SONY NW-ZX100
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,896 of 3,849
  After searching high and low for weeks I've finally got hold of a new ZX100 for the equivalent of $USD450.
L3000.gif
 [ Most places here in Australia are asking the equivalent of $USD600 new although one place offers them for the equivalent of $USD505.  I see Amazon has them at a good price.]  It has been bought for me by a friend at Singapore Airport but I will not see him to collect it for a few days yet.  He searched high and low at downtown Singapore but they were not stocked anywhere he went.

So I'm ending up a firm supporter of Sony's better Walkmans.
The A17 has a mix of pop and popular classics on its 64GB + 200GB card.  I got another A25 (after foolishly selling another earlier) and its 25GB + 128GB has pop only on board.  The ZX100 will only have serious classical on its 128GB + 200GB.  The music is all ready to download into the player when I get it.  The card is filled up already.

Why 3 Walkmans?  I'm lazy and cannot be bothered changing cards so have different music on the three so the daily mood is easily met. 
regular_smile .gif

I had flirted with an A&K Jnr but disliked its operating system so sold it for what it cost (used) after only a few days ownership.  Is see reports differ, one saying the A&K Jnr gives better AQ than the ZX100 while another report says the opposite.  IMHO Sony has done the right thing in the ZX100 by not using android.  I see that system on the Z2 is not that great anyway.

I too use different Walkman's for different 'uses' and moods.
I have a 'lone' A15 encased in a Dignis case for when I want to go light, loaded with a variety of rock, pop and classical. I use another A15 purely as a transport bundled with my Chord Hugo, for when I'm more than happy to change cards for serious/lengthy listening.
My ZX100 is loaded with 300GB of high-res classical music, and my ZX2 is purely for rock, pop and streaming.
And they all get used, which even surprises me sometimes! 
gs1000.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,897 of 3,849
Use LDAC when using/interfacing with LDAC-compatible Sony headphones, if you use them. I use it with my MDR-1ABT's.
It's meant to be better than Apt-X, but I'm not entirely convinced...

It certainly is better I have those headphones and they sound awesome with LDAC

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,899 of 3,849
I have a 'lone' A15 encased in a Dignis case for when I want to go light, loaded with a variety of rock, pop and classical. I use another A15 purely as a transport bundled with my Chord Hugo, for when I'm more than happy to change cards for serious/lengthy listening.
My ZX100 is loaded with 300GB of high-res classical music, and my ZX2 is purely for rock, pop and streaming.
gs1000.gif

Wow, impressive.

Now tell us, do you honestly distinguish much difference between the ZX100 and ZX2?  If so please describe those differences and how big/significant (maybe for different music types?)  you find them.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,900 of 3,849
why not just use SD cards? And keep the music that you won't change frequently in the 128GB. Every 5 months I fill both memories

Yes, that is the sensible alternative.

However using different players avoids that card changing messing around and, more importantly, avoids the long load up time needed, especially with the 200GB cards.

So, some of us are too lazy/impatient to always be sensible.  Anyway, many of my friends and rellies would not class me owning just one of the A17, A25 or ZX100s, as being sensible when they could achieve music, at a level OK for them :)" I cannot hear the difference") on a cheaper player or phone.

Horses for courses (at the risk of being seen as a donkey)!

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,901 of 3,849
gs1000.gif

Wow, impressive.

Now tell us, do you honestly distinguish much difference between the ZX100 and ZX2?  If so please describe those differences and how big/significant (maybe for different music types?)  you find them.

To my ears, the ZX2 and ZX100 sound identical. The only differences are in the UI and streaming capability, and use with Android apps such as Qobuz and Tidal etc.
I actually think that the ZX100 is a 'better buy'. Better VFM, and I also love the simple UI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #2,902 of 3,849
why not just use SD cards? And keep the music that you won't change frequently in the 128GB. Every 5 months I fill both memories

Yes, that is the sensible alternative.

However using different players avoids that card changing messing around and, more importantly, avoids the long load up time needed, especially with the 200GB cards.

