SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 12, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,156 of 8,639
Mine just came in the mail today. European capped version. Tested Qobuz Hi-Res and the Sony player, and went on to compare it with my ZX2, ZX1 and iPod Touch 7th gen. I can confirm that apps other than Sony's are crippled: Qobuz downloads a 44.1khz version despite me asking Hi-Res (no such behaviour on the iPod Touch, eg).

I can also concur with previous posts that the sound signature fresh without burn-in is, to my ears, analytical and a bit "hot". I used a wired Sony WI-1000X and the Sony XBA-Z5 on the unbalanced output. It reminds me of my ZX1. The ZX2 is warmer and more nuanced, although it is noisier. Will update once I perform more apples-to-apples comparisons, try more headphones (have a Massdrop/Fostex TH-00X which I consider my best cans) and after burn-in.

I own several Sony Walkman DAPs (X1000, Z1000, ZX1, ZX2), am a bit of a fanboy of them. So far I rank the ZX500 below the ZX2, but again, I'll need to wait for burn-in results and test more files and headphones before I pass judgement.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,157 of 8,639
Mine just came in the mail today. European capped version. Tested Qobuz Hi-Res and the Sony player, and went on to compare it with my ZX2, ZX1 and iPod Touch 7th gen. I can confirm that apps other than Sony's are crippled: Qobuz downloads a 44.1khz version despite me asking Hi-Res (no such behaviour on the iPod Touch, eg).

I can also concur with previous posts that the sound signature fresh without burn-in is, to my ears, analytical and a bit "hot". I used a wired Sony WI-1000X and the Sony XBA-Z5 on the unbalanced output. It reminds me of my ZX1. The ZX2 is warmer and more nuanced, although it is noisier. Will update once I perform more apples-to-apples comparisons, try more headphones (have a Massdrop/Fostex TH-00X which I consider my best cans) and after burn-in.

I own several Sony Walkman DAPs (X1000, Z1000, ZX1, ZX2), am a bit of a fanboy of them. So far I rank the ZX500 below the ZX2, but again, I'll need to wait for burn-in results and test more files and headphones before I pass judgement.

what is the point in this device since it cannot stream 24bit/192khz from streaming services. Otherwise I would have purchased it. Extremely disappointed.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,158 of 8,639
what is the point in this device since it cannot stream 24bit/192khz from streaming services. Otherwise I would have purchased it. Extremely disappointed.
For me, the point to having the ZX-507 has been the 4.4mm balanced connection, the player's great sound, a bug/crash-free experience, and a hardware lock switch for the media buttons. If the ZX-507 was my only listening device, the 48khz cap could have possibly turned me away, but listening to music while commuting in the NYC subway I don't exactly discern the subtle nuances of 192khz vs 44.1/48khz. Hopefully you find the perfect device for you. What's so great these days is that there are so many different options and price points to where everyone can find something that they are willing to settle for.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,159 of 8,639
I feel the same way but Sony might unlock the “hi-Rez” option down the road. Maybe they are withholding it for their new signature lineup.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,160 of 8,639
I feel the same way but Sony might unlock the “hi-Rez” option down the road. Maybe they are withholding it for their new signature lineup.
It is the Android OS itself. I know Ibasso has recently opened it up for their flagship Dx220. The Dx160 still have not had it unlocked. So @purk is right, Sony is going to unlock it, just not yet

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,161 of 8,639
My zx507 is almost done with burn in. Just left a few more hours

using the ier-m9 balanced with dsee HX on and dc phase Linearizer on type B low

I feel the sub-bass on the zx507 is like having a well integrated 12inch high powered stereo subwoofer as in It has the same kind impact/slam inside your ear canal. I believe it handles instantaneous high current draw on current hungry iems really well as it never loses dynamics or distorts even when you push the volume to insane levels.

Basshead iem lovers should definitely consider this walkman. I think dynamic driver iems like ex1000 or MDR7550 will truly shine with this walkman. Balanced cable is a must

With DC Linearizer, you can adjust how the bass interact/blend with the lower mids.

Mids are rich sounding and has very slight warmness combine with smooth upper mids that don't get simbliant(unless source material is already sibliant).

Treble is well extended and clear. cymbals can reach ear piercing(on level with ultrasone /akg k3003) levels on certain heavy metal recordings on the IER M9 with it's super tweeter but it stays under control for most music and using sane volume levels.

With dsee hx on, vocals feels more isolated and more present in the music as compared to more mixed inside with dsee turn off. Piano has better overtones and there's improved texture to drum beats with dsee

Soundstage feels like a small studio with treated walls. It doesn't echo like a cave. Stereo seperation and imaging on balanced is top notch. On binaural tracks, if sound object is panned to the extreme right, you won't hear a single bit of sound on left channel. If the object is just slightly off centre, you will hear the change between left and right. With DSEE turn on, live recorded music has a more defined height in soundstaging.

