SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #45,181 of 45,723
Can't be as bad as the stock artists like ”Paddy Fahey” or ”Snowflake”

Mmmm, I wonder if every region has different sucker/less sucker songs but in different languages and music genres??!

(Yes, this is crap I think about. Haha)
Nope, everyone is forced to endure the same samples.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #45,183 of 45,723
After a while, they grow on you. Also using new FW, they should theoretically sound better 😛

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #45,184 of 45,723
Yes, and a person like me did explore opera (in younger years) only to find it not interesting? Yet such surprise to have it reintroduced with soprano hot metal-chicks!? And....well recorded, and...........even though not original, still good?
I like female vocals in general and in hard rock and heavy metal specially. I agree, not specially original, but flawlessly executed. Gonna try it now with my Z7M2 and the WM1A. :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #45,185 of 45,723
While waiting...
IMG-20200916-WA0022.jpg

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #45,186 of 45,723
While we're waiting for the new firmware i'm still playing with other wm1 regions.
after tried in these two days between region J and MX3 i made my choice.
MX3 fit better to my ears,both are amazing regions but mx3 IMHO result more defined,with more resolution and better holographic soundstage,unfortunately miss the OONF bass that region J owns.
i tried also region like CN,U,E...but despite they've (IMHO) super resolution,but they're too anemic,and the image result flat for my ears.
It would be great edited,modify the various region code and unite their strengths ,creating a definitive region mix,the cn resolution,the MX3 soundtsage,the J bass cadence,and the U detail rendering :gs1000smile:
Will change to mx3 when I get home, by the way today is Mexican Independence Day! First one to be “from home”
Felt so weird...

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #45,187 of 45,723
It's sad it has to be this way, but the mods not available anymore. If you got hold of them, enjoy them! :)

Music is :heart:, forever.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #45,188 of 45,723
Sorry for the wait guys :)

Hard work has been done, and it's now here.

WM1A 2.0 firmware mods

The firmware mods are the same CHAMELEON, WM1A/Z+, and WM1A/Z++, but with the sound closer to the WM1Z signature.

These firmware mods cannot be installed on the WM1Z. The WM1Z already has the WM1Z sound signature anyway, so this will
be no different than just installing one of the current 1.4 version of these mods.

Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need to install the official 3.02 firmware before installing one of these mods?
No, you do not.

- What should I do in order to return to the stock firmware?
In the Google Drive folder I included a package that will restore the player to the stock 3.02 firmware. The package
is called "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)"

- If I switched the model to WM1Z, do I need to change the model back to WM1A before installing the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)"
package?
No, you do not need to change the model back. The package was made to also change the model back to WM1A if you did not
already changed it yourself. However, the Software Update Tool will say that the device did not respond. You will be able to see that
installing the stock firmware was done successfully, because the stock white Walkman logo will show up at startup instead of the orange Walkman logo.

- If I tried "CHAMELEON (WM1A 2.0)" and I want to try "WM1A/Z+ (WM1A 2.0)" for example, can I just install it, or do I need to install
the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package first?

You can just install the other modded firmware, you do not need to install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package first.

- What if I want to use the normal version of the CHAMELEON, WM1A/Z+, and WM1A/Z++ mods (the 1.4 version) instead of
the WM1A 2.0 version? Do I need to install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package?
If you want to fully restore the WM1A sound signature, then yes, you should install the "BackToStock 3.02 (WM1A 2.0)" package.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your feedback! :)

I will create a dedicated thread of the modded firmwares soon.

Awesome work mate 👍

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #45,189 of 45,723
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #45,190 of 45,723
Hey All!

Fun Fact: Paddy Fahey was a legend in Irish music and died at 102. Sadly, it doesn’t state anywhere that he was on all regions of the Holy Grail of all music players!

Paddy Fahey (or Fahy, 22 August 1916 – 31 May 2019) was an Irish composer and fiddler who was considered one of the finest living composers of tunes that are in the style of traditional Irish music.

He died in May 2019 at the age of 102

RIP Paddy Fahey almost made me feel bad when I deleted your song :frowning2:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Fahey

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #45,191 of 45,723
There is actually a separate partition where these songs are stored. This is why they're always back after a factory reset, even if you deleted them before. :)

The SD Formatting tool seems to recognize the internal memory when a Walkman is connected like a hard drive. I was tempted to try a full format on my ZX-300, and then either copy back the Sony directory structure or let the player do a quick format afterwards. According to a friend in the recording industry, he believes that random burst speed along with read (not write) speed can make an audible difference on playback.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #45,192 of 45,723
The SD Formatting tool seems to recognize the internal memory when a Walkman is connected like a hard drive. I was tempted to try a full format on my ZX-300, and then either copy back the Sony directory structure or let the player do a quick format afterwards. According to a friend in the recording industry, he believes that random burst speed along with read (not write) speed can make an audible difference on playback.

I think I’ve read that formatting the internal memory will terminally brick the player

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #45,193 of 45,723
I think I’ve read that formatting the internal memory will terminally brick the player

I can try this one of these days, and let you know if something goes wrong when formatting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back