SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #45,211 of 45,723
wich one are you using? does it bring 1A closer to 1Z?
I was using WM1AZ+ on my WM1A Region J configured as a 1A. Here is what I told MrWalkman when I was switching back and forth between the 1A and my 1Z:

"Where the 1Z still beats it in that the sound is fuller and warmer. The 1A now has comparable deep bass and soundstage. It's just not as full or warmer and a touch brighter. "

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #45,212 of 45,723
Chameleon in 1Z mode through a set of Moondrop S8 and @MrWalkman has (pun intended) put me Close To The Edge.

Awesome work once again

screenshot_20200916_185214275.png

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #45,214 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Are you tuning the sound by adjusting values eg 1-100? Are the sound changes to the firmwares measurable? Is it possible to create like a spider graph or even a simple percentage value to show the differences, or your perception of the differences between the stock (J) and your various firmwares for bass, treble, soundstage etc? Or like a graphic equaliser?
Obviously everyone's experience will differ with many variables but I was interested to see a visual representation of the firmwares if is was possible?

Thanks for your efforts

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #45,215 of 45,723
@MrWalkman Are you tuning the sound by adjusting values eg 1-100? Are the sound changes to the firmwares measurable? Is it possible to create like a spider graph or even a simple percentage value to show the differences, or your perception of the differences between the stock (J) and your various firmwares for bass, treble, soundstage etc? Or like a graphic equaliser?
Obviously everyone's experience will differ with many variables but I was interested to see a visual representation of the firmwares if is was possible?

Thanks for your efforts

While I get the curiosity, I can't get into these details unfortunately.

The changes should be measurable, though I can't tell for sure, of course. The changes are not that subtle as with trying tuning mods, and I'm being impartial.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #45,216 of 45,723
While I get the curiosity, I can't get into these details unfortunately.

The changes should be measurable, though I can't tell for sure, of course. The changes are not that subtle as with trying tuning mods, and I'm being impartial.
I don't have a mind to understand those details, I'll leave the inner workings of it all to you, I'm genuinely only hoping to see some kind of visual comparison. There are so many different things to listen out for with firmwares with different recordings of tracks or albums that it sometimes gets overwhelming to compare every aspect, that's were mind mind would appreciate something visual.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #45,217 of 45,723
Listening now and really like what I hear, great low end 👍, using chameleon in 1z mode on a 1a.

Totally unscientific test by me as i'm using 3.5mm out on a 90% complete Kaisei mod 😂
NayParm, get a good 4.4mm cable dude. At least, listen to your own work in all its gloriousness, for goodness sake 😂

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #45,218 of 45,723
Just listened to some test tracks and wow, tonally the 1A with Chameleon FW is very hard to distinguish from the 1Z at this point. If I'm being super picky in A/B-ing, the organic warmth that I love about the 1Z is now there in the 1A... except it feels like there might be a very slight difference in decay - as if the 1Z is presenting at a higher bit-depth. It could be cognitive bias though as I'm not blinding myself to test. :open_mouth:

Regardless, amazing work in advancing the 1A's "high fidelity", @MrWalkman.

thumbs-up.jpg

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #45,219 of 45,723
Just listened to some test tracks and wow, tonally the 1A with Chameleon FW is very hard to distinguish from the 1Z at this point. If I'm being super picky in A/B-ing, the organic warmth that I love about the 1Z is now there in the 1A... except it feels like there might be a very slight difference in decay - as if the 1Z is presenting at a higher bit-depth. It could be cognitive bias though as I'm not blinding myself to test. :open_mouth:

Regardless, amazing work in advancing the 1A's "high fidelity", @MrWalkman.

thumbs-up.jpg
This is great to see, and tonality was the first thing I noticed...

how do you feel about the soundstage on the 1A now? I can really say that in my opinion this latest work of magic has brought my FiiO FH7 to life, really showing me what they’re capable of!

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #45,220 of 45,723
Hi, MrWalkman. Thank you for this awesome update! I can feel the increase in soundstage even from the se output, and the vocals are so lovely! Loving it! Btw, are you planning to release this mod with older version OS (like 1.20)? Just asking... Because as 3.02 sounds so great, older versions should sound even more impressive! (person view). No matter you plan to do so or not, I want to show my great appreciation on the hard work you have done. Thank you!

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #45,221 of 45,723
This is great to see, and tonality was the first thing I noticed...

how do you feel about the soundstage on the 1A now? I can really say that in my opinion this latest work of magic has brought my FiiO FH7 to life, really showing me what they’re capable of!

I'm listening primarily on my IER-Z1R and the soundstage is very wide / exceptional, especially listening to tracks like the DSD of Dire Straits' Ride Across The River.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #45,224 of 45,723
well....I almost feel sad about having a 1z myself.....:disappointed_relieved:
I’m not. I’m glad I have both even tho I bought them used. We are lucky to have them and should appreciate them. I’m sure you do, tho :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #45,225 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back