SONY NW-ZX100
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #166 of 3,849
Not all do. I've heard enough of them, and on a plane, pretty much necessary for long haul flights. IEMs are not comfortable for 12+ hour flights - even custom.

I've worn custom on 12+ hour flights and have been fine. Sure I might take them off to let my ears 'breathe' for a bit. Perhaps it comes down to how well they fit?

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #167 of 3,849
I think the ZX100 is a profit consolidating product for Sony. They added in noise canceling, but omitted Android, wifi, and the touchscreen. To compare: the Samsung S6 costs $290 to make, of which $85 goes into the display and touchscreen components (http://www.ibtimes.com/samsungs-799-galaxy-s6-edge-costs-more-build-pricier-iphone-6-plus-1883402) The ZX100 also seems to share most electric characteristics of the ZX1: non double ground output, no supercapacitor, on the promo pictures I see 4 OS-CON caps (like the ZX1), no gold plated copper plating in the aluminium chassis, no MELF capacitors. They do mention the PCB and soldering improvements - which it would share with the ZX2. It would be logical to keep these common in the Malaysian production line.

Sony has been pushing 3 niche Walkman "hero" products (Z1000, ZX1, ZX2) with big pricetags but low sales volumes. It makes sense that Sony makes a more economically viable product like the ZX100. In a year, they can drastically slash prices to keep it in their line-up (I'm thinking $300-$450) to then make room for a ZX2 successor (which may be an incremental ZX3, or, what I think is more likely, a completely new product with MQS and native DSD).

I do think the sound of the ZX100 will be very good - at least on par with the ZX1 and probably tuned more closely to the ZX2 through their in-house OS.

PS: Sony calls the ZX100 "Best Sound Quality Bluetooth MP3 Player" in the title of its website. Compare the ZX2 whose title is "Portable MP3 Hi-Res Digital Music Player". It's probably just marketing talk, but still - interesting to note.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #168 of 3,849
Yep, the audio circuit of ZX100 is very similar to ZX1, but does have improvements.

In pics below you can see two thick film SMD's in ZX1 S-MasterHX output path that have been replaced by better thin film SMD's in the ZX100, plus you have the the 99% tin solder in the ZX100. There also might be other improvements outside the borders of this picture.

ZX100 is not on ZX2 level hardware wise, it is essentially an improved hardware revision of ZX1, so should sound better than ZX1 while costing same price as ZX1 was previously sold for, sounds like a good deal to me. 

Also, I reckon ZX100 will have a different sound signature, somewhere between ZX1 and ZX2 sound style, which could very well become many peoples favorite out of the three. I'm going to buy a ZX100 as I quite enjoyed the ZX1 sound sig, I look forward to hear the improvements and new sound sig.

ZX100

ZX1

ZX2

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #169 of 3,849
Tha's why i said maybe similar soundng but not much to zx2, much lik A3 is similar to Z5 but by a margin so minimal

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #171 of 3,849
  Do the number of capacitors make the crucial difference in the sound quality or could other small/big implementations in the zx100 board win the war in its favor vs ZX2.Just curious.

i have the same question too and also if the two clocks in the zx2 (one for 48KHz and the other for 44.1KHz multiples) do make a difference really?

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #172 of 3,849
Indeed, thin film SMD resistors should have lower noise, and are also more expensive. I agree the ZX100 is a ZX1 hardware revision. Outside published photos there could be other changes, but considering the price, the PCB, soldering and SMDs sound like changes which would deliver better SQ, but would be "within budget". I guess we'll find out around Xmas/early 2016. I also expect a Z7/Z5 update by that time or somewhere in 2016 (I'm guessing at CES). Considering the noise canceling technology I bet it may be Bluetooth/LDAC and NC-enabled Z7/Z5 models. Or - more likely - a MDR-EX1000 successor meant to compete with the AKG k3003i.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #173 of 3,849
  Do the number of capacitors make the crucial difference in the sound quality or could other small/big implementations in the zx100 board win the war in its favor vs ZX2.Just curious.

There is aspects such as power supply, where ZX1 is supporting an android system which is drawing more current than ZX100, could actually negatively affect ZX1 sound quality, that's why ZX2 introduced a super capacitor to keep power supply stable, while ZX100 which has lower baseline current requirements means the audio circuit could sound better than ZX1, essentially reducing the need for a super capacitor in ZX100 due to reduced current requirement.

