SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #1,066 of 8,639
I'm new to hi-res audio "all around" and I'm not an audiophile, recently I have bought the Sony Wh1000Xm3 but the audio seems muffled and the eq doesn't work with ldac that freeze audio many times, at the end of fact every bluetooth sound are not a good perspective... I play most synthvave, pop and elettronica, but also post rock and metal. What I'm looking for is headphones + dap that project me into the music, real, spatial and detailed. I want to step up so I ordered the Sony Mdr-Z7m2 (closed because I'm a train traveler) and now I'm not sure if the pairing with Nw-zx500 is the best choice... I seeing also the Fiio M11pro (seems a brick..) or M8 (more portable)... Looking for advices from you guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,067 of 8,639
I'm new to hi-res audio "all around" and I'm not an audiophile, recently I have bought the Sony Wh1000Xm3 but the audio seems muffled and the eq doesn't work with ldac, at the end of fact every bluetooth sound are not a good perspective... I play most synthvave, pop and elettronica, but also post rock and metal. What I'm looking for is headphones + dap that project me into the music, real, spatial and detailed. I want to step up so I ordered the Sony Mdr-Z7m2 (closed because I'm a train traveler) and now I'm not sure if the pairing with Nw-zx500 is the best choice... I seeing also the Fiio M11pro (seems a brick..) or M8 (more portable)... Looking for advices from you guys. Thanks.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-71#post-15349700
You can read my post, IMO ZX500 is not the best DAP to buy now. Fiio M11 Pro and many DAPs such as iBasso DX220, Hiby R6 Pro , Astell Kernn etc are simply better. ZX500's only advantage is its compact size while these DAPs offer much more advanced software and hardware.

I've been in the closed back market for a year and I wouldn't recommend the Sony MDR-Z7M2 either. I own Focal Elegia and it has the best isolation and sound quality.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,068 of 8,639
I'm new to hi-res audio "all around" and I'm not an audiophile, recently I have bought the Sony Wh1000Xm3 but the audio seems muffled and the eq doesn't work with ldac that freeze audio many times, at the end of fact every bluetooth sound are not a good perspective... I play most synthvave, pop and elettronica, but also post rock and metal. What I'm looking for is headphones + dap that project me into the music, real, spatial and detailed. I want to step up so I ordered the Sony Mdr-Z7m2 (closed because I'm a train traveler) and now I'm not sure if the pairing with Nw-zx500 is the best choice... I seeing also the Fiio M11pro (seems a brick..) or M8 (more portable)... Looking for advices from you guys. Thanks.

What is your budget and how far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go.. :) You have endless possibilities.

General speaking, spend more money on headphones and less on daps. Most daps from around 400 usd and up have very good sound quality. I agree with the above post the ZX500 is too expensive for what you get. Fiio, IBasso and HiBy make less expensive daps with the same or better sound quality. If you want to spend, Cayin N6II comes highly recommended, top quality dap.

Regarding headphones, take a look at Denon D9200, yes it's expensive at 1500 usd but it's one of the best closed back headphones available today. It's more or less on the same level as Focal Stellia for half the price. It has exactly what you want, clarity, detail, separation and a low end, few other headphones can match.

Sometimes it's worth going direct to the top :) Good luck and sorry for your wallet.

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,069 of 8,639
No problem men, thank you but my wallet don't have a similar budget. I found the Z7 at 550 € (I'm european) and for the dap I can't pay more than 900, for me now it is all that I can afford... Denon D9200 and Focal Elegia are a dream but for me those need a big investment.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #1,070 of 8,639
No problem men, thank you but my wallet don't have a similar budget. I found the Z7 at 550 € (I'm european) and for the dap I can't pay more than 900, for me now it is all that I can afford... Denon D9200 and Focal Elegia are a dream but for me those need a big investment.

ZX507+ Z7 Headphones cost you €1380 (830 + 550). Instead, you can get Fiio M11 Pro + Focal Elegia for $1219 (649 + 570 , Elegia is at discount) https://www.amazon.com/Focal-Audiophile-Circum-Aural-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B07J5MDMTQ/
Or get M11 and save $200 more, it is almost as good as the PRO version and IMO still better than the ZX507.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,071 of 8,639
You can read my post, IMO ZX500 is not the best DAP to buy now. Fiio M11 Pro and many DAPs such as iBasso DX220, Hiby R6 Pro , Astell Kernn etc are simply better. ZX500's only advantage is its compact size while these DAPs offer much more advanced software and hardware.

I've been in the closed back market for a year and I wouldn't recommend the Sony MDR-Z7M2 either. I own Focal Elegia and it has the best isolation and sound quality.

Wouldn't go that far at all. The ZX507 isn't perfect by any means, I personally find the lack of USB DAC a bummer but it's not as simple as specs vs specs with DAPs.

The M11 Pro doesn't have Play Store access and isn't usable with sensitive IEMs. The noise floor is just too high. The Hiby R6 Pro has the same issue and appears to be a crap shoot in the quality department. Astell&Kern don't even have a DAP in this price range and I personally compared the SE100 vs the 507 and went with the 507.