In summary:
At 164grams, this is probably pound for pound, the best sound quality to weight/portability ratio as of 2019.

The "Feeling in the hand" ergonomics is really good. Not bulky and fits small hands easily.
Fits in small pockets & T-shirt pockets easily.

Like all other Sony higher end walkman, it's pretty much *hiss free (for 99% of the sensitive IEMs, *YMMV depending on how sensitive your hearing)

Like all other Sony higher end walkman, it's pretty much immune to EMI/RFI noise pollution

Not neutral sounding, slight warmth overall.

Sub bass has impact and sustains

Rich sibliant free mids (tonality and microdetail retrieval is as good as R2R dac like yggdrasil)

Well extended treble, silky smoothness

Intimate soundstage, pitch black

Super quick sounding amplifer with balanced arm iem, every transient has good attack especially with EDM genre.

Useful DSP that doesn't sound artificial. DSEE HX AI really does Sony's "magical" Software Algorithm based "Remastering" to your music. Youtube/Spotify audio sounds better with it.

Very finely granular volume control that scales linearly and maintains clarity on low volume levels.

Fast charging around 2hours with USB PD

Rock stable Bluetooth and wifi. Bluetooth range is also extremely good(LDAC has much shorter range due to high bitrate, but that's a given with any LDAC devices)

Best Bluetooth source interms of sound quality period.

Balanced connection is required to obtain the best sound out of this walkman. The audio quality jump from SE to BAL is significantly audible for IER M9 due to much improve soundstaging

Scrolling through my sdcard 4000 songs on walkman app has no lag at all(after tweaking). Although album art loads only after you stop scrolling.

Equalizer has alot of levels of adjustments Equalizer doesn't seem to reduce the overall noise floor.

The usb-c port on the walkman is very high quality. There's a very strong and firm click when you plug in the cable.

Much better than Xperia 1's usb-c port.

Database update speed is extremely fast(in relation to other walkmans). Also it doesnt update itself when the player is switched on.

Update is done manually via the walkman app UI.

Bluetooth 5.0 with AAC support means WF-1000XM3 users will get best sound quality out of this ZX500(also A100) walkman(vs older walkman's SBC only codec)

Bad points
3.6 inch screen is too small, the skip forward button on the walkman ui is too close to the repeat button, it's very easy to mis-press.

Brightness adjustment on lowest settings is still way too bright at night.

Software Audio controls like gain control and bluetooth codec quality are hidden in Android settings and not found in sound adjustment UI.

Battery life is not as good as other walkman

16bit 48khz on all Android apps

No search function for walkman app.

Single ended lacks power

Require tweaking android to optimize lag.

Google App is a resource hog. Disabling it is a must

Small 64gb storage for the asking price

Control Buttons are too clumped together. Abit of spacing out would help.

DSEE HX + DC Linear does use alot of battery. It's about 35% to 40% less battery playback time with it on vs Direct Source mode.

If you enable battery saver mode with DSEE HX, the walkman will feel extremely sluggish.

Walkman UI is lazy in updating song art. If you off the screen and change songs, when you turn back on screen, it still shows the old song art that is displayed on screen before turning off and then it updates the album art a few microsecond after.

Charging port can be clumbersome as its located on the top left side the player instead of the usual bottom side like other walkman. You have to leave the flip case open in order to charge the device which leaves your touchscreen more exposed to potential damage/scratches.

Sony could have done more in their help guide to explain about the DC Linearizer and Vinyl Processor selection types.

Can't change wallpaper/background

SD Card tray feels EXTREMELY flimsy. Be extra careful with insertion, it can break or bend out of shape if you miss handle it.

Using Bluetooth or USB audio output won't allow for DSEE or Equalizer.

Firmware updates can be huge in size. The first firmware update came in at 2 GigaBytes. Not sure if it's possible to downgrade firmware like other non-android walkmans. So please do consider carefully when it comes to upgrading firmware, likely it would be impossible to downgrade if you don't like the sound.

Android will likely slowdown overtime, requiring cache/file trash clearing and restarting once in a while(as compared to Sony native walkman OS).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,162 of 8,639

I feel the sub-bass on the zx507 is like having a well integrated 12inch high powered stereo subwoofer as in It has the same kind impact/slam inside your ear canal. I believe it handles instantaneous high current draw on current hungry iems really well as it never loses dynamics or distorts even when you push the volume to insane levels.

Basshead iem lovers should definitely consider this walkman. I think dynamic driver iems like ex1000 or MDR7550 will truly shine with this walkman. Balanced cable is a must

With DC Linearizer, you can adjust how the bass interact/blend with the lower mids.

Mids are rich sounding and has very slight warmness combine with smooth upper mids that don't get simbliant(unless source material is already sibliant).

