracks or DSD. And again, this does not happen to 96/192 kHz tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,787 of 8,639
Has Sony published the output impedence on the Zx507 yet? Or do we need someone like AmirM to figure it out for us?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,788 of 8,639
Why do we get the silver option and no black on Amazon.com? Same thing happened with the Zx100 & 300.

I know it’s cheaper and better to buy from sellers in Japan (not to mention their awesome packaging) but sometimes it’s a little stressful for me during the waiting period just for the color I want.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,789 of 8,639
I haven’t experienced any heating with the 507 whether charging on in use ...

It will be interesting to see if the suggested burn in makes any difference to the sound of the 507 at the moment....

Personally I found the 507 no where near the WM1A in terms of sound quality... so far I have found the 507 to be very harsh in the mids and a lot narrower in the soundstage.... another gripe I have with it is that it won’t play my DSD files... keeps saying it cannot play ... yet it worked fine on my WM1A and a few other DAPs like the Cube...

The 507 is a great DAP especially on the go and of course that’s a big plus... and the sound is good.... but for me it’s no where near as good as the WM1A....

I use the CA Solaris and the EA Cleopatra or the custom made pure silver with gold from Electrocousti.... plus custom ear tips... and my impression is based on using those on both DAPs...

For reference And sound wise with that same kit I prefer the WM1A over the AK Cube over the AK SR15 over the FiiO M11 and I would put the 507 with the SR 15 in terms of my preferences... not the same sound signature of course but to me a comparable DAP...

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,790 of 8,639

It will be interesting to see if the suggested burn in makes any difference to the sound of the 507 at the moment....

Personally I found the 507 no where near the WM1A in terms of sound quality... so far I have found the 507 to be very harsh in the mids and a lot narrower in the soundstage.... another gripe I have with it is that it won’t play my DSD files... keeps saying it cannot play ... yet it worked fine on my WM1A and a few other DAPs like the Cube...

The 507 is a great DAP especially on the go and of course that’s a big plus... and the sound is good.... but for me it’s no where near as good as the WM1A....

I use the CA Solaris and the EA Cleopatra or the custom made pure silver with gold from Electrocousti.... plus custom ear tips... and my impression is based on using those on both DAPs...

For reference And sound wise with that same kit I prefer the WM1A over the AK Cube over the AK SR15 over the FiiO M11 and I would put the 507 with the SR 15 in terms of my preferences... not the same sound signature of course but to me a comparable DAP...
I m waiting to see if zx507 sound changes over burn-in time.
I enjoyed wm1A very much, except of base (I wanted more with mdr 1Am2).
I thought zx507 sounds almost as good as wm1A, apparent of slightly narrower sound stage and more bass.
I chose to buy zx500 instead of wm1A due to portability in comparably SQ (as I assumed based on comments/reviews)
now u tell us that the gap in sound quality is huge...((

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,791 of 8,639
I m waiting to see if zx507 sound changes over burn-in time.
I enjoyed wm1A very much, except of base (I wanted more with mdr 1Am2).
I thought zx507 sounds almost as good as wm1A, apparent of slightly narrower sound stage and more bass.
I chose to buy zx500 instead of wm1A due to portability in comparably SQ (as I assumed based on comments/reviews)
now u tell us that the gap in sound quality is huge...((

It’s all subjective mate.... that’s why I put in my post what I use kit wise and what other DAPs I have had by way of a comparison....

All I can say is when I first listened to the 507 after listening to the same song on my WM1A... I immediately found the sound to be well below that of my WM1A.... it sounded harsh and messy compared to my WM1A..., but maybe burn in might change that...

The battery is also very disappointing even compared with the SR15 which I thought was a fast drainer... but I do understand why given its size and what’s going on inside even when you turn off most of it...

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #1,792 of 8,639

If you are using a CA Solaris and the Sony Zx507 is worse than w1ma, this worries me that the Zx507 has too high an output impedence. The WM1A is only 0.9

It may not be for subjective reasons. The output impedence of the 507 is still unknown.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,793 of 8,639
Why do we get the silver option and no black on Amazon.com? Same thing happened with the Zx100 & 300.

I know it’s cheaper and better to buy from sellers in Japan (not to mention their awesome packaging) but sometimes it’s a little stressful for me during the waiting period just for the color I want.

We only get the black version in UK and I was wanting a silver this time :) Plus ours are volume capped too :triportsad:

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,795 of 8,639
Hi, everyone. My first post. I'm new in the hifi audio and iem. I just received my NW-ZX507 "Japan Domestic Version" bought vida eBay from a seller from Japan. And for my pleasure surprise it has menu in English, Portuguese (I'm from Brazil), Deutsch, Japanese, etc.. I was stupid enough to not ask the seller about the menu language before buying. No worries now. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from head-fi.org.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,796 of 8,639
It’s all subjective mate.... that’s why I put in my post what I use kit wise and what other DAPs I have had by way of a comparison....

All I can say is when I first listened to the 507 after listening to the same song on my WM1A... I immediately found the sound to be well below that of my WM1A.... it sounded harsh and messy compared to my WM1A..., but maybe burn in might change that...

The battery is also very disappointing even compared with the SR15 which I thought was a fast drainer... but I do understand why given its size and what’s going on inside even when you turn off most of it...
I an waiting for ur review on sony zx507 after 200h of burning in. and comparison to wm1A.
am I right, u keep ur zx507?

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,797 of 8,639
I an waiting for ur review on sony zx507 after 200h of burning in. and comparison to wm1A.
am I right, u keep ur zx507?

I did this a while back. Search from my previous posts/impressions.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,798 of 8,639
I did this a while back. Search from my previous posts/impressions.
yes, I read ur review. thank you.
now I want mr. Fishdo's review after burn in. I was replying to him. (u probably missed that)

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,799 of 8,639
Mine was after burn in as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back