If you want to chase bits and Tidal is all you use, this might not be the DAP for you but it's not as simple as comparing spec sheets and software in this hobby.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,072 of 8,639
The Sony screen and keyboard is too slim. I would make typos too often. It took me about 8 tries to set the wifi password for example.

Slim display is not premium - screen real estate is. It's a relief to go back to my lead weight Hiby R6 Pro - I can see and type again.

Wide and light weight - that would good.

Mens shirt pocket wide would be perfect for me with an edge to edge screen.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,073 of 8,639
One feature that is not found in other DAP is Sony's DSEE HX. What I find is that with ZX507's implementation of the DSEE HX at 32bit 192KHz upsampling is that they have really achieved the claims in the quote below,
Although this DSP feature does impact battery life significantly, I find it's worthwhile to switch on as it really provides a significant improvement to the sound(better imaging and soundstage along with better microdetails and texturing). Think of it as Dolby Atmos for Cinema but Sony's Audiophile implementation that doesn't sound artificial.

You’ll be able to notice the difference most obviously in the areas below:

• Expansion and depth of the sound field, or in the size of the performance area (such as in large concert halls compared to studios) – you can feel it with the applause of an audience, afterglow of instruments or atmosphere.
  • Clarity of the position and separation of each instrument
  • Vividness or presence of the performance
You’re better able to imagine and feel the experience of a performance in its original space. You don’t need to focus on specific instruments or sound. You can just relax and enjoy the whole piece of music.

One of our development engineers explains it as below:

“24bit depth allows you to reproduce faint sound like a reverberation of the vocal that couldn’t be expressed in 16bit. Live sounds often have random fluctuations that convey the atmosphere in the concert hall. DSEE HX™ can grasp even those fluctuations and recover the original data, so you would feel the expansion of the sound field with natural presence.”

https://blogs.sonymobile.com/2016/0...x-with-audio-engineer-kenichi-matsumoto/#gref

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,074 of 8,639

And its sound signature which is main thing IMO. Had or tried most of those above and with all their bells & whistles I still stick with the Sony for the SQ. If your ear/headphones are within its capabilities even streamed media down samples to 16/48 still sound great and obviously your own tracks are bit perfect.

Got a Dragonfly Cobalt coming tomorrow (or Tuesday) so will see how that compares but I'm enjoying the new Sony range even more than the Mojo.

Also have a Fiio BTR5 due next week too :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,075 of 8,639
I have a Plussound LDAC capable neck band for my iems on its way. Can't wait.

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,076 of 8,639
And its sound signature which is main thing IMO. Had or tried most of those above and with all their bells & whistles I still stick with the Sony for the SQ. If your ear/headphones are within its capabilities even streamed media down samples to 16/48 still sound great and obviously your own tracks are bit perfect.

Got a Dragonfly Cobalt coming tomorrow (or Tuesday) so will see how that compares but I'm enjoying the new Sony range even more than the Mojo.

Also have a Fiio BTR5 due next week too :slight_smile:
Discordant opinions here? I would know more about the Zx500 compared with the others... I’ve understand the amp is not so powered but really not so powered? And the down samples seems not so bad like Atahanuz said? I have also the Dragonfly Red paired with Audiotechnica ATX-M50X on my pc and sounds really good but I’m looking for a lot more engaging sound experience with a portable audio set when my Z7 will arrive... Maybe do I asking too much with a low budget? I seeing the iBasso Dx220 and seems a great dap but sadly have poor battery life and seems that all this audiophile daps are not designed for the best portability with sharp edges and rough vertex, but if I need to play music at home I can bring more dac...

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,077 of 8,639
Discordant opinions here? I would know more about the Zx500 compared with the others... I’ve understand the amp is not so powered but really not so powered? And the down samples seems not so bad like Atahanuz said? I have also the Dragonfly Red paired with Audiotechnica ATX-M50X on my pc and sounds really good but I’m looking for a lot more engaging sound experience with a portable audio set when my Z7 will arrive... Maybe do I asking too much with a low budget? I seeing the iBasso Dx220 and seems a great dap but sadly have poor battery life and seems that all this audiophile daps are not designed for the best portability with sharp edges and rough vertex, but if I need to play music at home I can bring more dac...

To help you better, what is your total budget for headphone + DAP ?

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,079 of 8,639
Personally, I prefer an amplifier to be somewhat overpowered if I intend to use it with a full-size headphone like the M7. I’ve never heard a headphone that doesn’t sound just a little better if there is some overhead (unused) power available.

Do you definitely need a DAP, or would a DAC/Amp work? If you could settle for a DAC/Amp, then the Sony PHA-2A is a terrific option. Great Sony sound signature, 3.5mm stereo and 4.4mm balanced outputs, and more than enough power to run anything Sony makes... I used it with the MDR-Z1R, and it was great.

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,080 of 8,639
FD93A46D-8918-4570-9DF1-9CFF235DE5ED.jpeg

Now I have to deal with that 200-hours recommended capacitors in period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back