Treble is well extended and clear. cymbals can reach ear piercing(on level with ultrasone /akg k3003) levels on certain heavy metal recordings on the IER M9 with it's super tweeter but it stays under control for most music and sane volume levels.

With dsee hx on, vocals feels more isolated and more present in the music as compared to more mixed inside with dsee turn off. Piano has better overtones and there's improved texture to drum beats with dsee

Soundstage feels like a small studio with treated walls. It doesn't echo like a cave. Stereo seperation and imaging on balanced is top notch. On binaural tracks, if sound object is panned to the extreme right, you won't a single bit of sound. If the object is just slightly off centre, you will hear the change between left and right. With DSEE turn on, live recorded music has a more defined height in soundstaging.

In summary:
Not neutral sounding
Ample of Sub bass
Rich sibliant free mids
Well extended treble
Intimate soundstage
Useful DSP that doesn't sound artificial
volume control that scales linearly and maintains clarity on low volume levels.
Rock stable Bluetooth and wifi
Best Bluetooth sound quality period.

Bad points
3.6 inch screen is too small
No search function
Single ended lacks power
Require tweaking to optimize lag
thank you for ur review. very detailed. can u compare zx500 sound to zx300 and wm 1A?

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,163 of 8,639
ZX507 is a good DAP at its own but again, there are many better options. ZX507 is too expensive (around US $900) for what it offers. Compared to Hiby R6 Pro ($549) , Fiio M11 Pro ($649) and iBasso DX220 ($881) and many other options buying ZX507 makes zero sense.

I think Sony is completely unaware of the recent DAP competition. I guess no one from Sony ever looked into other DAP products at all. And they use "40th anniversary Walkman" marketing but honestly today's DAP market has nothing to the with the old Walkmans.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,164 of 8,639

Treble is well extended and clear. cymbals can reach ear piercing(on level with ultrasone /akg k3003) levels on certain heavy metal recordings on the IER M9 with it's super tweeter but it stays under control for most music and sane volume levels.

Soundstage feels like a small studio with treated walls. It doesn't echo like a cave. Stereo seperation and imaging on balanced is top notch. On binaural tracks, if sound object is panned to the extreme right, you won't a single bit of sound. If the object is just slightly off centre, you will hear the change between left and right. With DSEE turn on, live recorded music has a more defined height in soundstaging.

In summary:
Not neutral sounding
Sub bass has impact and sustains
Rich sibliant free mids
Well extended treble
Intimate soundstage
Useful DSP that doesn't sound artificial
volume control that scales linearly and maintains clarity on low volume levels.
Rock stable Bluetooth and wifi
Best Bluetooth sound quality period.

Bad points
3.6 inch screen is too small
No search function
Single ended lacks power
Require tweaking to optimize lag
I am, sorry, u have already told me that u can't listen to zx300.
I am collecting all reviews to make a decision what walkman to buy. zx300 or zx500
I am trying to figure out whether or not sq improvements and sound signature changes worse extra $250-300, shorter battery life and the absence of DAC mode.
there is no opportunity to listen to zx300 or zx500 in Ukraine, unfortunately

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,165 of 8,639
ZX507 is a good DAP at its own but again, there are many better options. ZX507 is too expensive (around US $900) for what it offers. Compared to Hiby R6 Pro ($549) , Fiio M11 Pro ($649) and iBasso DX220 ($881) and many other options buying ZX507 makes zero sense.

I think Sony is completely unaware of the recent DAP competition. I guess no one from Sony ever looked into other DAP products at all. And they use "40th anniversary Walkman" marketing but honestly today's DAP market has nothing to the with the old Walkmans.
I think Sony offers superior sound quality.
I listened to 2 DAPs. AK 100 (selling for $1700-1800 in Ukraine) and sony nm wm1A (selling for $1200).
sony sounded incomparably better.
and zx300 and zx500 models (as I understand) are smaller versions on wm1A/1Z DAPs, which SQ is only slightly worse.
but sony with its zx series offers u a truly portable devise. all other DAPs are too huge to be put in the pocket.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,167 of 8,639

I look forward for a post burn-in comparison.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,169 of 8,639
Sony should create Flagship Xperia/Walkman Hybrid:
4K OLED with S-Master HX + FTCAP2 + DSEE HX AI

Oh wait.. It's a SONY fanboy's un-realistic demand on SONY, the most inflexible company that has many divisions and employees that fight among themselves and won't co-operate as a whole.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,170 of 8,639
Sony should create Flagship Xperia/Walkman Hybrid:
4K OLED with S-Master HX + FTCAP2 + DSEE HX AI

Oh wait.. It's a SONY fanboy's un-realistic demand on SONY, the most inflexible company that has many divisions and employees that fight among themselves and won't co-operate as a whole.
I also want a total of two (2) microSD slots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back