SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 10, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #556 of 8,639
Any idea if Sony will sell a case/pouch with this player? It's a premium product and seriously, I am expecting to be able to buy a separate plastic/leather case that fits with this device.
How was it with the NW-ZX300? Did Sony sold a separate accessory to protect the case of the walkman?

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #557 of 8,639
They should have a case for this but I would get a Benz case for it. May have to wait a while though.

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #558 of 8,639
20191110_173237.jpg
20191110_173217.jpg

Sony case works well enough. A bit bulky for front pants pocket, but not unmanageable.

Edit: not bulky exactly, just doesn't slide in and out of pocket smoothly

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #561 of 8,639
The A100 sounded to me as bad as the A55. Grainy sound, not many details, same bass and treble roll-off. They are pretty little devices, but if you care about SQ, I suggest to go for ZX500. Clarity and lots of detail is definitely there. After burn-in the ZX500 sounds closer to WM1A than to the good old ZX300. ZX500 sounds like a 2019 Sony winner,

I am using a Galaxy S10 with B&W PX7 on Tidal HiFi and my music collection. I wonder how much improvement I will be able to feel If I use the ZX507 instead of the Galaxy S10 in this setting.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #562 of 8,639
Which is the product code for the case and where I can read more information about it? How much does it cost?

The product code is CKL-NWZX500 and you can find the details of the product in Japanese here. I don't believe they sale it on other countries rather than Japan.
I bought it the same day with the player. It feels much nicer compare to the Sony case for ZX300. Softer with some nice texture feel to it.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #563 of 8,639
Any idea if Sony will sell a case/pouch with this player? It's a premium product and seriously, I am expecting to be able to buy a separate plastic/leather case that fits with this device.
How was it with the NW-ZX300? Did Sony sold a separate accessory to protect the case of the walkman?

There is an official case for it. You may click here for more details. It sure feels nicer than the one for ZX300.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #564 of 8,639
It looks really good. It appears to be posted on Sony Asia, but it also appears on Sony Sweden in Support section. Therefore, I believe that the case will be released in Europe, too.
As it was looking the price for Japan (6.900JPY), it might be that in EU the price will be between 60-80EUR.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #565 of 8,639
I am using a Galaxy S10 with B&W PX7 on Tidal HiFi and my music collection. I wonder how much improvement I will be able to feel If I use the ZX507 instead of the Galaxy S10 in this setting.
PX7 are bluetooth headphones. Don’t expect much improvement in wireless. Wired is where the ZX500’s power is at.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #566 of 8,639
It looks really good. It appears to be posted on Sony Asia, but it also appears on Sony Sweden in Support section. Therefore, I believe that the case will be released in Europe, too.
As it was looking the price for Japan (6.900JPY), it might be that in EU the price will be between 60-80EUR.
That's about the price I paid for the case, not including shipping.
how are you finding the sound of the ZX507 brokengundam
I'm not anywhere near the 200 hour burn in point for the capacitors on either the balanced or 3.5mm se side, but so far so good. Currently, I still imagine that the highs resolve a bit clearer (a wee bit more sparkle, but not in a fatiguing way?) than a Fiio X7 II with its stock amp. The system-wide eq options are nice, although I haven't decided if I like the "dynamic normalizer" setting yet. It seems to act like a compressor/limiter, kind of like replay gain, basically giving everything the same "loudness" but without any user options to adjust. I'm currently waiting for a 4.4mm mmcx cable with a right angle plug to show up so I can get more use out of the balanced port. The current 4.4mm cable I have is a stock CFA litz cable with a straight plug that isn't very pocket friendly.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #567 of 8,639

Sony case works well enough. A bit bulky for front pants pocket, but not unmanageable.

Edit: not bulky exactly, just doesn't slide in and out of pocket smoothly
I'm digging that case design more so than the ZX300, texture seems less prone to scratches and the backside seems to be more protective with two layers instead of one

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #568 of 8,639
Odd, very contrary to my experience. I've tested the Senns 800S on both outputs and the balanced were winning, but not by much.

It does need the burn-in , I feel the balanced needed less burn in. perhaps that contributed to your assessment

My hd800s sound good but not ideal from balanced on wm1z and volume was at 110 to 120 high gain.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #569 of 8,639
This afternoon I have been using the balanced connection of the ZX507 with the CFA Equinox, and I definitely hear a boost in the high frequencies compared to the 3.5 connection. I thought of the slight boost in treble on the 3.5 side added clarity, but my mind's eye is currently picturing the added brightness on the 4.4 side as just "louder" highs. It's not bad sounding, I just tend to like a V shaped sound with more emphasis on in bass area. Nothing a bit of EQ can't solve for me. If that stays the same way after if get the 200 hours of burn in on both connections, I'll probably stick to the low powered SE connection because the added treble boost isn't that important to me. I'm curious if others have noticed the difference between the two outputs?

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #570 of 8,639
Does somebody know what is the DAC chip used ? Sony does not seem to communicate on this

Also any experience with Sony ier-z1r in balanced mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back