SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,201 of 8,639
Because of the driving power of the EU units. If you are going to pay that much for a DAP, it should be able to drive 120 ohm headphones well. My ZX507 can still drive the HD800 decently well and do a good job with the Z7 m2. The EU units will have non chance.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,202 of 8,639
This new DSEE HX AI is revolutionary. It recovers the atmosphere of live performance.

I am listening to :
Artist: Cold Play
Song title: Yellow (Live)
Album: Live 2012
File info: iTunes Store AAC 256kbps

DSEE seems to allow for better defined spacing between the audience, the band and the singer. There's a better dimensionality to the soundscape, you can sense the depth and height of concert.

Without DSEE, the audience and the band seems blended in and the soundstage seems collapsed.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,203 of 8,639
Because of the driving power of the EU units. If you are going to pay that much for a DAP, it should be able to drive 120 ohm headphones well. My ZX507 can still drive the HD800 decently well and do a good job with the Z7 m2. The EU units will have non chance.

So what I can do now if I Live in EU and wanna Buy zx507 with no volume cap? :disappointed:
And my headphones will be z7m2.

regards,
Simon

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,204 of 8,639
regarding the EU volume cap , i have had the EU ZX2 and managed to get the non-EU ZX2 and the (improved) sound difference was very noticeable

i have since upgraded to the non-eu wm1a and i am always listening to somewhere between 35-50/120 with my CIEMs

and this is on the Low gain option (if i put on the high gain option , the volume settings go even lower to 25-40 or less) so the volume cap thing is very very real (in a bad way)

if you can get the non-volume cap versions of a sony player , please do so

you pay so much money to have a handicapped (power-wise) DAP

just my 2 cents.....

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,205 of 8,639
regarding the EU volume cap , i have had the EU ZX2 and managed to get the non-EU ZX2 and the (improved) sound difference was very noticeable

i have since upgraded to the non-eu wm1a and i am always listening to somewhere between 35-50/120 with my CIEMs

and this is on the Low gain option (if i put on the high gain option , the volume settings go even lower to 25-40 or less) so the volume cap thing is very very real (in a bad way)

if you can get the non-volume cap versions of a sony player , please do so

you pay so much money to have a handicapped (power-wise) DAP

just my 2 cents.....
By "improved" you're referring only to the volume difference?

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #1,206 of 8,639
So what I can do now if I Live in EU and wanna Buy zx507 with no volume cap? :disappointed:

regards,
Simon
Or buy something else that doesn’t suffer the dreaded volume cap.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,207 of 8,639
By "improved" you're referring only to the volume difference?

it's been 3 years since the noneu>eu transition so not much memory , but it was obviously more effortless and had more headroom

i dont know the power of zx500 , i guess it should be fine for iem use

but like i said , why settle for less if you pay top dollar ?

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,208 of 8,639
The EU volume cap is absolutely ****ing dumb. To protect people's hearing ? But the DAP ends up not being able to drive many headphones. This is stupid.

And why is Sony the only brand doing this thing ? All other brands can sell their regular devices in EU without a problem. What's wrong with Sony ?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #1,209 of 8,639

regards,
Simon
Accessoryjack are doing the international version with free (I think) dhl shipping at the moment.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #1,210 of 8,639
The EU volume cap is absolutely ****ing dumb. To protect people's hearing ? But the DAP ends up not being able to drive many headphones. This is stupid.

And why is Sony the only brand doing this thing ? All other brands can sell their regular devices in EU without a problem. What's wrong with Sony ?
The best bit is that the cap only affects the headphone output. Over bluetooth it's unaffected!

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #1,212 of 8,639
it's been 3 years since the noneu>eu transition so not much memory , but it was obviously more effortless and had more headroom

i dont know the power of zx500 , i guess it should be fine for iem use

but like i said , why settle for less if you pay top dollar ?
That's true but I could be paying even more for a non EU model and I was thinking maybe ZX507 will be ok for driving IEMs even with the volume cap, having more power than ZX2, at least balanced - 220 mw vs 15 mw per channel for ZX2.
Now, these 220 mw are in high gain and I understood that in the EU model the high gain is not available but I think even on low gain there will be significant more power than in ZX2.
If someone could help with this info...

Totally agree, is more than stupid.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,213 of 8,639
This new DSEE HX AI is revolutionary. It recovers the atmosphere of live performance.

I am listening to :
Artist: Cold Play
Song title: Yellow (Live)
Album: Live 2012
File info: iTunes Store AAC 256kbps

DSEE seems to allow for better defined spacing between the audience, the band and the singer. There's a better dimensionality to the soundscape, you can sense the depth and height of concert.

Without DSEE, the audience and the band seems blended in and the soundstage seems collapsed.

brudder can share u using simi IEM anot ah?

me like Z1R a lot and quite keen to pair w ZX500 also

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,215 of 8,639
No no..I wanna Sony :relaxed:
I choose between the ZX500 and wm1a

regards,
Simon

Your choice but I don't recommend it. iBasso, Fiio , Hiby and A&K offer better products at similar or lower price points. Especially WM1A is insanely overpriced.

And while Sony is a huge company, these other brands have better customer support and help. There must be a reason why all departments of Sony except PlayStation are losing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back