But as far as the actual audio circuit design of ZX100 imo it will be essentially same as ZX1 but with a couple components exchanged for better components.

Although a difference will arise in their digital implementation due to Sony OS vs android, so ZX100 could possibly be better in this crucial aspect which affects sound.

I do think the ZX100 will be a decent upgrade over ZX1, not just a tiny improvement.

i have the same question too and also if the two clocks in the zx2 (one for 48KHz and the other for 44.1KHz multiples) do make a difference really?

Every little step towards hardware perfection does make a little difference, including the additional clocks if you are listening to music that utilizes the clocks frequency. In isolation it would be a tiny tiny difference, but each little thing adds up to make a great sounding device.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #174 of 3,849

There is aspects such as power supply, where ZX1 is supporting an android system which is drawing more current than ZX100, could actually negatively affect ZX1 sound quality, that's why ZX2 introduced a super capacitor to keep power supply stable, while ZX100 which has lower baseline current requirements means the audio circuit could sound better than ZX1, essentially reducing the need for a super capacitor in ZX100 due to reduced current requirement.

But as far as the actual audio circuit design of ZX100 imo it will be essentially same as ZX1 but with a couple components exchanged for better components.

Although a difference will arise in their digital implementation due to Sony OS vs android, so ZX100 could possibly be better in this crucial aspect which affects sound.

I do think the ZX100 will be a decent upgrade over ZX1, not just a tiny improvement.

Every little step towards hardware perfection does make a little difference, including the additional clocks if you are listening to music that utilizes the clocks frequency. In isolation it would be a tiny tiny difference, but each little thing adds up to make a great sounding device.

Thanks for clearing all this up :) seems this little guy will be a great worth-of-it buy, if i already "tasted" the A10 series, i can expoect a huge jump in SQ with this babe, haha my dad told me you don't have dog ears ... when i told him i was planning on selling some of my gear to get this

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #175 of 3,849
  Thanks for clearing all this up :) seems this little guy will be a great worth-of-it buy, if i already "tasted" the A10 series, i can expoect a huge jump in SQ with this babe, haha my dad told me you don't have dog ears ... when i told him i was planning on selling some of my gear to get this

All the hardware improvements do add up, but I'd be careful in expecting a "huge jump" in SQ. I have all the previous flagships (X, Z, ZX1 and ZX2) and although the differences are all noticeable, I feel the price increases haven't always been justifiable. Headphones and other variables like device/headphone burn-in, listening environment and your own personal music preferences all have a big impact on your listening experience.

Having said that, yes I do agree the ZX100 will be a step-up from the A10/20 series.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #176 of 3,849
a bit off-topic guys, well this is my first experience selling in sites like ebay (yeah in ebay and mexican copycats)

how hard is to sell used stuff f.e my XBA-H3, a bose soundDock for older ipods (classics) and a fiio x3 DAP and in the future my A10, by hard i meant how long takes to seel a "niche" product in those sites...

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #177 of 3,849
  a bit off-topic guys, well this is my first experience selling in sites like ebay (yeah in ebay and mexican copycats)

how hard is to sell used stuff f.e my XBA-H3, a bose soundDock for older ipods (classics) and a fiio x3 DAP and in the future my A10, by hard i meant how long takes to seel a "niche" product in those sites...

Why not use the For Sale forum here? I've had great (though limited) experience with it. On Ebay, it all depends how you present it and how you make your description. Also a realistic pricepoint (ie, 10-15% lower than other offers) helps to speed up sales or to at least get more attention.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #178 of 3,849
Been on the IFA today. I could listen to the ZX100 and my ZX1 using my IE800. To me they sound similar. I could compare one Paul Simon song "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" that was on the ZX 100 and on my own player. Both sounded fantastic, no difference to me. The build quality is the big difference. Where the ZX1 comes in a aluminum unibody, the ZX100 is made of sheet metal. Here I see no need to upgrade from my ZX1. It is made like a high end device should be the ZX100 feels like it will just make the warranty time.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #179 of 3,849

Why not use the For Sale forum here? I've had great (though limited) experience with it. On Ebay, it all depends how you present it and how you make your description. Also a realistic pricepoint (ie, 10-15% lower than other offers) helps to speed up sales or to at least get more attention.

forgot i am using te forums here too

Hope the screen of the zx100 is protected by a Glass panel and not by a plastic panel like in the A10

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #180 of 3,849
Output (headphones) Frequency response: 20 to 40,000 Hz; Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/m): 15mW+15mW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back