SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,546 of 8,639
Got the jelly case looks good! IMAG4411.jpg

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #1,547 of 8,639
Okay, now I'm even more confused... Turning on the "Direct Driver" in lieu of the Android whatever will allow proper decoding of MQA tracks via Tidal streaming... And I understand that this needs to be done via the desktop app (presumably with the ZX507 plugged into the laptop)... But how does streaming through the desktop come into this? Are we talking about bluetooth? Or foregoing the ZX507 all together, and using the Sony player app... To access the Tidal app? Why not just use the Tidal app? As far as I know, the ZX507 does not have standalone DAC capability...

I don't think there is a work around to get over the 44.1k / 16 bit limit of the old Android versions used. As I understand it only SONY's own music app will transmit hi-res - not Tidal not Qobuz.

Has it been proven that uapp can do it (when Streaming?)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,548 of 8,639
I don't think there is a work around to get over the 44.1k / 16 bit limit of the old Android versions used. As I understand it only SONY's own music app will transmit hi-res - not Tidal not Qobuz.

I asked Davy the UAPP developer this same question on 12 December 2019 and he said No. I think the ball is now in Sony's court to allow Tidal to stream and play offline downloads in a bit perfect manner. this is the reason why I am using my ZX507 to play music exclusively on the Walkman app.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #1,549 of 8,639
If they do that and add usb c digital out I may (re)buy one.

I found the screen too small but it's lightness makes it so comfortable in a shirt pocket.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,550 of 8,639

As an Apple guy who knows nothing about Android, your mentioning "the old Android versions used" has piqued my interest... Does this mean newer versions of Android do not have a 44.k/16 bit limit? And if so, do you imagine it will be possible to update the Android on the NW-ZX507 to one of these newer versions, thus allowing high-res streaming?

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #1,551 of 8,639
No, its a set (unchangeable) system in all these Android DAPs

Even if you had a super hacker perform surgery on your device - the chips used in it likely wouldn't be powerful enough to run the latest Android OS.

The manufacturers make big efforts on their own proprietary player apps (like offering an eq or hi res performance) but don't tend to care so much about 3rd party apps being able to do the same things.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,552 of 8,639
Yes, it will enable high-gain. I will post the link when it is sent to me. I am must sharing that I am in contact with Sony bout this.

Any news about this?

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,553 of 8,639
Many manufacturers bypass android src whatever the version for not just their own but any app. Some update the android version and supply system wide EQ. Hiby for instance went from android 6 to 8 and they have implemented their eq system wide. With the size and experience of sony they should be walking over the competition blindfolded . They have the most budget, audio and android experience than all the competition put together.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,555 of 8,639
Would be great to have tone control and USB DAC function, or even a full Sony audio mode for those who aren’t even using Android on this player.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,556 of 8,639
Many manufacturers bypass android src whatever the version for not just their own but any app. Some update the android version and supply system wide EQ. Hiby for instance went from android 6 to 8 and they have implemented their eq system wide. With the size and experience of sony they should be walking over the competition blindfolded . They have the most budget, audio and android experience than all the competition put together.

Like all big companies Sony is divided into different departments and those departments work quite independently. There's a dedicated mobile phone department (which is struggling really bad) and the audio/visual department (which is doing very well) and they don't share resources nor their yearly budgeting. You only have to look at Sony's FY reports to see how they break down the separate departments.

It's the same reason why Sony mirrorless cameras and imaging chip manufacturing curb stomps the competition but Xperia phones' camera performance is usually underwhelming. Sony's Walkman team is not really that much bigger than other dedicated DAP manufacturers and they don't put out enough devices to keep a dedicated team of Android OS devs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,557 of 8,639
Would be great to have tone control and USB DAC function, or even a full Sony audio mode for those who aren’t even using Android on this player.

Why would you even buy this range if you don't use Android (hence streaming services)? The ZX300 choice is better if you only want to play your own files with its much longer battery and ease of use.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,560 of 8,639
Why would you even buy this range if you don't use Android (hence streaming services)? The ZX300 choice is better if you only want to play your own files with its much longer battery and ease of use.

Simple. Because the sound quality of the ZX507 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back