SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #5,821 of 8,639
Ok so normally, because the ZX507 doesn't have a line out, you would need and "aux" input so that the preamp section of an integrated amp or preamp knows it's a weak signal coming in and can preamp it properly. Those are usually found on basic consumer audio and as expected, the A90 does not have it.

The A90 is an amp expecting a fully preamplified signal which the ZX507 can't do properly. The A90 seems to be able to act as a preamp, the irony! If you really want to try this, you can try a 3.5mm to dual RCA interconnect first because they are cheap so if it doesn't work out well, minimal losses. If the signal is too weak for the amp, you might want to try a 4.4mm male to dual 3 pin xlr interconnect but those are likely more expensive. Results are still not guaranteed, keep that in mind.
Thanks - appreciate you looking into that.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5,822 of 8,639
Under what conditions does this happen?

Do you have Battery saver on?
have you done the tweaks? maybe you turned something off essential to the walkman?

I ask because this is very unusual behavior. Mine works ok with screen off.

I don't have the battery saver on. I updated the firmware to version 3 and did a factory reset afterwards, but the problem still exists and is very annoying. I experience this issue from the very first start, but expected to be solved through updates.

I contacted Sony and after a couple of emails back and forth, they've sent me a repair service link. :rolling_eyes: I hope they will not induce any scratches or something like that or I will experience aftermaths due to the "repair". :worried:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #5,823 of 8,639
Ok so normally, because the ZX507 doesn't have a line out, you would need and "aux" input so that the preamp section of an integrated amp or preamp knows it's a weak signal coming in and can preamp it properly. Those are usually found on basic consumer audio and as expected, the A90 does not have it.

The A90 is an amp expecting a fully preamplified signal which the ZX507 can't do properly. The A90 seems to be able to act as a preamp, the irony! If you really want to try this, you can try a 3.5mm to dual RCA interconnect first because they are cheap so if it doesn't work out well, minimal losses. If the signal is too weak for the amp, you might want to try a 4.4mm male to dual 3 pin xlr interconnect but those are likely more expensive. Results are still not guaranteed, keep that in mind.

Yes, the signal is not as loud as using a single ended dac, which typically provides 2V to the amp, even with the volume on the ZX507 cranked up to 120 on high gain using a 4.4mm to dual 3-pin xlr cable into the amp. I'll have to test again, but I don't think there was much of a difference in volume level with the 3.5mm HPO vs the 4.4mm HPO. I just stuck with balanced because you lose DSD output with the 3.5mm HPO. I actually like the fact that the signal out of the ZX507 is a bit weaker because that works really well with the Liquid Platinum, which doesn't have low gain. And I don't detect any distortion at all cranking the volume to 120 on high gain, although with the LP I typically set the volume to 90ish. Give it a shot!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #5,824 of 8,639
Yes, the signal is not as loud as using a single ended dac, which typically provides 2V to the amp, even with the volume on the ZX507 cranked up to 120 on high gain using a 4.4mm to dual 3-pin xlr cable into the amp. I'll have to test again, but I don't think there was much of a difference in volume level with the 3.5mm HPO vs the 4.4mm HPO. I just stuck with balanced because you lose DSD output with the 3.5mm HPO. I actually like the fact that the signal out of the ZX507 is a bit weaker because that works really well with the Liquid Platinum, which doesn't have low gain. And I don't detect any distortion at all cranking the volume to 120 on high gain, although with the LP I typically set the volume to 90ish. Give it a shot!
Great. The A90 is a very powerful ss amp but does have 3 gain level options. I'll grab a 4.4 to dual xlr and give it a try. I think I saw one for $39.99 on Amazon which isn't too bad.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #5,825 of 8,639
Liking the sound of the Hiby R3 Pro and my iPad Air 3 better from the usb to the Hip DAC than the ZX507 after some attentive listening over a period of weeks. ZX507 still rules the roost of course directly from the 4.4 mm output though. I think both the Hip DAC and the ZX507 are kind of warm, and that’s why they’re not a good match, not enough bite together

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #5,826 of 8,639
Liking the sound of the Hiby R3 Pro and my iPad Air 3 better from the usb to the Hip DAC than the ZX507 after some attentive listening over a period of weeks. ZX507 still rules the roost of course directly from the 4.4 mm output though. I think both the Hip DAC and the ZX507 are kind of warm, and that’s why they’re not a good match, not enough bite together
Surely if you're using it as a digital transport, there would be no sound processing from the Sony involved?

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #5,827 of 8,639
Using the USB out means

1)the Sony eq is disabled.

2) Battery Power can run out

I currently use a chromecast audio network (which has its own issues) to connect with my main hifi set up in my living room.

Buy now the Sony eq works on Bluetooth out, I might look at a hardware LDAC Bluetooth reciever. This way I can keep the 507 powered and playing.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #5,828 of 8,639
Surely if you're using it as a digital transport, there would be no sound processing from the Sony involved?

That would seem the case, but all of my sources sound a bit different to me when connected to the Hip DAC

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5,829 of 8,639
That would seem the case, but all of my sources sound a bit different to me when connected to the Hip DAC

Interesting... do you think the ZX507 as a digital transport is warmer than other DAPs?

I'm interested in a comparison between using the ZX507 as a digital transport into an external DAC into an external amp for full sized headphones vs connecting the ZX507 directly to the amp via 4.4mm or 3.5mm HPO with max volume on the DAP.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #5,830 of 8,639
Interesting... do you think the ZX507 as a digital transport is warmer than other DAPs?

I'm interested in a comparison between using the ZX507 as a digital transport into an external DAC into an external amp for full sized headphones vs connecting the ZX507 directly to the amp via 4.4mm or 3.5mm HPO with max volume on the DAP.

I only tested the ZX507 against my R3 Pro, so that’s the only DAP I can compare it too with regards to the USB out. I wouldn’t say the ZX507 is overly warm though in comparison to the R3 Pro. I just found the R3 Pro/Hip DAC a slightly better match with my HD6XX. With a more neutral set of headphones I may have preferred the ZX507/Hip DAC combo. So impressions will depend on all of the gear used in the stream

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #5,831 of 8,639
Can someone please confirm the power output of the capped ZX507?

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5,832 of 8,639
From the UK sony site:

3.5mm: MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).
4.4mm MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).

In comparison with the Canadian site:
3.5mm: MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 50 mW + 50 mW (High Gain)
4.4mm MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 200 mW + 200 mW (High Gain)

Seems almost too low to be true but those are the Sony numbers.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5,833 of 8,639
Can someone please confirm the power output of the capped ZX507?
The UK version output does not make any sense to me, as it seems too low, even for a capped version, but below is what is on the web site.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...t=Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω,-1.1mW (32Ω).
UK version
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).

Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).

HK version
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)50mW+50mW (High Gain)

Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)200mW+200mW (High Gain)

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5,834 of 8,639
I had the UK model (twice) on trial.

At near maximum volume it was fine with my Empire Ears Nemesis iems. At one point I decided that would be OK. But when I plugged in my Bose QC20 3.5mm I couldn't get them nearly loud enough.

So I sent the units back.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #5,835 of 8,639
Yeah I haven't heard the capped version but I trust you, twice! :) The ZX507 non capped version I have is already quite low powered compared to today's DAP offering and this capped version just does not make any sense to me at all. Go international or get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back