So, some of us are too lazy/impatient to always be sensible.  Anyway, many of my friends and rellies would not class me owning just one of the A17, A25 or ZX100s, as being sensible when they could achieve music, at a level OK for them :)" I cannot hear the difference") on a cheaper player or phone.

Horses for courses (at the risk of being seen as a donkey)!

Changing a MicroSD card in a ZX2 is a PIA. Getting hold of it is hard enough, and then you almost lose it when you pull it out. Keep it in, I say. And then just buy another player... ;-(

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #2,903 of 3,849
Changing a MicroSD card in a ZX2 is a PIA. Getting hold of it is hard enough, and then you almost lose it when you pull it out. Keep it in, I say. And then just buy another player... ;-(

Soon after I purchased the A17, I bought a lovely leather protective cover for it but soon discovered it was a liability if you wanted to change cards as it was a real PIA to get the player in and out of the leather.  Those cheap plastic covers are far better and do the protection job fine.

When I flirted with getting the A&K Jnr I sold the A25 I had but later regretted it when the A&K proved a disappointment and was sold.  But I struck lucky and picked up a used A25 last week for the equivalent of $USD99, actually less than what I got for the other (new) A25.  It does not have the original box but seems to work OK so has not been a burden on the budget and justifies hanging on to so many headphones, with each connected to a player or system.
wink_face.gif

It is amazing the "reasons" we can dream up to justify owning a multiplicity of audio toys.  That said, it is nowhere near the cost of having numerous toys in a larger speaker/amplifier system.   That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,904 of 3,849
To my ears, the ZX2 and ZX100 sound identical. The only differences are in the UI and streaming capability, and use with Android apps such as Qobuz and Tidal etc.
I actually think that the ZX100 is a 'better buy'. Better VFM, and I also love the simple UI.

Thank you for the honest and swift reply.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly re the non android operating system.  The slow android OS was something I really hated about the A&R Jnr.  IMHO SONY have nailed it beautifully in the A series and I understand it is much the same in the ZX100.  It epitomises the KISS principle.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,906 of 3,849
Media go has a bug when importing playlists to a device.

Transferred a playlist "froberger playlist" then added a new album to it in Edia go and retransmitted the playlist to the device and it is duplicated in Media go >Walkman > playlists (two times froberger Playlist) in my zx100 when browsing music >playlists appears only once but it has the new album missing on the playlist froberger (the album appears on album browser)

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,907 of 3,849
1. Added the Jakob Froberger albums in my library to a playlist names like the composer "Jakob Froberger" and Maße a backup of it on my hard drive as m3u8 I think
2. Formatted my microSD card on the ZX100 and transfered the playlist in medoaGO using the SD card adapter on my laptop slot.
3. Yesterday ripped a new CD of froberger and added it to my library and to the playlist
4. Transferred the froberger playlist once updated to my zx100 SD card once again using the slot on the laptop to speed transfer and it seemed to update the card and I saw the duped playlist
5. Ejected Walkman card expecting to see a duplicate playlist and instead saw it once and the new CD rip was missing on the playlist enumeration but the rip is present on all the library views on my zx100, I checked all songs, artists, genre, albums, year and folder and is there

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #2,908 of 3,849

HEAD-FI IS SO BUGGY WITH EDGE/INTERNET EXPLORER ON WINDOWS 10 so i will double post until i can really click edit post and not crashing

BUG SOLUTION

1. Delete the duplicate playlists on the device
  2. Readd the playlist, for this you must go to the playlist view on media go library NOT DEVICE, click on the desired playlist and either click add this playlist to: area or righ click Add to... (marked in blue on the picture)
  3. Make sure you have sufficient space for untrasferred songs as if one song fails to transfer the playlist wont be added to the walkman

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,909 of 3,849
Sigh, will this "upgrading" ever stop?
confused_face_2.gif

Intrigued by references to the Headstage Arrow amp I did some research and ended up convinced I had to have one to go with the ZX100.
L3000.gif
 Searching for used units revealed they kept their prices so well it was more worthwhile buying new and hopefully a more mature product.  So I've ordered and paid for a new 6NX from Robert but Have no idea how long it will take to materialise.  Anyone have any idea of the current waiting time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back