SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #45,677 of 45,723
Hey Everyone,

It seems that things have gone a bit awry and off-topic from the intended in this thread, and we’re taking some time to review what’s going on here at Head-Fi HQ. It’s going to take us some time to review everything — both posts of members and moderator actions — in at least a couple of threads. Admittedly, we’re playing a bit of catch-up here, so may take some time to do this.A couple of things to mention:
  • Per the Rules and Terms of Use, we do not allow non-Sponsor Members of the Trade to post what could reasonably be considered advertising or promotion of their goods and services. As Nayparm is a Member of the Trade, we’ll look over his post history and review any moderator actions taken.

• We’ve noticed from the thread that there seems to be comments and rumor that Music Sanctuary is somehow involved in any moderation decision, and that is not the case. The only thing Music Sanctuary contacted us about was to tell us they were unable to post, their profile’s posts being held in the moderator queue. We’re not sure how that happened, but we fixed that and they are able to post now.
Again, we’re reviewing everything here on this issue, and we’re asking for some calm here to allow us to read over everything. Let’s bring this thread back to discussing the Sony NW-WM1Z/A while we look into everything.

Thanks, everyone.

Best Regards,
Joe
Co-Administrator, Head-Fi.org

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #45,678 of 45,723
Hey Everyone,

It seems that things have gone a bit awry and off-topic from the intended in this thread, and we’re taking some time to review what’s going on here at Head-Fi HQ. It’s going to take us some time to review everything — both posts of members and moderator actions — in at least a couple of threads. Admittedly, we’re playing a bit of catch-up here, so may take some time to do this.A couple of things to mention:
  • Per the Rules and Terms of Use, we do not allow non-Sponsor Members of the Trade to post what could reasonably be considered advertising or promotion of their goods and services. As Nayparm is a Member of the Trade, we’ll look over his post history and review any moderator actions taken.

• We’ve noticed from the thread that there seems to be comments and rumor that Music Sanctuary is somehow involved in any moderation decision, and that is not the case. The only thing Music Sanctuary contacted us about was to tell us they were unable to post, their profile’s posts being held in the moderator queue. We’re not sure how that happened, but we fixed that and they are able to post now.
Again, we’re reviewing everything here on this issue, and we’re asking for some calm here to allow us to read over everything. Let’s bring this thread back to discussing the Sony NW-WM1Z/A while we look into everything.

Thanks, everyone.

Best Regards,
Joe
Co-Administrator, Head-Fi.org

I'll be limiting myself to only posting possible future updates, probably in a new thread - just for the people here. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #45,679 of 45,723
I appreciate the upthread recommendations to help Mac users find a solution so the custom firmwares can be used. I used to use Parallels with a Windows 7 key years ago. I uninstalled Parallels (got tired of their yearly extortion, LOL) and must've also deleted the Windows 7 VM.

Given Apple's move to their own ARM-based silicone in the coming new year, I'm likely looking at buying a cheap Windows laptop. I have zero clue in which ways Windows will be an option for Mac users on Mac hardware going forward. I'm sure something will be worked out, but the uncertainty sure has me glad that I do not need Windows except for hobbyist endeavors such as this.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #45,680 of 45,723
I appreciate the upthread recommendations to help Mac users find a solution so the custom firmwares can be used. I used to use Parallels with a Windows 7 key years ago. I uninstalled Parallels (got tired of their yearly extortion, LOL) and must've also deleted the Windows 7 VM.

Given Apple's move to their own ARM-based silicone in the coming new year, I'm likely looking at buying a cheap Windows laptop. I have zero clue in which ways Windows will be an option for Mac users on Mac hardware going forward. I'm sure something will be worked out, but the uncertainty sure has me glad that I do not need Windows except for hobbyist endeavors such as this.
I am also using Mac and my solution is to buy the Windows 10 license and then install Windows 10 on Mac via Apple's Boot Camp process. Once installed, you can boot either to Windows 10 or to Mac OS as needed. It's simple and headache free. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #45,681 of 45,723

I just managed to install Parallels on my Mac (created a separate user profile), couldn't get it to work, so created a ticked with Support and they fixed it for me (I had a hissy fit and asked for a refund!!). Have managed to install Chameleon 2.0 on my 1A now :) just having a first listen.

I also considered a cheap windows laptop (as it would be useful for work purposes when WFH), but this will suffice (at least for now) as well as making the most of the custom FW.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #45,683 of 45,723
The heat is up guys! Tight up your pants there is a big tsunami wave on its way...
Every one meet-up at the bunkers!

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #45,685 of 45,723
there is a big tsunami wave on its way...
???????
D9F259FC-B25F-4583-8549-5FDE478CDC81.jpeg

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #45,687 of 45,723
Orion beta version for WM1A >> Here

Just update stock 3.02 firmware first and then install Orion sound tune firmware. Restart your walkman and that's it.
You can use back to stock tool also if prefer over the official update firmware. If any problem installing it let me know.

09/25/20
The current beta firmware seem to do fine with Extreme Pro card. Sound might be a bit too lean when play from internal storage.

09/26/20
Update v01 is now optimized for internal memory use also.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #45,690 of 45,723
I am using at office for a few days the WM1A + with MrWalkman Z++ 2.0 connected to a spare Speaker Amp TA-N55ES ... and results are just impressive with an Heddphone, a Z7M2 or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas.
But a bit monstrous on my office desk :smile: :smile: :smile:

So Even if I never had a chance to use it, I would love to go to a DMP-Z1, but almost impossible to get it Europe now ....
Actually, I am thinking, to go to an intermediate way with a Sony TA-ZH1ES => but not sure the DAC of the TA-ZH1ES connected to the WM1A and the only 2x1.2W available will be as impressive as Z++ 2.0 + TA-N55ES..
I feel pity I can't get an analog output of the Sony's dock station with WM1A .. as I only get an output for an external DAC and nothing else.
20200921_141123NW666.jpg

Great setup.
I am quite interested in the Heddphone and how it compares to the other TOTL headphones. Any comments on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back